Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

I don't see that settling has to be an issue, as I still refuse to believe that there isn't an American out there who can do the job as well as if not better than the guy in Terminator. When you state that an American would be second best somehow, it seems like the pool you guys are considering is pretty shallow--guys who were in starring or supporting roles in major movies or TV shows. There are innumerable guys on soap operas, doing commercials, in indie movies, acting in plays in LA and New York, etc. out there that no one has ever heard of, but who would probably show up for casting calls. And I'll bet you there are more than a small handful among that group who could do a fine job. Now, I'm sure that Marvel Studios would think twice about casting an unknown because of the affect it might have on revenue (people go to see movies because they know who an actor is), but that's a different issue.

I'll probably be alone in this but I'd like to see the role go to a smaller scale guy that is an American. My pick...

John Hamm of Mad Men
2a0mfxz.jpg

Alex Ross picked him, as well. I haven't seen much of the show, but I think it would be an inspired choice. Only problems are: 1) he ain't a pretty boy; and 2) he don't look like a guy in his early 20s.

Alex Ross picked him, as well. I haven't seen much of the show, but I think it would be an inspired choice. Only problems are: 1) he ain't a pretty boy; and 2) he don't look like a guy in his early 20s.

Ooooh, I didn't know anyone else was mentioning him. Let alone Alex Ross. I don't give a ____ about the 20s thing, and I'm pretty sure most women would find him a pretty boy. He's a great actor, which is the only checkmark left on my ballot.

You are preaching to the choir here. I think he could be a fantastic, seasoned Cap. However, I mention age because almost the entire movie will be early, WWII-era Cap. Even if he was 30, you could probably suspend disbelief on that level, but this guy is pushing 40. And I mention pretty boy because they seem to be targeting the guys who would make 16 year old girls swoon.

well, it's just been confirmed by THR that chris evans has been offered the role of cap. he hasn't accepted it yet but i'm guessing that's just a formality.

so, no more worries that a non-american will play the role. i like evans, he's the best choice out of all the announced candidates.

now it's just the script that's a big worry...

Rise of the Silver Surfer was one of the worst movies ever made. Horrible in every single way.

Hamm is a pretty boy, but he's way, way too old. As is the Human Target guy.

Just saw the MacGruber trailer - Ryan Phillippe could really pull it off. He has the look and he can act.

I still want this guy.

markvalley-interview-paley.jpg

I agree. I think he has the look and feel of Cap.

Hamm is a pretty boy, but he's way, way too old. As is the Human Target guy.

Just saw the MacGruber trailer - Ryan Phillippe could really pull it off. He has the look and he can act.

I think Ryan would be able to do this. I would like to see him bulk up for sure.

Dolph Lundgren would be perfect as cap.:D

270px-Dolph_Lundgren.jpg

Nah, he' would not be considered. He's not American. :duh

:rotfl:lol:rotfl

Hamm is a pretty boy
I guess so, if you mean in a Carey Grant sort of way. When I think "pretty boy," I'm imagining a guy who uses tweezers on his eyebrows, and who has pedicures. The almost overly feminine, metro-sexual types who would be particularly popular in prisons. I imagine that Evans and Phillippe fit into that category. Not so much Hamm.

Of course, this is influenced by the roles those guys pick, and how they come off based on that. In real life, who knows which of of these guys gets his chest waxed and wears a man-purse.

I will agree that Hamm is no Jack Elam.

Since the actor for this role will/should be Caucasian, i think it really does not matter if he is pure American or not since most Caucasian Americans are mutts anyway much like Canadians or Aussies or where ever, for most of us are real roots trace back to England or Scotland/Ireland and the rest of Europe.

Back