Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

Chris Evans just like Ryan Reynolds will suffer "The Will Smith Curse" where those who don't like them or have faith in them, once they do something "comedic" or to their goofy form people will say OF COURSE THEY DID! :lol

I like Reynolds, think he is funny but will be the first to admit that he if does those drawn out voice thing he does for comedic effect or goes cutesy cutesy in Green Lantern it'll take me out of it. Same with Evans, if we get the jock style in anything in Cap it'll make me cringe.

Re: Chris Evans Confirmed for "Captain America"!

Yep! Sunshine is one of his best roles.

Yeah Ann I did love him in Sunshine. Not so much in FF tho'. There is definitely potential and he will draw some of the girl crowd. (Altho if they cast Zac Efron it would be madhouse :p )

Chris Evans just like Ryan Reynolds will suffer "The Will Smith Curse" where those who don't like them or have faith in them, once they do something "comedic" or to their goofy form people will say OF COURSE THEY DID! :lol

I like Reynolds, think he is funny but will be the first to admit that he if does those drawn out voice thing he does for comedic effect or goes cutesy cutesy in Green Lantern it'll take me out of it. Same with Evans, if we get the jock style in anything in Cap it'll make me cringe.

What movie created the WS Curse? Wild Wild West?

After Heath Ledger as Joker I swore I'd never again go off on a casting choice before seeing the movie.

But...

In all fairness, how often have you ever been as surprised by a performance by an actor?

I would say Bad Boys. Even in the intense parts of the comedy he couldn't help but channel The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. In every film following no matter how well he is doing or how he draws you in, once he gives a Fresh Prince moment it pulls people out. Same went for Independence Day although more muted, Men in Black, etc.

With Evans though he has shown that he has some acting ability in his non "I'm a slacker with a heart of gold" roles but I don't think for a second that he has the acting chops to stand in the same room with Robert Downey Jr and Edward Norton and be able to hold his own as the most commanding and powerful person in the room meant to lead everyone instead of follow. Chris Helmsworth as Thor isn't as bad since in reality Thor is played plenty aloof in the Avenger especially the early ones and as long as Thor can look uninterested or full of angst then he'd be fine but Cap is something different. Cap has to go head to head with Tony on both practical and moral issues, he has to argue back Banner for the greater good and has to instill enough respect and enough strength to get them to follow him.

That very doubt and power dynamic with the actors should be mirrored with the characters and team and could make the movie stronger, or hobble it I suppose. Hopefully as Cap wins them over, Evans will do so with the audience as well. At least he gets his own film to cut his teeth before The Avengers.

I would say Bad Boys. Even in the intense parts of the comedy he couldn't help but channel The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. In every film following no matter how well he is doing or how he draws you in, once he gives a Fresh Prince moment it pulls people out. Same went for Independence Day although more muted, Men in Black, etc.

Hmmm....I see what u mean....I don't care for Evans not becuz he's a bad actor, cuz he really isn't....but becuz I don't think he's that all American man...u know...not EPIC enough. It's like when Van Damme was Guille in street fighter.

Honestly....i don't know who would fit the part.

BTW...This made me lawl:
Fresh_prince.jpg

Last edited:

Not sure about this choice. But i guess he deserves a chance.

Definitely in i Robot.

I'm hopeful about Chris Evans. He showed no signs of his "frat-boy" style in Sunshine. Frankly I was very surprised by his performance in that--it was like it was some completely different actor in the role. I know I, and others here, are putting a lot of stock in that ONE performance. But if he can do it there, there's no reason he can't rise to the occasion when he headlines this huge movie. I'm sure he recognized this is his chance to truly become a "leading man" and step up to the status of Cruise, Pitt, Willis, etc. He'll try his damnest to not screw this up.

And I'll say it again--the problem will ultimately be Joe Johnston.

We'll see Bam, I agree that he does need to have that epicness in order to play the Cap. I've always thought Matthew McConaughey would have been a good Cap. Good physiqe, got that commanding presence in Reign of Fire, and good ol american boy looks. Just needs to drop his accent.

Definitely in i Robot.

I'm hopeful about Chris Evans. He showed no signs of his "frat-boy" style in Sunshine. Frankly I was very surprised by his performance in that--it was like it was some completely different actor in the role. I know I, and others here, are putting a lot of stock in that ONE performance. But if he can do it there, there's no reason he can't rise to the occasion when he headlines this huge movie. I'm sure he recognized this is his chance to truly become a "leading man" and step up to the status of Cruise, Pitt, Willis, etc. He'll try his damnest to not screw this up.

And I'll say it again--the problem will ultimately be Joe Johnston.

I wholeheartidly agree with you man.

Regardless of my feelings on the Evans casting decision (which has been discussed extensively in the existing Captain America movie thread), the Ledger example doesn't mean much of anything. Just because lots of people who apparently didn't see or pay attention to Ledger's previous work and the range therein were nay-saying the choice to cast him as Joker doesn't mean that Carrot Top could make a great Ultron.

QFT

After seeing Ledger in "Lords of Dogtown" I was confident he had it in him to do the Joker justice. Evans on the other hand...I liked him in "Sunshine" :(

In all fairness, how often have you ever been as surprised by a performance by an actor?

Think about the first time Tom Hanks was cast in a serious role. Bosom Buddies anyone?

Think about the first time Tom Hanks was cast in a serious role. Bosom Buddies anyone?

Hanks was never really panned as an actor though... Sure, he was considered a "funny" actor at one time, as was Robin Williams, but he was still liked, respected, generally left a solid impression, and also showed acting range. Evans, on the other hand, has faced more adversity and criticism. He also hasn't really shown much acting range outside the fratboy thing he does. I'm not saying he can't do Cap. I just think he might have some obstacles ahead of him. I hope he pulls it off as it appears he's on board for 9 movie appearances.

Last edited:

As a one off film I can see this choice working. But for the Avengers? Can you see him leading Tony Stark, Bruce Banner etc? He is so much younger than those guys.

It has now been confirmed that Chris Evans (Fantastic Four) will play Steve Rogers, also known as Captain America, in the upcoming Marvel superhero film "The First Avenger: Captain America."

It was previously reported that the actor would get only $300,000 for the film and would have to sign for another nine options for future films, sequels, and spin-offs. Part of the deal is that Evans must reprise the role in "The Avengers," in which Captain America will team with Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and The Incredible Hulk (Edward Norton).

Director Joe Johnston (The Wolfman) is directing "Captain America" and Hugo Weaving has already signed on to play the villain, Red Skull. The new film is scheduled to hit theaters on July 22nd, 2011.

ChrisEvans_0.jpg

Love Chris Evans!!

Has anyone seen "London" ?

As a one off film I can see this choice working. But for the Avengers? Can you see him leading Tony Stark, Bruce Banner etc? He is so much younger than those guys.

I think age is a factor but it's doable. In the army, we had Captains who were much younger leading older master sargeants and other troops. It's going to be challenging for him to pull off and make it believable though, especially RDJ who has such a large screen presence.

I think age is a factor but it's doable. In the army, we had Captains who were much younger leading older master sargeants and other troops. It's going to be challenging for him to pull off and make it believable though, especially RDJ who has such a large screen presence.

And that could generate a lot of the drama. Stark doesn't take orders from anyone. Cap will have to earn his respect. And one of the traits of a great leader is being able to use your team in the best possible way. Stark will have to come to realize that he's too much of a showboat to be a leader.

Yeah...wasn't talking about carrot top. I was talking about about any real actor who can ACT. But thanks!
There was no implication in the previous posts referenced that acting ability should play any role in one's decision-making process, simply that one should not judge. . .however, pre-judging occurs when the one judging assumes that the one being judged can or cannot effectively act in a given situation before such situation arises. Hence the judgment. The determination of someone as having or not having the ability to act undercuts your initial argument.

He also hasn't really shown much acting range outside the fratboy thing he does.
The Sunshine movie people reference, he genuinely was good in it, and was not playing Johnny Storm. Was he Steve Rogers? No, but there is something there to suggest that he has potential. I think he has more potential than Van Wilder, though I will be the first to admit it if I am wrong.

Back