Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

Captain America's round shield did NOT debut in the "Silver Age" (maybe that was a simple typo on your part?)

Yes, it was a typo I do it everytime, I meant Golden Age shield. The Silver Age is defined for the most part with Marvel's entrance as Marvel and so I often forget that Marvel themselves has had quite a few heroes that were around in the Golden Age. I understand your point about Cap and keeping everything uniform but looking at the data from Marvel's films past where updates have always been done to the costume that recently have stayed out of the comic depictions and the strive is to make them more realistic and less "cartoony" for lack of a better word. I wouldn't get my hopes up on seeing Cap done as we are used to and while the Ultimates version is probably not going to be used something of a mix between the two is what we'll see.

I wouldn't mind having a Cap that looks like this for PART of the film...kind of what Iron Man did with Mk I and II before showing off Mk III...

SEP031944.jpg

Wasn't there some sort of copyright infringement that caused them to change the shield from the diamond to the circle?

Wasn't there some sort of copyright infringement that caused them to change the shield from the diamond to the circle?

Officially yes, Archie Comics (MLJ) threaten to bring suit because the Shield he carried resembled the main part of the character ironically called "The Shield" that was out at the time:

PepComics1.jpeg

Compared to:

1974ComicArtCon_book.jpg

As the storyline goes though the rounded shield is personally presented to him by President Franklin Roosevelt.

There are even two different Triangular shields in continuity with the 616 world. The original was given to the Black Panther and the second was stolen and given eventually to the Patriot from the Young Avengers.

I think I actually prefer his shield...shield over his round one...

And I'm sure Marvel can put that shield in the movie now...

The Shield can't still be going...

I believe the design rights were purchased officially by Marvel in the 1990s, that's why you see it used in many different capacities of the Marvel Universe now.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on seeing Cap done as we are used to and while the Ultimates version is probably not going to be used something of a mix between the two is what we'll see.

I just hope they keep the wings on his head. They might not make sense but its such an integral part of his look. If they wanted him to have other touches based on his modern look (boot laces, belt pouches) I won't throw a fit (ESPECIALLY if Rogers well cast and its a kick-ass flick). I still hope they at least try to give us a 100% iconic uniform. I think the PF shows how it can be done "realistically" for lack of a better word.

I believe the design rights were purchased officially by Marvel in the 1990s, that's why you see it used in many different capacities of the Marvel Universe now.

They probably picked up the rights even sooner than the 90's since original shield design popped back up during John Byrne's run in the early 80's.

stern_comic09.jpg

What's funny is that the retconned diamond shield (no blue stripes) is even closer to "The Shield's" costume than back during the time of the threatened legal action. :lol

Not sure if it was mentioned here or not yet with all the other Cap discussion but Matthew Mcconaughey was announced as not in the running for Cap by a couple of sites.

Well that's good news, to me at least.

Reading another article, anyone see anything out of place in this pic?

ironman-cptamerica-shield.jpg

That's good news though...means hopefully, we'll get his WW2 look (see my post a couple of pages back) for at least part of the film, and maybe the look of the EX PF otherwise...

I also hope Red Skull looks more like the Sideshow PF, and not with his lame green jumpsuit...

They best not screw this up...it would seem that Marvel finally got the superhero movie formula right...

LISTEN TO THE FANS!!!

They best not screw this up...it would seem that Marvel finally got the superhero movie formula right...

LISTEN TO THE FANS!!!

It's a novel concept that most other studios/movie properties can't seem to grasp.

Just glad that Matthew McConaughey is seemingly not in the running...

pic_05.jpg

Nazis man... Love 'em. The older I get-- they stay the same age.

Cap's gonna be set in WWII... man... that just made my day! DC should take notes - From Iron Man all the way to Avengers in 2011... Marvel is doing this RIGHT!

Yeah, I think with Marvel Studios in control of the money on all their projects now, all the movies will be a lot more comic accurate, which is how most of us fans always hope the movies will be.

After the Spider-Man franchise fiasco, they finally learned their lesson. To bad that Sony still owns the rights, because Marvel Studios might just have been able to bring it back from the major dick swallowing the last 2 movies have been. Oh well.

Reading another article, anyone see anything out of place in this pic?

ironman-cptamerica-shield.jpg

That's good news though...means hopefully, we'll get his WW2 look (see my post a couple of pages back) for at least part of the film, and maybe the look of the EX PF otherwise...

I also hope Red Skull looks more like the Sideshow PF, and not with his lame green jumpsuit...

LISTEN TO THE FANS!!!

Is that the Cap shield in the back?

It sure is...

Nick Fury the first reference...

BAH!!!

Back