Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

I like Viggo Mortensen or Brad Pitt as Cap.
Johnny Depp as Red Skull.
Gerard Butler as Thor.

I don't care, just as long as it is a good actor, a good script and no black leather!

Whoever they cast will have to eventually hold the screen with Downey and Jackson (and possibly Norton) so hopefully it's definitely actors who can act but the real dilemma is that they have to have a physical presence as well. The Iron Man suit provides RDJ with that physical presence--- whoever is going to play Cap (and Thor for that matter) have to stand next to that suit and look both imposing and intimidating..not intimidated.

Cole Hauser. :rock Just lighten his hair and he'd be perfect. Even Steve McNiven used his face as a template for Steve Rogers in "The Ultimates." Just pick up the issue in which he kicks the crap out of Giant Man, when he says, "Why? I look to you like the kinda guy who'd start a fight?"

It's the same book that gave us a Nick Fury that resembled Sam Jackson, and a Thor that resembled Brad Pitt. Case in point:

CaptainAmerica_Thor.jpg

I think if he's given the attention to detail and history that Iron Man was ...Cap would be awesome. I am not much on the Ultimate Universe (except for Spidey), so I hope its 616 cap we are going to see. But it'll probably be an amalgamation of the two Universes. While I was glad to see Nick Fury make his cameo in another film recently, I really wish it was the 616 Fury. The Ultimate Fury is a radically different character, and has none of the WW2 history/friendship with Cap that made him a sweet character. Even thoguh Samuel L. Jackson is one bad.... shut your mouth.:D

Every single one of the Ultimates Avengers were based off of actor's likenesses but the only one to sign off on the likeness rights were SLJ so they will continue to deny that there were any other templates even though interviews with both Millar and Hitch confirm it.

I haven't browsed an Ultimates book in a while but wasn't Bruce Banner based off of Bill Gates?

I know he probably can't act well...but I believe the BEST physical resemblence for Ultimate Thor is the wrestler, Triple H.

hhh.jpg

I know theres a few drawings of Ultimate Thor where Triple H is used as the reference.

I know he probably can't act well...but I believe the BEST physical resemblence for Ultimate Thor is the wrestler, Triple H.

hhh.jpg

I know theres a few drawings of Ultimate Thor where Triple H is used as the reference.

He wasn't atrocious when he was a vampire in Blade 3... However I believe he's slimmed down quite considerably in comparison to what he once was in the pre-Benoit roid rage WWE...

I thought he was originally Steve Buscemi.

In attitude but not likeness.....I can't seem to find the interview where Hitch names all the stars and too lazy to go into the garage and find the Ultimates issues.

I think if he's given the attention to detail and history that Iron Man was ...Cap would be awesome. I am not much on the Ultimate Universe (except for Spidey), so I hope its 616 cap we are going to see. But it'll probably be an amalgamation of the two Universes. While I was glad to see Nick Fury make his cameo in another film recently, I really wish it was the 616 Fury. The Ultimate Fury is a radically different character, and has none of the WW2 history/friendship with Cap that made him a sweet character. Even thoguh Samuel L. Jackson is one bad.... shut your mouth.:D

They could use the history aspect of the 616 universe and just use the face of the Ultimate universe.

SWEET!!! Looks like I was right about the Cap movie being set during WWII

Captain America movie will be set in World War II
Thursday May 22, 2008, 8:09 am

Marvel’s Captain America movie, planned for a May 2011 release, will be a period film, set during World War II.

So says Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige, who spoke to online journalists yesterday at Universal Studios about The First Avenger: Captain America and other projects.

That would seem to imply the movie will stay at least relatively true to the character’s comic-book origin, and tie directly into the Super-Soldier Serum references in The Incredible Hulk.

On that note, Feige confirmed speculation about a certain object glimpsed in a laboratory scene from Iron Man: Yes, that’s Captain America’s shield.

He also provided a few more details on Thor, saying that it will take place largely in Asgard, mythical home of the Norse gods: “”The film is not all Asgard, but it will be a big chunk in Asgard, yeah.”

Screenwriter Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, The Cell) is expected to submit a draft of the script in a couple of weeks.

If you've read the first arc of the Ultimates this makes sense. So that means the Captain America design will most likely be the 1942 version with the Modern design not officially making itself known until the Avengers film.

If you've read the first arc of the Ultimates this makes sense. So that means the Captain America design will most likely be the 1942 version with the Modern design not officially making itself known until the Avengers film.

Unless they have him upgrade his suit and shield pretty early on like they did with the Iron Man movie. Remember that his "modern" attire and shield were all upgrades during his early days in WWII. Its not like he picked up his round shield when they thawed him from the ice.

A period film?!? FANTASTIC!!! That's awesome! I can't wait for this movie! Captain America is my favorite hero; this will be great!

I was thinking about this last night ... if they get an A-list actor for Cap and Thor, could you imagine the payroll on any Avengers film? This is why I think they will go with a lesser (or maybe even unknown) actor for these roles. No one wants to see their budget blown out on cast. Unless they offer some majorly sweet back-end deal for a % of gross and merchandising.

Unless they have him upgrade his suit and shield pretty early on like they did with the Iron Man movie. Remember that his "modern" attire and shield were all upgrades during his early days in WWII. Its not like he picked up his round shield when they thawed him from the ice.

Nope. Unless they do the thawing in this film, he never wears the modern uniform or the modern shield during WWII. Even in 616, the original versions he doesn't, further changes have been made but I doubt this storyline will take that aim. He is frozen, then thawed and then given the new stuff by SHIELD in the Ultimates and judging by the connections to the HULK (in Ultimates Banner is working on replicating the Super Soldier Serum) and IRON MAN (in Ultimates, Stark Tech funds a lot of the Ultimates gear and they've made reference to the shield already) I wouldn't expect anything modern in this film. It'll about how he became Captain America throughout a big battle end with a freezing and since the Avenger film is right after this, that's where he'll be unfrozen, modernized and take lead of the team.

Nope. Unless they do the thawing in this film, he never wears the modern uniform or the modern shield during WWII. He is frozen, then thawed and then given the new stuff by SHIELD in the Ultimates and judging by the connections to the HULK (in Ultimates Banner is working on replicating the Super Soldier Serum) and IRON MAN (in Ultimates, Stark Tech funds a lot of the Ultimates gear and they've made reference to the shield already) I wouldn't expect anything modern in this film. It'll about how he became Captain America throughout a big battle end with a freezing and since the Avenger film is right after this, that's where he'll be unfrozen, modernized and take lead of the team.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. Flesh out the other stuff in Hulk and then do this movie during WWII. Then when the Avengers movie comes around, that's when they bring Cap back. Killer storyline in the making. And I guess we will see even more in IM2!!

Nope. Unless they do the thawing in this film, he never wears the modern uniform or the modern shield during WWII.

He sure does, starting with issue #2 in 1941. The blue ring around his shield was retconned out after Timely Comics became Marvel and they reintroduced him in Avengers #4.

cap2.jpg

Back