Captain Action get's DC license and expands Marvel characters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People looking for high end Hot Toys type figures need to move along.
:goodpost:
Noticed that too. :lol They're not even using their own products there. These will just end up looking like crap like Cap and Spidey. Nice try CA! :rotfl
Haha that was the first thing I noticed too! :lol

But I don't think I'll be able to resist superman if he does indeed come with a Clark Kent set of clothes along with that CK head
I wouldn't say they look like crap, they retain the charm of the original.
Yep, love the classic look of these

Noticed that too. :lol They're not even using their own products there. These will just end up looking like crap like Cap and Spidey. Nice try CA! :rotfl

Thus the term "mock-up". Its a matter of opinionas to how they look. They sold out tquickly thru their first Toys R Us shipment leaving vans wanting more. Of course, if you're not a fan, then this thread really isn't for you. I'd much rather have these in my collection than the horribly oversized DC 13" offerings.

Thus the term "mock-up". Its a matter of opinionas to how they look. They sold out tquickly thru their first Toys R Us shipment leaving vans wanting more. Of course, if you're not a fan, then this thread really isn't for you. I'd much rather have these in my collection than the horribly oversized DC 13" offerings.

:exactly: I didn't buy the ones ToysRUs carried, but they definitely stirred up the nostalgia in me and made me want them. If I had unlimited space I probably would have bought them just due to the fact that they are fairly cool for the price.

I picked up extra Caps at TRU. Still sheaper than picking up half (if not more) ofthe bodies available from other mfrs.

Soooo, you're saying these would look good stacked with your Marvel Famous Cover editions in the attic? :lol

They are better than Famous Covers in every way.

In the 60's you had GIJoe or Captain Action.

Captain-Action-Spider-Man.JPG

I'm sure they are, they look nice, I've been tempted a few times, but I couldn't help think of all those Marvel Cover figs you posted pics of.

:lol

That old complaint IM? Get over it! They're only "horribly oversized" if you insist on all your figures being compatible scale-wise. As a line, the DCD figures look great together, and I have no need to display them with other lines.
As far as quality goes, the DCD figures blow the Captain Action sets out of the water. I really wanted to love the new Captain Action (hey, I had several of the original sets as a youngster back in the late 60s), but the quality just isn't there. The costumes are made of cheap fabric, with silk-screened details, and don't fit the CA figure very well. Most of the accessories are sub-par: the boots for Captain America have a sticky/tacky feel to them, the belt won't stay on, and the mask and head are over-sized. The shield is pretty nice, but the gloved hands are quite under-sized. And the range of motion in the CA hands aren't any better than with the DCD figures. OK, no cut joints with CA, so I guess that's a point in their favor!
I get the "kitsch" appeal of the CA line, and they do evoke a nostalgic feeling for me, since I had the originals, but in no way do they look better on a shelf than the DCD 13" line. I can't see them appealing to the action figure collector of today, spoiled as they are by Hot Toys offerings. As far as price goes, they aren't that much less than what I paid for the majority of my DCD 13" figures: if you factor in the cost of a base CA figure, you'll pay $50-70 for a figure and costume set, depending on whether you get the standard or deluxe versions. I got most of my DCD figures for less than $70.
Even though I was disappointed with Spider-Man and Captain America, I may get some of the forthcoming CA sets, particularly Iron Man and Thor, since I always wanted them to do those 2 characters back in the 60s. I find it amusing that they used the DCD 13" Classic Batman to do a mock-up with; there's no way the final CA product will look that good. I'm glad you're satisfied with them, but I find them lacking, at least thus far.

Anyway, here's a pic I took of the new CA Captain America set, next to the vintage set from the 60's:

DSCF1596.jpg

:lol

That old complaint IM? Get over it! They're only "horribly oversized" if you insist on all your figures being compatible scale-wise. As a line, the DCD figures look great together, and I have no need to display them with other lines.
As far as quality goes, the DCD figures blow the Captain Action sets out of the water. I really wanted to love the new Captain Action (hey, I had several of the original sets as a youngster back in the late 60s), but the quality just isn't there. The costumes are made of cheap fabric, with silk-screened details, and don't fit the CA figure very well. Most of the accessories are sub-par: the boots for Captain America have a sticky/tacky feel to them, the belt won't stay on, and the mask and head are over-sized. The shield is pretty nice, but the gloved hands are quite under-sized. And the range of motion in the CA hands aren't any better than with the DCD figures. OK, no cut joints with CA, so I guess that's a point in their favor!
I get the "kitsch" appeal of the CA line, and they do evoke a nostalgic feeling for me, since I had the originals, but in no way do they look better on a shelf than the DCD 13" line. I can't see them appealing to the action figure collector of today, spoiled as they are by Hot Toys offerings. As far as price goes, they aren't that much less than what I paid for the majority of my DCD 13" figures: if you factor in the cost of a base CA figure, you'll pay $50-70 for a figure and costume set, depending on whether you get the standard or deluxe versions. I got most of my DCD figures for less than $70.
Even though I was disappointed with Spider-Man and Captain America, I may get some of the forthcoming CA sets, particularly Iron Man and Thor, since I always wanted them to do those 2 characters back in the 60s. I find it amusing that they used the DCD 13" Classic Batman to do a mock-up with; there's no way the final CA product will look that good. I'm glad you're satisfied with them, but I find them lacking, at least thus far.

They're only "horribly oversized" if you insist on all your figures being compatible scale-wise.
Well, DUH! I collect 1:6 scale so yes, when something is released, and promoted as being 1:6 scale I do expect them to be compatible with the rest of my collection.
Captain Action was meant to compete with GI Joe 40+ years ago, but he's not completing with Hot Toys so the comparisons there are unfair. He is meant to still be a toy for kids and an option for those collectors that don't want to spend $150 or more for a Nick Fury that isn't even what we grew up with. He's an affordable throwback to when you could go to a toy store and come home with a figure.
And he fits in with the rest of the collection. :)
He has succeeded and its great to see him back!

Here's a pic of my "horribly oversized" DCD 13" Hawkman custom (still need to do some touch-ups and add a mace & shield):

DSCF2463.jpg

Finally you admit it! :monkey3

I'm not saying you haven't done some AMAZING customs with them. And if you ever cast/sell copies of that Hawkman mask, LMK.

Captain Action was meant to compete with GI Joe 40+ years ago, but he's not completing with Hot Toys so the comparisons there are unfair. He is meant to still be a toy for kids and an option for those collectors that don't want to spend $150 or more for a Nick Fury that isn't even what we grew up with. He's an affordable throwback to when you could go to a toy store and come home with a figure.

Re-read my post; I'm not saying he's competing with Hot Toys (obviously, you can't expect a $50-70 set to measure up to a $200+ high end collectible). I'm saying that modern collectors used to seeing Hot Toys quality are not going to view Captain Action favorably. CA can and apparently does appeal to older collectors who grew up with him, but I don't see many under-30 collectors being impressed enough to support the line. My post was more a response to you comparing CA to the DCD line (you can never pass up an opportunity to bash on the scale).
I have read several times on various boards that these seem to be selling well in pockets of the country, but not in my area. Our Toys-R-Us got the standard Spider-Man and Captain America sets before Easter, and there are still multiples of each clogging the shelves. And as far as I know, TRU was the only brick-n-mortar option for the sets, making the overall availability of them pretty low: selling well at TRU doesn't statistically mean much in the absence of WalMart, Target, and other more prolific retailers. If they don't ultimately convince other retailers to carry this line, it will die like the Mattel Retro-Action "Mego" figures. I bought the Deluxe sets from BBTS 7 months ago, and they still have both available.

Finally you admit it! :monkey3

I'm not saying you haven't done some AMAZING customs with them. And if you ever cast/sell copies of that Hawkman mask, LMK.

Thanks for the compliment, IM. As I've said, I think as a line the DCD-ers look great together. Eventually, I plan to do a bunch of Marvel figures, so I don't need to mix them in with other lines for my purposes.
The Hawkman head was actually pieced together using a Classic Batman DCD head, ears from a Martian Manhunter head, the wings from a Famous Covers Thor helmet (!), and a beak that I molded out of sculpy. Sculpting is not a particular strength of mine, so I usually try to modify an existing head when doing new characters.

Re-read my post; I'm not saying he's competing with Hot Toys (obviously, you can't expect a $50-70 set to measure up to a $200+ high end collectible). I'm saying that modern collectors used to seeing Hot Toys quality are not going to view Captain Action favorably. CA can and apparently does appeal to older collectors who grew up with him, but I don't see many under-30 collectors being impressed enough to support the line. My post was more a response to you comparing CA to the DCD line (you can never pass up an opportunity to bash on the scale).
I have read several times on various boards that these seem to be selling well in pockets of the country, but not in my area. Our Toys-R-Us got the standard Spider-Man and Captain America sets before Easter, and there are still multiples of each clogging the shelves. And as far as I know, TRU was the only brick-n-mortar option for the sets, making the overall availability of them pretty low: selling well at TRU doesn't statistically mean much in the absence of WalMart, Target, and other more prolific retailers. If they don't ultimately convince other retailers to carry this line, it will die like the Mattel Retro-Action "Mego" figures. I bought the Deluxe sets from BBTS 7 months ago, and they still have both available.

My friend, I'm not looking to argue points. (and I wasn't comparing the two, I was saying how much better Cap is :rotfl) Bottom line to me is that DCD sell their figures as 1:6. They are not. If all the superheroes were so tall in reality, their arch enemies would have picked them off no problem as their secret identities would have towered over everyone else. Sell them as 13" heroes, call them something completely new, just NOT 1:6.
They went with TRU as I don't think there are any other nationwide TOY stores anymore. We used to have Childworld and a bunch of others but not any more. The discount stores like WalMart, Target, etc....all want to buy them cheap to sell them cheap, that would mean a compromise of quality.
Sorry, to hear they aren't selling in your area. I kept missing out in mine. If they ever clearance them by you PLMK!! :wink1:

Re-read my post; I'm not saying he's competing with Hot Toys (obviously, you can't expect a $50-70 set to measure up to a $200+ high end collectible). I'm saying that modern collectors used to seeing Hot Toys quality are not going to view Captain Action favorably.

Your logic here is flawed though. Any idiot who'd dare compare them to Hot Toys is just that. Only a complete imbecile would hold a $30 action figure to the same standard and expectations of one that's $200+.

Your logic here is flawed though. Any idiot who'd dare compare them to Hot Toys is just that. Only a complete imbecile would hold a $30 action figure to the same standard and expectations of one that's $200+.

:goodpost::exactly: Yup! Apples and Oranges. As already discussed earlier in the thread, these appeal to a different collecting facet as opposed to what I get from HT.

Yes, but even modern action figures that are closer (or even less) in price have more detail than Captain Action. CA will appeal to older collectors where nostalgia is a factor, but younger collectors will doubtless pass them by unimpressed and pick up Marvel Universe, Marvel Legends, or some other more-detailed line. CA just looks goofy; I can't see it appealing to anyone not already predisposed to collecting retro figures.

Yes, but even modern action figures that are closer (or even less) in price have more detail than Captain Action. CA will appeal to older collectors where nostalgia is a factor, but younger collectors will doubtless pass them by unimpressed and pick up Marvel Universe, Marvel Legends, or some other more-detailed line. CA just looks goofy; I can't see it appealing to anyone not already predisposed to collecting retro figures.

Again, more flawed logic. Both my 3-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter like the Captain Action superhero figures (my daughter's disappointed there're no females). Given the pricepoint and the fact that they're carried at TRU and stocked with the Marvel figures, I think you're off in who you think is the target audience. In your narrow view, I understand what you're saying, but if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, you'll see how flawed that narrow perspective actually is. That's not even addressing the cross-playability with boys having a 12" alternative to their sister's Barbies. And yet even more so when you factor in that a single figure has the ability to dress up as any one of the hero-kits they're providing. These have mass-market appeal to a vastly broader audience than you're giving them credit for because you're stuck in the high-end collector mentality.

I don't know about mass-market appeal (buying for kids and whatnot), but talking just about collector interest: I'm in my 20s, never had any cloth-type figures of any kind (grew up with Ninja Turtles and old He-Mans, didn't know cloth figures existed) and I still find them very appealing. I don't think it's driven by nostalgia or requires that to be interested.

There's certainly going to be people uninterested in these but I don't think it's down to age. I think it's more likely the difference between those who buy figures because "it's from that movie/comic I like," who are looking for a mini-representation of what they saw in a film that can move but has no joints showing; and those who pick up figures often because they just like "toys," not what has the most detail, or what has no joints showing, or what looks exactly like the actor or is in scale, etc, just people who enjoy a visually appealing or interesting toy. I think that is where the larger collector interest would come from, not people who grew up on them.

Back