Buffy Season 8 —SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terrific arc, ending with some nice foreshadowing of things to come.

Dracula's now a run-of-the-mill vampire (but since he has his sword back, he can probably restore his full-powers); Willow is up to... what? This is the sub-plot I'm most interested in seeing play out; Buffy's alone, again, left to find what comfort she can — who will she turn to next? Xander's alone again, too — and in civies, and not shaving... surely no good can become of this?!?

And speaking of Willow, separated at birth, much?

Saga Vasuki from S8 #10 & 15:

wllw_sgvsk_01.jpg

wllw_sgvsk_02.jpg

And, "from the pit of forgotten shadows," Proserpexa, Willow's "sister of the dark" from S6 "Grave."

grave_01.jpg

grave_02.jpg

Different names and one's a snake-lady and the other's a lady-with-a-snake, but still...

Spoiler for S8 #18: What's up with Dawnie?!? Wonder if she's still ginormous?

Here's a link to the description for issue 18 at Comics Continuum (scroll down to the 8th entry).

Perhaps engaging in sexual congress with a Thricewise, as the name may imply, puts Dawn through more than one change:

Once = Giant Dawn

Twice = Centauride Dawn (possibly Giant Centauride Dawn!)

Thrice = ??? Dawn

Fun stuff ahead!

Last edited:
Wow. What an action-packed issue.

I'm also sad to see Renee go. Poor Xander. I don't know how many times that can happen to you without becoming bitter. I see a longish period of self-imposed hermitdom coming.

I really loved how they handled the whole Batsu thing, including the one-more-for-the-road ending. And I dunno, but I get the sense we'll see Satsu some time down the line, so I wouldn't part out your Satsu custom yet, Anzik. I give it a year before she shows up in another story line.

And snake-woman-goddess? Ew. Looks like Willow's been into some weird stuff while she was lone-wolfing it.

I thought this season started out really slow. Really slow, but with this arc, it's picked up a lot of momentum. Yay! Time to break out my copy of Fray and brush up on that mythos.

Thank god I found a comic book shop on my way to work. If only it consistently stocked Angel, too. I haven't been able to keep up with that book so I'm waiting for the collection.

Got issue 16, with Joss back at the writing helm.

Good issue. I’m a little surprised to see Xander back at work and am squirming to know how many more of his charges he lost with Warren’s missile attack.

The Dawn story is really weird. Really. Weird.

I recognized Vi on Jeanty’s cover, but only caught that she was the NY unit leader after the re-read. Heheh. I can be dense. But Willow called her “Violet” in the limo and it went right over my head.

I still think Warren and Amy are lame lame lame. Way to minimize Willow’s crime, guys. But hey, if you brought him back, why not Tara? Death really is just the beginning on this show, init?

However—omigod, I actually liked Kennedy in this issue. A lot. Maybe I shouldn’t say that out loud. TPTB are liable to kill her off now.

I had just reread Fray before picking this issue up so I’m ready for 17!

BTW, did they postpone the first Angel collection? I thought it was supposed to come out earlier this month.

I just ordered the Angel HC from instocktrades.com so it must be out.

I got the first 3 or 4 issues as they came out but decided $4 was too much for a comic. If I'm spending that much I'd rather wait for a hardcover.

Dusting off an old thread...

Anyone still reading these?

SPOILER FOR #19 AHEAD

I picked up #19 yesterday, which ended the "Time of Your Life" episode (Fray/future Dark Willow) with Joss writing and penciled by Karl Moline, the original Fray artist.

I confess to being baffled when I closed the book. I didn't get the point of this episode--I mean, I get that it's supposed to be a step toward reconciling Buffy and Willow's somewhat ambivalent relationship so far in season 8, but that doesn't have as much meaning as I think it should since to me the characters themselves are still kind of fuzzily drawn (pun intended) to this point. Buffy is questioning her leadership of the army of slayers, I get. Willow...? not sure what it was supposed to say about present Willow past with the weird snake-goddess stuff and the future Dark Willow. That she's on the path to dark magic again, even if she doesn't know it? Why? And the suicide-by-Slayer future of a magically drained DW? Are we supposed to be drawing a line between A and B?

The snake goddess I guess was actually looking out for Willow by not wanting her to see how dark she'd become. I did feel some of her affection there. Interesting how Joss wrote it so Willow is but she isn't cheating on Kennedy when she communes with Saga Vasuki. I won't say more about that for those of you who didn't read #18 yet.

It will be interesting to see how much Buffy reveals of the future she saw to Willow. Willow does seem bothered with how she communicates with SV. Will she stop the affair?

I guess I'm being too fussy but I am not surprised by my bafflement since I have always had a hard time with Joss's comics. It was the same for X-Men and Runaways. He writes brilliant dialogue, that's always been one of his major strengths, but I think conveying the rhythm of speech graphically is really hard when you're not handling both (i.e. writing and graphcis). It doesn't help that the graphics are themselves stylized differently than how I perceive the characters visually (biased heavily toward the tv actors--sorry, I'm narrow-minded and probably will be for awhile about that) that I find it difficult to tell who's who. It took me awhile to figure out who it was in the last panel of the rooftop future battle between F/B/DW. With the tv shows, it was uncanny how everything came together--writing, effects (which I thought were the weakest aspect, honestly), and acting. 80% of the episodes were above average tv. The other 20% was average. Very few stinkers. It would be hard to get the same results in a compeltely different medium. I think the same could be said for a movie, come to think of it.

Anyway, if anyone has any conflicting or other thoughts on what the meaning of this arc was, I'd like to hear them. The next episode I understand will be more of a fluffy one-shot, so we ought to have plenty of time to form opinions/guesses as to where this season is going.

Anyone picked up #22 yet?

The last issue with Harmony Bites was great. Jane Espenson did an awesome job.

This one was pretty funny.

I got 22. I thought they'd do the slayers-outed route at some point, but this is a little earlier than I figured. Then again, it's coming on two years with the comic book, though I guess technically they're only on the fifth episode.

I like that they kept Satsu around, and honestly, season 8 Kennedy is much more appealing than the season 7 version. Love Jo Chen's covers, including this month's. Writing wasn't as sublte in 22, but still entertaining. I'm enjoying it much more than the Angel comic, though with their last issue, at least that book's becoming recognizable again. Don't normally go for do-overs, but the LA-Hell story really deserved it IMO, though it looks like Wes and Fred truly are gone for good now.

I’ve finished 23, which reads a lot like a one-shot, a character study of Andrew, though there is a bit of an advance on Buffy's character re. her leadership style and decision-making. Although Andrew has grown on me along with Kennedy since season 7, I will say this wasn’t a very entertaining issue. It had very little humor, the writing/pencils were mediocre, and it seemed to be rather serious i.e., Andrew’s continuing redemption. Andrew and serious—call me shallow, but to me that equals boring. I was also meh about Simone, head of the criminal slayers. Buffy should’ve put the slap-down on her and taken her out for good, restoring the stuff the biyatch stole from the poor villagers. Instead, she’s left to continue to be annoying down the line. I’m not impressed.

On a positive note, looks like Giles and Faith return in the next episode. Thank god. They’re two of my favorite characters and hopefully it’ll give the creative team a chance to restock on the Buffy/Willow/Xander stories.

Yeah you're right Binky, the most thrilling thing in the issue was the preview.

Andrew still hasn't grown on me, and the whole thing was so clearly a vehicle, and a slow moving one at that, it seemed pretentious. I mean Andrew's 'growth' could have been summed up in a few panels.

I just read #26 this morning.

I'm glad they're finally focusing more on the main story after a bunch of stand a lone issues. Things are really starting to pick up! :rock

Is everyone still reading season 8? They are going to be doing a season 9, which is great. It's supposed to be another 40 issues. YAY.

Is anyone doing what I am doing? Getting the regular, variant and the TPB when they come out? I even get hard plastic top loaders for my variants to keep them extra safe. :)

I am reading season 8 but am behind about 10 issues ( sucks i know) i have them, i buy them when they comeout, just haven't had a chance to read them cause stupid work is getting in the way!!!

has it been confirmed that season 8 will finish at 40 issues, and they are doing a season 9 as well??

That would be awesome!!!

I am reading season 8 but am behind about 10 issues ( sucks i know) i have them, i buy them when they comeout, just haven't had a chance to read them cause stupid work is getting in the way!!!

has it been confirmed that season 8 will finish at 40 issues, and they are doing a season 9 as well??

That would be awesome!!!

Yep, that's what we heard thus far. Season 8 with 40, and then season 9. :)

I am behind too. We buy all the issues when they come out but we stopped reading at issue 21. We will catch back up soon I hope.

Oh so your in the same boat as me then :D

Thats Fantastic news about season 9!!!

I still have to buy issue 30, i really want that AH! cover!!

Oh so your in the same boat as me then :D

Thats Fantastic news about season 9!!!

I still have to buy issue 30, i really want that AH! cover!!

I have to pick up issues 29. I didn't know it was out. Gotta check my folder at my comic shop.

So I've NEVER read ANY Buffy comics books, but as Buffygirl eluded to, will they be making a TPB for the complete 8th Season? I prefer TPB/HC.

And can someone tell me what "Onibus" is???

I see popular comic book titles released in TPB under this title, and it just dawned on me that I have NO idea what it means. :lol I noticed a BTVS: Onibus is available and there are multiple.

An omnibus is a book of previously published works (i.e., reprints). In this case, the Buffy omnibuses are TPB collections (no hardcover so far) of the previous Dark Horse Buffy comics that were released while the show was on the air. So far they have released 7 books in roughly chronological order, with book seven covering stories that took place during season 4/5 of the show. There's a lot of debate whether these stories can be considered part of canon.

Dark Horse has been releasing the season 8 TPBs by story arc, so each book has covered 5 monthly comics. So far 4 have been released. They are releasing the 5th book, which will have the "Predator and Prey" issues, #21-25, in October. I haven't heard of a hardcover that would include the entire season once it wraps up in a year or so, but it would make sense.

Back