Buffy Season 8 —SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished reading the Willow Wonderland TPB and it's a clear sign to me a turnaround is not coming to this series and I can safely stop investing interest and funds in Buffy season 9. It boggles my mind how the writers of the comic books could have trivialized the DW storyline by 'resurrecting' Warren and Rack and turning Willow into... whatever she is. Something unrecognizable. Disappointed to say the least.

I pick up Angel & Faith when the TPBs come out. Still liking that one so far. I hear rumors of a Firefly series from Dark Horse, too, but I don't think I'll be bothering. Such a disappointment no live action projects ever came from these great shows other than the Serenity movie.

I need to check back in with what's been going on in the buffy-verse, just curious. Been out of the loop for a minute now. I quit season 8 about 35 issues in, it was pretty terrible.

I'd love to see the universe revisited again somehow, but I guess that ship sailed some time ago. A new game would be cool, randomly put the old x-box one on the other day.

I need to check back in with what's been going on in the buffy-verse, just curious. Been out of the loop for a minute now. I quit season 8 about 35 issues in, it was pretty terrible.

I'd love to see the universe revisited again somehow, but I guess that ship sailed some time ago. A new game would be cool, randomly put the old x-box one on the other day.

"Pretty terrible" is an understatement imo. Disastrous load of old crap is what I'd call them. And sadly it didn't get any better. :(

I try to not want too much, that way, I tend not to get disappointed and sometimes am pleasantly surprised. I think season 8 peaked with the 3rd arc, Wolves at the Gate (Drew Goddard), and it's been either treading water or sinking since.

I do know some fans who enjoy the comics, but I've noticed it largely depends on how much you liked what happened with the franchise in season 7. Season 7 is pretty much the last on my list of favorite seasons. Personally, I think Buffy could've ended with season 5 and I would've been satisfied. There were some great one-off episodes in season 6 (Once More, obviously), but I honestly think I would've preferred ending Buffy on a high rather than the changes they started with season 6 and finished making in season 7.

Season 8 is really an extension of the changes they made in season 7. I think that's both the strength and the weakness of season 8 (and 9), that they're canon. It's the only form of official Buffy we have, and it looks more and more like we'll likely ever have. I hung on for the Willow mini-series because she really is my favorite Buffy character. But I struggle to recognize her in the Wonderland arc.

As for Angel 6, sigh... As much as Buffy season 8 struggled to recapture the magic, I think Angel 6 was only half as successful.

But, YMMV. And as I mentioned before, I still do enjoy the Angel and Faith book.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm afraid to say I agree. The art for Angel and Faith is good, but dear god I find Jeanty's art-style and his version of the characters absolutely terrible.

His seeming desire to draw his characters like there some kind of stunted kids just makes my skin crawl. *shudder*

So basically, it's not worth catching up on? I'm only a few issues into S8.

Imo no. I think they just serve to sully the good name of the franchise with it's crackfic approach to writing. At the end of 'season' 8 I truly felt embarrassed to be called Buffy fan it was that awful.

Yeah, I'm afraid to say I agree. The art for Angel and Faith is good, but dear god I find Jeanty's art-style and his version of the characters absolutely terrible.

His seeming desire to draw his characters like there some kind of stunted kids just makes my skin crawl. *shudder*

Imo no. I think they just serve to sully the good name of the franchise with it's crackfic approach to writing. At the end of 'season' 8 I truly felt embarrassed to be called Buffy fan it was that awful.

Wow!! Well, makes feel better about NOT being caught up with the comics. I may in the future, but judging by everyone's thoughts, I probably won't rush things.

Back