Buffy Season 8 —SPOILERS!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An omnibus is a book of previously published works (i.e., reprints). In this case, the Buffy omnibuses are TPB collections (no hardcover so far) of the previous Dark Horse Buffy comics that were released while the show was on the air. So far they have released 7 books in roughly chronological order, with book seven covering stories that took place during season 4/5 of the show. There's a lot of debate whether these stories can be considered part of canon.

Dark Horse has been releasing the season 8 TPBs by story arc, so each book has covered 5 monthly comics. So far 4 have been released. They are releasing the 5th book, which will have the "Predator and Prey" issues, #21-25, in October. I haven't heard of a hardcover that would include the entire season once it wraps up in a year or so, but it would make sense.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info, binky. :rock

So basically, it would be A LONG TIME before any complete collections are released because Volume 5 (issues #21 - 25) has yet to be released, and the fact that Season 8 is a 40 issue run?

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info, binky. :rock

So basically, it would be A LONG TIME before any complete collections are released because Volume 5 (issues #21 - 25) has yet to be released, and the fact that Season 8 is a 40 issue run?

Yup. At least a year, probably more. Right now, the monthly comic is on #29 to be released on 10/7, the fourth of the "Retreat" arc written by Jane Espensen. Figure at this pace (sometimes they skip a month), one more year just to close out season 8, then throw in another few months if a season-long collection is even in the works.

The Season 8 TPBs are not bad as far as value goes IMO. It's like $10-$11 per book, which is like half off the cover of the individual monthlies in a nicer format (paper's heavier and whiter, inks are brighter). OTOH, 8 of those will be close to $100 per season. Still, anything to help ease the shakes when I get a Buffy craving these days.

I'm Still enjoy reading the Comic Format but will buy Stories i really enjoy over again in a trade if i know i want to read more then once, especially if the trade comes in a nicely done up hard cover with some extras.....I would buy Season eight for sure if they included all the Amazing Covers by Jo Chen!!

My problem is that I'm so addicted to Buffy that I try to buy everything I can. I like having all the covers, including the TPB's even though I have all the single issues. It's a thing. And I know lots of you are with me.

But what about Angel? I stopped getting Angel because the read just wasn't good for me. Didn't keep my interest. And Joss handed over the writing reigns to someone else

P.S. Jo Chen, AMAZING covers!

My problem is that I'm so addicted to Buffy that I try to buy everything I can. I like having all the covers, including the TPB's even though I have all the single issues. It's a thing. And I know lots of you are with me.

But what about Angel? I stopped getting Angel because the read just wasn't good for me. Didn't keep my interest. And Joss handed over the writing reigns to someone else

P.S. Jo Chen, AMAZING covers!

That is EXACTLY why i didn't continue Angel either, it didn't have that "buffy\Whedon" feel the show did, where as the Buffy Comic was Awesome and STILL is.

I think i read about 8 issues of Angel and then gave it the Axe, it was hard but it had to be done. Didn't want to remember Angel like that, would rather think of the show :D

That is EXACTLY why i didn't continue Angel either, it didn't have that "buffy\Whedon" feel the show did, where as the Buffy Comic was Awesome and STILL is.

I think i read about 8 issues of Angel and then gave it the Axe, it was hard but it had to be done. Didn't want to remember Angel like that, would rather think of the show :D

So, Power, you bring up a good point.

The reason why I'm hesitant about beginning any of these comics (Angel or Buffy) is because I'm worried it might ruin the lasting impression the show left once it went off air.

You mentioned this somewhat in your above post, but do you feel that Season 8 of Buffy is "worthy" of the BTVS name?

Wow you got to issue 8? Man, you worked harder than I did. I got to half of issue 5, haha. I bought on thinking I'd get back to it, but I just...couldn't. I stopped buying them around issue 16.

So, Power, you bring up a good point.

The reason why I'm hesitant about beginning any of these comics (Angel or Buffy) is because I'm worried it might ruin the lasting impression the show left once it went off air.

You mentioned this somewhat in your above post, but do you feel that Season 8 of Buffy is "worthy" of the BTVS name?

I know you didn't direct that at me but IMO Season 8 is quite worthy. Frankly, I can't imagine reading these books if you're not familiar with the speech pattern and delivery of the typical Buffy dialogue. They feel like episodes.
The main difference is scale. There's no limit to what you can do without a TV budget to limit you so it's a lot more epic in that sense.

I know you didn't direct that at me but IMO Season 8 is quite worthy. Frankly, I can't imagine reading these books if you're not familiar with the speech pattern and delivery of the typical Buffy dialogue. They feel like episodes.
The main difference is scale. There's no limit to what you can do without a TV budget to limit you so it's a lot more epic in that sense.

Nice! That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for, so it looks like I'm going to have to stop by B&N in the next few weeks to pick the TBPs up! I checked and they had everything in stock!! :rock

Nice! That's the kind of feedback I was hoping for, so it looks like I'm going to have to stop by B&N in the next few weeks to pick the TBPs up! I checked and they had everything in stock!! :rock

Now I have to. No way I am being one upped by this guy as the world's Number 1 Buffy fan!!!

Now I have to. No way I am being one upped by this guy as the world's Number 1 Buffy fan!!!

I am pretty sure you're third Eli. Sorry...

Chapter, you will enjoy the season 8 comics. I know you will because I LOVE them. Just...there was one part I wasn't too on board with, but somehow we get past it and learn to deal. For some people they loved it, some hated it and some like me, just went along with it.

I'd say just get the tpb's. It will save you money and you get all the covers in each. So you wont miss out on any art. Also, you don't have to wait monthly to read it. You get to read 5 issues all at once, which is nice. Although, doing it that way also means you have to wait 5 months in between each tpb release. Well, guess that didn't help. Haha. If you have questions, we're here to answer.

p.s. I sent you a message.

The new issue of Wizard (#217) has a Buffy cover by J. Scott Campbell. Inside Joss, Brian K. Vaughan and Drew Goddard discuss Season 8. There's also a Dollhouse Q&A with Eliza Dushku.

WizBuff.jpg

I am pretty sure you're third Eli. Sorry...

Chapter, you will enjoy the season 8 comics. I know you will because I LOVE them. Just...there was one part I wasn't too on board with, but somehow we get past it and learn to deal. For some people they loved it, some hated it and some like me, just went along with it.

I'd say just get the tpb's. It will save you money and you get all the covers in each. So you wont miss out on any art. Also, you don't have to wait monthly to read it. You get to read 5 issues all at once, which is nice. Although, doing it that way also means you have to wait 5 months in between each tpb release. Well, guess that didn't help. Haha. If you have questions, we're here to answer.

p.s. I sent you a message.

Hey BuffyGirl....i'm curious but what exactly are you referring to here?? i have read up to issue 24 so you won't spoil anything for me.....did i forget something.....or maybe i just dismissed it already :lol

The only thing I can think of that has paople talking is

Spoiler Spoiler:

I had a feeling that was going to happen, though, and I'm all for it.

Hey BuffyGirl....i'm curious but what exactly are you referring to here?? i have read up to issue 24 so you won't spoil anything for me.....did i forget something.....or maybe i just dismissed it already :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

There is what I mean.

Spoiler Spoiler:

There is what I mean.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Too many spoiler tags....

...must resist clicking them....

...must go....

.....buy Season 8 TPB. :lol

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sorry Chapter. Not trying to drive you crazy or anything! ;
)

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sorry Chapter. Not trying to drive you crazy or anything! ;
)

I won't be able to pick any up this weekend, but NEXT weekends begins my "crash course" into Season 8!!! :rock

Back