Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...e2abfed f8b53

Steve Nickerson, a VP at Warner Home Video, has stepped down.

He was the Senior VP of high-definition media, and was apparently a backer of HD-DVD, which may be why Blu-Ray has yet to get some bigger Warner movies like The Matrix Trilogy and Batman Begins.

There could be an announcement regarding Warner's future soon....

...which may be why Blu-Ray has yet to get some bigger Warner movies like The Matrix Trilogy and Batman Begins.

I understood that the reason that those Warner titles didn't come to Blu-ray is that the specs allowing picture in picture commentary, etc. were yet to be finalized for Blu-ray players. Matrix, V for Vendetta, Batman, Poseidon, Troy, etc. all had the In Movie Experience that wouldn't work on Blu-ray and so they were HD DVD only. Other titles like Blood Diamond and 300 were released on Blu-ray without the additional bonus features that BR couldn't handle.

Now that they are finally getting around to finalizing the tech specs for all BR players, I think we will be seeing a more equal release strategy. (I just hope that all of the existing BR players can be updated to take advantage of the new/final specs.)

im really looking forward for x mas this year. GF is getting me a PS3 and our parents are chipping in to get us a tv for our house. so we'll have both HD formats and a new HDTV to watch them....and i'll have all three game systems.:monkey3

Because Darklord Dave irritated me about my cool Kit Fisto sig so I decided to be a smart ass and put a dick in as my new sig.:rotfl

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

way to rebel! :rock

nah man, i really don't take it personally, i more or less joke. like i said, i feel there should only be 1 format for the consumer to be able to get a quality hd movie and not have to worry about which format it will be on.

...and i just feel raped and angry about transformers :lol :monkey4

haha nah, not for me. i'll wait it out before making more investments. i already have way too much money tied up in my home theater setup.

i hear you man!!!! same here. for now, i figure, keep getting the format we have, and whoever wins, (if it's the one we don't have), get a new player then.

i hear you man!!!! same here. for now, i figure, keep getting the format we have, and whoever wins, (if it's the one we don't have), get a new player then.

That's how I feel. If HD DVD wins then I am covered. If Blu Ray wins then I'll go buy a Blu Ray player then. I'll still have a decent number of HD DVD's by then and I won't replace them with Blu Ray unless the HD DVD player breaks one day.

That's how I feel. If HD DVD wins then I am covered. If Blu Ray wins then I'll go buy a Blu Ray player then. I'll still have a decent number of HD DVD's by then and I won't replace them with Blu Ray unless the HD DVD player breaks one day.

my thoughts exactly. (Murphy's Law will dictate that the HD players have a destructive timer that goes off if Blu-Ray wins the war)

:rotfl

my thoughts exactly. (Murphy's Law will dictate that the HD players have a destructive timer that goes off if Blu-Ray wins the war)

:rotfl

:lol Exactly. Either way, it's not like what we have now will suddenly self destruct when the war comes to an end. It will work just fine and look just as awesome as it does now. Then, we just buy the other format :rock

My purchasing decisions have been based mostly on the add-on features, and whichever has the better release. 300? HD-DVD. Phantom of the Opera? HD-DVD. Ice Age2? BD. Kingdom of Heaven? BD. Batman Begins? HD-DVD. I have the PS3, and an HP laptop with HD-DVD drive (with HDMI hookup). So, I enjoy both equally.

The way I see it, I hate Sony for trying to say they won the format war by having all these prognosticators like TheDigitalBits and Blockbuster, and Target advertise that they see BD as the clear winner. Fact is, BD is so behind on their BD-J and pricing that I hope they turn up another Beta/SACD product. And their lackluster games release on the PS3 doesn't help. Thank goodness I didn't buy that POS PSP and the UMD format.

HD-DVD camp on the other hand has just been stealthily lowering their price and not claiming any hype. It's too early to declare a winner still. But, I like the fact that the player prices are coming down in prices, and that both BD and HD-DVD movies can be found for cheaper on the secondary market (read: used).

Can't wait for Heroes S1 HD-DVD to come out on Tuesday!

Apparently, the demand for both formats is evenly split over at Netflix:

The nation's leading online DVD rental service says demand among its customers for both high-def disc formats is equal, but (no surprise) it pales in comparison to standard-def DVD.

In an interview published today in the San Jose Mercury News, Netflix founder and CEO Reed Hastings says his company is seeing relatively low demand for either next-gen format, but -- in sharp contrast to disc sales figures (which show Blu-ray leading HD DVD by a factor of two) -- neither format is more popular than the other at Netflix.

"We carry all the Blu-ray titles and we carry all the HD DVD, so we're agnostic. And we think the solution in that market is to have the studios publish on both," said Hastings. "(Customer demand) is pretty evenly split between them (but it's) tiny, like a percent or something."

Netflix has allowed its members to add high-def discs on both formats to their rental queue since before their respective launches, starting with HD DVD in March 2006, and followed by Blu-ray in May of that year.

Back