Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
couldn't agree more!!! i took my Elite and add on over to my parents house to watch on their samsung 56" dlp and it looks flipping beautiful!!!! i was running around in my underwear screaming "This is Sparta!!!!"

I wouldn't brag about that. There were nerds at comic con dressed half naked running around doing the same thing. They make all the Star Wars geeks and Trekkies look docile.

40.jpg

300 in high def is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

question:
is there a difference to using 3 RCA cables for my component connection, to using actual component cables?

3 RCA cables are waaaaay cheaper.

300 in high def is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

question:
is there a difference to using 3 RCA cables for my component connection, to using actual component cables?

huh??

blue, green and red are component cables. those are what carry hd.

He's asking if he can use the Red, White, and Yellow cables instead of having to buy the ones that are colored since those cost more, and the cables look pretty similar.

I wouldn't know though, the only thing I have that uses component is my Xbox and the adapter on the Xbox is unique.

question:

There is a difference, but whether it is significant enough to warrant the additional expense is something you'll have to decide for yourself. True component cables are generally a heavier gauge, they are designed as solid core coaxial rather than braided/twisted pair, and they have much better shielding (well, most RCA cables have NONE, so technically ANY shielding is much better, but I think you get the point). The purpose of these differences is to ensure that more of the signal gets through, and that it gets through without being compromised by stray external signals.

As far as them costing a lot more, that depends on where you shop. Take a look at these cables over at monoprice.com:

12" RG-59 Component Cable

12" Premium RG-6 Component Cable

I have been using their cables for a long time, and I am a very satisfied customer.

I understood that the reason that those Warner titles didn't come to Blu-ray is that the specs allowing picture in picture commentary, etc. were yet to be finalized for Blu-ray players. Matrix, V for Vendetta, Batman, Poseidon, Troy, etc. all had the In Movie Experience that wouldn't work on Blu-ray and so they were HD DVD only. Other titles like Blood Diamond and 300 were released on Blu-ray without the additional bonus features that BR couldn't handle.

Now that they are finally getting around to finalizing the tech specs for all BR players, I think we will be seeing a more equal release strategy. (I just hope that all of the existing BR players can be updated to take advantage of the new/final specs.)
You can hope if you like. But not if you have a Sony, I don't think. When they can sell you the next model with upgrades instead. When have they ever thought of the consumer? $$$$$$:emperor

You can hope if you like. But not if you have a Sony, I don't think. When they can sell you the next model with upgrades instead. When have they ever thought of the consumer? $$$$$$:emperor
Ummm... a couple of weeks ago, when they published the seventh (or is it the eighth?) firmware update for the PS3 (and a significant number of the updates for that unit have been designed to add Blu-ray features and improve Blu-ray performance).

I realize that Sony bashing is very much in vogue these days (I've been known to engage in it myself from time to time), but at least try to base
your bashing on factual issues, rather than silly hyperbole.

There is a difference, but whether it is significant enough to warrant the additional expense is something you'll have to decide for yourself. True component cables are generally a heavier gauge, they are designed as solid core coaxial rather than braided/twisted pair, and they have much better shielding (well, most RCA cables have NONE, so technically ANY shielding is much better, but I think you get the point). The purpose of these differences is to ensure that more of the signal gets through, and that it gets through without being compromised by stray external signals.

As far as them costing a lot more, that depends on where you shop. Take a look at these cables over at monoprice.com:

12" RG-59 Component Cable

12" Premium RG-6 Component Cable

I have been using their cables for a long time, and I am a very satisfied customer.

Thanks Robo! That information helps, and those prices are fantastic. I would just see the monster cables and feel like I was getting raped by their prices! Placing an order as we speak...

:D

I use Monster cables for my guitars, both acoustic and electric and they do make a difference in that aspect. The also have a lifetime warranty, which comes in handy if you play a lot of shows. I don't know if they really make a difference in regards to your television equipment. I recently purchased an HD DVD player and went with a cheap HDMI cable after reading all the reviews saying that the price of the cable isn't really an indication of it's functionality and quality. $13 compared to near $70!:google $13 please. :)

Yes, but the Paramount/Dreamworks thing is a big blow to Blu-Ray, and the price difference is still an obstacle to overcome.

Not really, in fact Paramount was one of the least selling studios on Blu-ray.

Price difference, I agree, but I don't think anything has to be overcome.

Price might be the only reason that HD-DVD is still around, most people don't think to wonder what movies are there and just want something that plays High Definition and so they'll buy the lower priced option. If HD-DVD players were the same price as Blu-Ray then I'd definitely buy Blu-Ray.

https://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom090207/index.php

It's a virtual magazine, lets look on page 3 at the pie charts, shall we.

I thought it was interesting that in the study from that article, 48% of the people were indifferent to either high def format, 31% cited price as a barrier to entry, and 21% mentioned competing formats. So according to those numbers, price is a bigger factor than I realized.

Whichever one gets cheaper faster will have a chance of winning over that 31%. (But the people that matter the most when it comes to long term success and adoption of either format are the 48% that simply couldn't care less.)

People understand that if you want Halo 3 you are going to need a 360, but if you want a Final Fantasy game you will need a PlayStation (or a Nintendo for Zelda and Metroid). Nobody expects an end to the video game console format war any time soon and customers have learned to deal with console exclusive titles in a major money making industry. In the same way, I think that people can be made to understand that if they want to watch Transformers or The Bourne Ultimatum or Shrek 3 then they will need an HD DVD player, and if they want to watch Spider-Man 3 or Pirates 3 or Ratatouille then they will need a Blu-Ray player. I would like it if one console would play every video game on the market, but I have accepted the fact that it will never happen. I can accept the same thing in the home video world.

Last edited:
https://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/questex/hom090207/index.php

It's a virtual magazine, lets look on page 3 at the pie charts, shall we.

Read an article in one of the media magazines a week ago that said that the VP of media (or something similar) at Warner Bros has resigned from the company, he was one of the people in charge of what movies were ported to HD-DVD and Blue Ray. One of the comments was in regards to him being the largest proponent of HD-DVD at Warners and now that he has left, there will be a Blue-Ray push.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/home_entertainment/video/e3ic5e5748d210215482fe5e2abfedf8b53

Evan

Back