Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Spielberg only wants to release on Blu-ray, then his movies just aren't going to be coming to us in high def any time soon. Think of how many of his films are from Universal, Paramount or Dreamworks--all of which are HD DVD exclusive supporters. It sounds like he has reserved the right to not have his films be HD DVD exclusives, but since none of those studios release Blu-ray discs, we have a bit of a problem.

Rather than expecting Universal to ever put out a Blu-ray release, I think we should just expect a very long wait before we see any more of his films (after Close Encounters) released in high def.

HD DVD Exclusive Studios

Universal
Paramount
Dreamworks
Weinstein Co.

Blu-Ray Exclusive Studios

Sony
Disney
Fox/MGM
Lionsgate

Neutral Studios
Warner
New Line
The Weinstein one is odd, Blcokbuster has an exclusive contract with them but don't carry HD-DVD.

If Spielberg only wants to release on Blu-ray, then his movies just aren't going to be coming to us in high def any time soon. Think of how many of his films are from Universal, Paramount or Dreamworks--all of which are HD DVD exclusive supporters. It sounds like he has reserved the right to not have his films be HD DVD exclusives, but since none of those studios release Blu-ray discs, we have a bit of a problem.

Rather than expecting Universal to ever put out a Blu-ray release, I think we should just expect a very long wait before we see any more of his films (after Close Encounters) released in high def.

From reading some more quotes on Spielbergs stance, I think they have no choice but to release his movies on Blue-Ray, I read somewhere it is in his contract that he has control over the release rights of his movies. I could be mistaken though. He has quite a bit of control over his movies.

Evan

When Warner announces they will go HD you can pretty much consider that the decisive factor in the format war with 3 of the 4 biggest studios backing HD. Fox will have to relent to the pressure of the other major studios.

should have added this in the previous post as well, but its been reported that the HD camp gave Paramount/Dreamworks about $150 million dollars over the life of the contract, but suprisingly enough one of the Paramount executives said its not a lengthly contract and anything can happen down the road.

I''ll get a PS3 one of these days to replace my playstation and gladly use it as a Blue-Ray player but to have to buy two different types of disc players and multiple movie formats, it just seems another way to milk more of my wallet.... you bet I am bitter, I've got upwards of 4k dvd's on my shelves, don't even want to think what its going to cost to replace all those.

Evan

When Warner announces they will go HD you can pretty much consider that the decisive factor in the format war with 3 of the 4 biggest studios backing HD. Fox will have to relent to the pressure of the other major studios.

Not sure why Warner would go one way or the other now, though their Blue-Rays are far outselling their HD offerings, they have stayed very neutral.

Evan

In this game of chess, one move from Warner could mean checkmate.

Warners jumping either way would be huge news for sure. Since Universal is owned by GE/NBC and has a huge Microsoft releationship I can understand why Universal is in the HD camp, why did Fox jump to the Blue-Ray camp?

Evan

I've got upwards of 4k dvd's on my shelves, don't even want to think what its going to cost to replace all those.

Evan

Same here, at over 500 dvds I have spent more than I would like to add up. But no matter who wins or what the future holds I will NEVER EVER attempt to replace all my movies with high def. I will be picking up only my most favorite films on high def.

To go back and try to replace that many dvds would be pure insanity.

Warners jumping either way would be huge news for sure. Since Universal is owned by GE/NBC and has a huge Microsoft releationship I can understand why Universal is in the HD camp, why did Fox jump to the Blue-Ray camp?

Evan

Same reason why Blockbuster did. Blu-Ray has a stronger anti-piracy safeguard and FOX has been relentless in its efforts to crack down on piracy. But as expected those safeguards appear to be compromised on both formats already so most of the studios are moving to the most economic format to produce and sell to the consumer.

Anti-Piracy? I know HD-DVD was cracked pretty easily, but Blu-Ray is too, every blu-ray movie has been cracked. But isn't Warner doing both? I know they're releasing Harry Potter later this year in both formats.

Anti-Piracy? I know HD-DVD was cracked pretty easily, but Blu-Ray is too, every blu-ray movie has been cracked. But isn't Warner doing both? I know they're releasing Harry Potter later this year in both formats.

That was one of the primary reasons for supporting Blu-ray because the argument was for a stronger security architecture but they just don't get it that security measures can always be hacked. They might as well give it up. They are still making hand-over-fist in spite of piracy. They just want to be the ONLY ones making a profit, not some bloke on the street corner selling $5 copies.

yup, i'm pretty sure that's what they said about DVD when it first came out and look how easy it is to burn those now... it's only a matter of time.

Same reason why Blockbuster did. Blu-Ray has a stronger anti-piracy safeguard and FOX has been relentless in its efforts to crack down on piracy. But as expected those safeguards appear to be compromised on both formats already so most of the studios are moving to the most economic format to produce and sell to the consumer.
Blockbusters move to Blu-Ray had nothing to do with anti-piracy. They did tests in certain markets to determine which was a better renter. Blu-Ray rented better then HD-DVD. Trust me if Blockbuster was worried about anti-piracy there would be changes to the instore movie pass where people will get 3 movies and be back with them for more 2 hours later , some have been even to known to say they are burning the DVDs.

Back