Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of a few TVs that have the same problem at 480p, but not many. That's a real shame. That means your only option may be to use a cheap 480i DVD player for your 4:3 material.

It's a shame these CE manufacturers can't get on the same page, or at least use a little logic when designing their equipment.

They sold the studio to Viacom

Not to add more fuel to this burning so bright fire but read a quote today from Spielberg's representative stating "Fellow director Steven Spielberg remained unconvinced, balking at the Paramount/DreamWorks deal (as he did with Universal's exclusive deal with the HD DVD camp). A spokesman indicated that his films will continue to be released exclusively in the Blu-ray format, regardless of the studio for which they are made. DreamWorks marketing chief Marvin Levy said Tuesday that Spielberg continues to be a "big supporter of Blu-ray."

Pretty interesting if that is true, would Universal be forced to release Jaw's on Blue-Ray only, or would they be able to release it on both formats.

Evan

It would be very interesting to see how things would shake out if all studios released equally (day and date, and with the same features) on both formats. I don't know whether it would a good thing or not, but it would be worth it to try, at least.

What is most important is to get this settled, and let one format move forward. That's the ONLY way that there will be a chance of broad consumer acceptance.

We'll if Jaws is only on Blue-Ray they are the clear winner in my book :chew

Evan

that would all depend on the transfer.

it IS one of the greatest movies ever made though (IMO), but just because it were out in a format wouldn't necessarily sway me. it would have to be done well, very very well.

The Disney support alone is really making me want to buy a BD player. And God help me if they start putting out flicks like Jurassic Park, Raiders, Saving Private Ryan and Jaws out on Blu-Ray exclusively. I won't be able to bear it!

I'm also royally fumed about the upcoming Collectors Edition release of Bram Stokers Dracula only on BD. MAN I wish that wasn't a Sony picture.

The Disney support alone is really making me want to buy a BD player. And God help me if they start putting out flicks like Jurassic Park, Raiders, Saving Private Ryan and Jaws out on Blu-Ray exclusively. I won't be able to bear it!

I'm also royally fumed about the upcoming Collectors Edition release of Bram Stokers Dracula only on BD. MAN I wish that wasn't a Sony picture.

Yeah so you trade me Transformers and I'll GLADLY trade you Bram Stokers Dracula.

Back