Premium Format Black Widow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Black Widow Movie PF

In your opinion maybe. But not in mine. I look at the overall effort it takes to produce a "plastic doll".

An artist had to sculpt and paint the "plastic doll". Not to mention all the other steps of the production process.

:exactly:

Darth.. exactly.....
Yes, being one of those "creative types" who does this.. It is indeed an art form. Sculpt, mold, paint and make clothing for either a 1/6 or 1/4 or 1/2 or 1:1 figure then come back come back and tell me it's not an art form... The scale or medium of a product may not be your cup of tea but let's not belittle what hard working artists try to accomplish.

Darth.. exactly.....
Yes, being one of those "creative types" who does this.. It is indeed an art form. Sculpt, mold, paint and make clothing for either a 1/6 or 1/4 or 1/2 or 1:1 figure then come back come back and tell me it's not an art form... The scale or medium of a product may not be your cup of tea but let's not belittle what hard working artists try to accomplish.

Correctamundo!

I appreciate a good piece of art and what it took to bring it all together. :lecture

In your opinion maybe. But not in mine. I look at the overall effort it takes to produce a "plastic doll".

An artist had to sculpt and paint the "plastic doll". Not to mention all the other steps of the production process.

:exactly:

Actually the artist sculpts the prototype using resin or some high grade material to sculpt it. Then hot toys produces cheap plastic toys painted by machines for mass production purposes.

I guess it is still art, but for me for it to be 100% art it has to be the original from actual handmade artist itself like Rainman's or Serangs are.

Darth.. exactly.....

The medium is important otherwise people outside the toy industry would use plastic or PVC to sculpt statues. They do not do this because plastic or PVC is cheap junk and can not bring realism to the sculpt like resin, polystone or silicon can. What I am trying to say here, is that if both the hot toys doll and statue were identical in paint application and sculpt wise, the statue would look more real due to the material it was made from.

Last edited:

Actually the artist sculpts the prototype using resin or some high grade material to sculpt it. Then hot toys produces cheap plastic toys painted by machines for mass production purposes.

I know. That's what I'm talking about. At one point it took an artist to make the very first sculpt and an artist to paint that portrait to have that prototype for use in mass production.

I know. That's what I'm talking about. At one point it took an artist to make the very first sculpt and an artist to paint that portrait to have that prototype for use in mass production.

That is true, I think really miss spoke, what I meant was the statue is a higher grade of art than hot toys artwork.

That is true, I think really miss spoke, what I meant was the statue is a higher grade of art than hot toys artwork.

I can agree to a point since I have held statues in higher status than figures...but with some of the figures coming out from Hot Toys and Enterbay, that gap is closing fast for me.

I can agree to a point since I have held statues in higher status than figures...but with some of the figures coming out from Hot Toys and Enterbay, that gap is closing fast for me.

Yeah the hot toys Keaton Batman looks so real, I can not believe it is a toy. Hot toys has never produced a product such as that before.

Nevertheless, if it was sculpted on resin, polystone or silicone with the same paint application, it would look even better, because those materials bring more realism to the sculpt. Silicone is the best for skin realism.

Yeah the hot toys Keaton Batman looks so real, I can not believe it is a toy. Hot toys has never produced a product such as that before.

Nevertheless, if it was sculpted on resin, polystone or silicone with the same paint application, it would look even better, because those materials bring more realism to the sculpt. Silicone is the best for skin realism.

:lecture Absolutely.

I agree that if the Keaton Batman had been a 1/4 polystone statue it would have been incredible.

tumblr_lzj0xfD5Vv1ql0l7mo3_250.gif

People forget that this is Dave's sandbox with his rules and we just play in it.

Is it a lifelike sculpt? You bet, it does seem quite real, much, much more than the PF. In fact it's a brilliant generic figure, but there's more to it than that.

I am sorry disagree with this comment IMO it looks like a doll with no realism at all. It has an expressionless face just like a doll would have. The PF one actually looks life like with that slight smirk and the way her eyes are looking sideways.

Don't be sorry to disagree. :) But allow me to elaborate on what I meant, because maybe you're not disagreeing after all.

Having expression and being lifelike are not the same thing. The PF has a very successful smirk - of course it looks way more expressive. The HT, on the other hand, has an expression, too, only a neutral one, so it's only logical she won't stand out that much. Admittedly, the lifeless eyes of the BW HT (and many other HT's in fact), which is what I like the least of it and the reason I see no ScarJo there, DO increase that undesired 'doll look'.

BUT, there's no denying the texture on the HT is miles ahead of the PF. I don't think anyone can say otherwise. You couldn't pass that pic of the PF for a real person, whereas the one of the HT can actually fool you for a sec if you're not paying attention.

THAT'S what I'm saying. I'd take the PF over the HT any day, but render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s.

2w5sin5.jpg

Don't be sorry to disagree. :) But allow me to elaborate on what I meant, because maybe you're not disagreeing after all.

Having expression and being lifelike are not the same thing. The PF has a very successful smirk - of course it looks way more expressive. The HT, on the other hand, has an expression, too, only a neutral one, so it's only logical she won't stand out that much. Admittedly, the lifeless eyes of the BW HT (and many other HT's in fact), which is what I like the least of it and the reason I see no ScarJo there, DO increase that undesired 'doll look'.

BUT, there's no denying the texture on the HT is miles ahead of the PF. I don't think anyone can say otherwise. You couldn't pass that pic of the PF for a real person, whereas the one of the HT can actually fool you for a sec if you're not paying attention.

THAT'S what I'm saying. I'd take the PF over the HT any day, but render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s.

2w5sin5.jpg

At first I did not see the skin Texturing you were talking about so I went and looked at further images. These pic below shows it better.

2407161-1.jpg

2407178-251.jpg

Apparently I am told that this is the resin prototype. All of images of Hot Toys prototypes are made out of resin, hence why they look so real compared to the final product. I knew the prototypes themselves were made out of resin but did not know that the prototype images were made out of resin. I thought they were production prototype images of one toy just hand painted by JC Hong.

I do agree the Hot Toys figure can fool you into thinking it is a real person, and the PF just looks like stone or a sculpture.

Well it looks like Black Widow is still on track for August...I figured that Sideshow would have delayed her a few months like the other Avengers PF :yess:

Too many delays resulting in items which should be shipping weeks apart all shipping at once. What is the point of flexi-pay when you have three or four PFs shipping all at once.

Back