Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In all the pcs I've seen to date the paint looks very, very ordinary. It's like they used a translucent vinyl for the sculpts. Tailoring doesn't look flash either. It's great to see any pics of this figure, but they don't convince that this is the quality I'd hoped to see.

Ok. I now have the figures, both Watson and Holmes and I can safely say none of the photos does them any justice whatsoever. As the owner of very many Hot Toys, I can assure anyone who has bought these figures that they are on a par with the best. The skin tones are subtle but lifelike and not plasticky like many of the pictures I have seen. I will not post photos because I believe they will just end up like the rest and not present a true representation of the figures due to lighting etc etc. so if you do have them on the way, don't worry, they're excellent! As for the naysayers, you missed out dudes!

That's good to hear, congrats :rock

It's always good to see pics though - sometimes it's the collective weight of images that shows off the figure in a way that isolated pics don't.

Ok. I now have the figures, both Watson and Holmes and I can safely say none of the photos does them any justice whatsoever. As the owner of very many Hot Toys, I can assure anyone who has bought these figures that they are on a par with the best. The skin tones are subtle but lifelike and not plasticky like many of the pictures I have seen. I will not post photos because I believe they will just end up like the rest and not present a true representation of the figures due to lighting etc etc. so if you do have them on the way, don't worry, they're excellent! As for the naysayers, you missed out dudes!
Paintup is quiet ok-eyes could be better, in pics head looks worse as in hand, but body is total crap.I'll trie to swap it to narrow shoulder body, hope clothes will fit.

I think they are decent and still inclined to get them, but I honestly don't think they are of HT level of quality, at least not from what I saw in SDCC, maybe viewing from behind a glass wall does change things for the worse...

Can you take pictures of the clothing on the body? Lighting should not be a concern in that case. I just want to see how fit they are. The one I saw was bulky, rough and not draping naturally on the body.

That's good to hear...was getting a bit worried! Mine should be here tomorrow so I will see then. :)

Good to see everyone's shipping notices starting to filter through as well!! :yess:

91AF0488-1DC5-407D-B1B0-826FF529ABAF_zpsoqtlbjiq.jpg

A couple of quick shots, fresh out of their boxes, quickly posed (with the aid of Kaiser stands) and with a minimum of futzing...

The Game is A Foot by MiskatonicNick, on Flickr

Mrs Hudson's Boys by MiskatonicNick, on Flickr

Very happy with how they've turned out, though sadly both came with nose rubs (Sherlock's especially noticeable) but I'm working on that with BCS at the moment. Some initial thoughts;

Sherlock. Great sculpt, all the detail is there and a paint wash would bring them up nicely... but, checking a lot of Sherlock photos, you might loose the likeness? Cumberbatch, in his Sherlock make-up, is pretty smooth-faced. Yep, a bit loose in the joints but I'm planning on moving him over onto a TT clone, the extra shoulder of which might improve the look of coat. The coat... undecided. Almost there and certainly not as bad, or as hairy, as some early shots (lol, and probably mine) suggest. Like the magnetic clasp on his jacket.

Watson. Nice sculpt, well painted. Firmer body. Overall he's one or two stitches from perfection but that jumper collar ain't right; far too rounded when it should be a v-neck. I think my limited sewing skills will be able to fix that though.

Both again have BCS's great hands; so easy to swap without worrying about breakages. Sherlock really needed a pointy finger sculpt or two (he's using John's hand in the one shot here).

Overall (and still just in the first few hours) they're B+ going on A- figures. Off to play with them somemore :)

A couple of quick shots, fresh out of their boxes, quickly posed (with the aid of Kaiser stands) and with a minimum of futzing...

Very happy with how they've turned out, though sadly both came with nose rubs (Sherlock's especially noticeable) but I'm working on that with BCS at the moment. Some initial thoughts;

Sherlock. Great sculpt, all the detail is there and a paint wash would bring them up nicely... but, checking a lot of Sherlock photos, you might loose the likeness? Cumberbatch, in his Sherlock make-up, is pretty smooth-faced. Yep, a bit loose in the joints but I'm planning on moving him over onto a TT clone, the extra shoulder of which might improve the look of coat. The coat... undecided. Almost there and certainly not as bad, or as hairy, as some early shots (lol, and probably mine) suggest. Like the magnetic clasp on his jacket.

Watson. Nice sculpt, well painted. Firmer body. Overall he's one or two stitches from perfection but that jumper collar ain't right; far too rounded when it should be a v-neck. I think my limited sewing skills will be able to fix that though.

Both again have BCS's great hands; so easy to swap without worrying about breakages. Sherlock really needed a pointy finger sculpt or two (he's using John's hand in the one shot here).

Overall (and still just in the first few hours) they're B+ going on A- figures. Off to play with them somemore :)
Great shots!I'm wondering-how you make his coat looks slim enough on him?My still loojs lije in polar expedition.Which body you are going to trie?

Those pictures are the best looking ones I've seen so far! Congrats man!:clap

indeed!!!! seems that with some futzing the jacket looks great! the scarf needs some love too... overall I'm still very happy! after all... we get official Sherlock figs!!! amazing!!!

Great shots!I'm wondering-how you make his coat looks slim enough on him?My still loojs lije in polar expedition.Which body you are going to trie?

Cheers :)
lol, can't remember what I did to his coat! Probably just pulled it onto his shoulders a little more? I also pulled his head up a little more to give him more neck - probably pulled too hard as the head came away from the internal neck-cup but that's perfect as it gives me ample opportunity to play with the height of his head on the neck.
Bodywise, I'm probably going to try one of those narrow shoulder True Type clones; used one for the BCS Tom Baker Doctor Who and that really made the figure pop!

Great shots! So nice to see some of the two of them together. John's jumper is SUPER weird looking though. It's almost as if whoever was sewing didn't know it was supposed to come to a point! Still, overall very pleased with what I see!

Thanks everyone :)

Kaiser is a brand of Barbie/Joe/doll stands - your basic waist grabber but with a small, flat thin metal footprint. Very handy for when you're shooting diorama scenes you can cover the base with a matching material to the floor you're using which makes for much easier removal of the stand in photoshop, PSP etc. (though I forgot to remove the shadow of Watson's stand!)

Back