Big Chief Studios BBC Sherlock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's up with the red bits on the coat? The top one must be the red button hole, but what about the others? They aren't supposed to be there.

sherlock-and-watson.jpg
I'm not sure, but in this pic it looks like all the button holes have that red trim:

Anyway, I hope this does well for them. They need a break.
I hope so too; I probably won't be getting those two, but BCS come across as pretty sympathetic and customer-friendly.

I'm not sure, but in this pic it looks like all the button holes have that red trim:

Now, that is interesting. I don't remember seeing it with more than one button hole. In fact, when I was investigating this to get one custom made for me, I remember reading that the Beeb put in THE red button hole as a custom addition. The same button hole (the second) that is showing black on the picture I posted is coloured red in your picture. And they all seem to be a different colour of red. Brighter. A different coat but, OK, screen accurate, then. I wonder if that was second series? I will have to watch the DVDs again. Any excuse.

I'd like to see the back of the coat to see how well they have done the skirting. If the fabric is too thick, that will really show up there.

I hope so too; I probably won't be getting those two, but BCS come across as pretty sympathetic and customer-friendly.

Yes, they certainly have been but, as has been noted above, they seem to letting their (understandable) frustrations show in some of their responses to the (understandable) frustrations of their customers on FB. Time to take a deep breath before posting, boys.

Last edited:
Harsh but true. My excitement about seeing these has been replaced by a much cooler evaluation. Watson is way too caricature-like, Holmes has got a shallow paint job that leaves him looking waxy and doll-like. Shame, when the clothes look pretty good and we know the sculpt is stellar. BC need to fire whoever did the paint jobs on these (greggo?) they're just not cutting it. Maybe they (the painter) have got a bad attitude and think this is acceptable at this pricepoint.

Yes I'm the painter!!! Do I have a bad attitude about my paint work? No. But this will sound like a bad attitude indeed. Do I think my paint jobs could be better and improve of course I do. But one thing you have to understand which you never do, might I add. You my friend are a collector you have no idea about how much things cost or how things are made. In fact why don't you tell me how you think we make these. How long these things take, factory cost. Because you always seem to know all the answers. Another thing may I add is have you seen these in hand? No. Have you seen all the finished prototype images no. So therefore how on earth do you know so much? But one thing I'll say to you is if you don't like it that's fair enough but why are you the type of person to type a personal review or attack when ever you see fit? If I don't like something I move on. Why is the a constant need for your opinion to be heard?

They did say they were still working on the coat for Sherlock.

And I really don't see what people are talking about regarding these figures - they look pretty damn cool to me. I would remind all posters that constructive criticism can be useful, that bashing is not wanted.

Part of what I've always wanted for the forum is to encourage the participation of manufacturers and artists here - but the rude are making that very difficult.

They did say they were still working on the coat for Sherlock.

And I really don't see what people are talking about regarding these figures - they look pretty damn cool to me. I would remind all posters that constructive criticism can be useful, that bashing is not wanted.

Part of what I've always wanted for the forum is to encourage the participation of manufacturers and artists here - but the rude are making that very difficult.

I'm sorry Dave and thank you for your kind words and I'm sorry for speaking my mind but time and time again it comes down to the same people and I've stood back long enough and when I see something like that after nearly working my butt off the last few months on these figures working 12-13 hours a day including the weekends it really annoys me. We know a lot of companies in this market and they all know this site really well and they really do like it but sadly certain people put these companies off. I'm sure you know you have lost a lot of talented people off this site and it's such a shame. :(

It's true of the entire internet - people are more likely to say something negative than something positive. It's unfortunate.

I do know that I'm very happy with 11, looking forward to 10. BCS seems to going through similar birth pangs that SSC and HT went through, but now the spotlight is brighter and the best of the hobby makes for unrealistic expectations.

We should chart the reactions to new figures - it's the same no matter what company makes it:

1) Initial announcement - yay!
2) Prototype shown - "his nose isn't big enough - see my photoshop of Ernest Borgnine shows what it should really look like."
3) Production figure shown - Oh my god, the coat is .0003 microns too thick - what were they thinking?"
4) Price announced - "Are they crazy, no one will pay that...(except me and every one else, because it's sold out in 4 days).
5)It's shipping - "I hope I can get on the wait list!"
6 ) it's here! "wow, this is much better than I expected!"
7) I can't get one and therefore this figure is poo - I don't know what all the excitement is about.
8) ebay - "sold listings - $900"

It's true of the entire internet - people are more likely to say something negative than something positive. It's unfortunate.

I do know that I'm very happy with 11, looking forward to 10. BCS seems to going through similar birth pangs that SSC and HT went through, but now the spotlight is brighter and the best of the hobby makes for unrealistic expectations.

We should chart the reactions to new figures - it's the same no matter what company makes it:

2) Prototype shown - "his nose isn't big enough - see my photoshop of Ernest Borgnine shows what it should really look like."
3) Production figure shown - Oh my god, the coat is .0003 microns too thick - what were they thinking?"
4) Price announced - "Are they crazy, no one will pay that...(except me and every one else, because it's sold out in 4 days).
7) I can't get one and therefore this figure is poo - I don't know what all the excitement is about.

Right on the nailhead! haha :rotfl

Sometimes... I just don't understand other people. I think these look amazing. Huh.

So 5-8 months until these are released:

Big Chief Studios Limited: Up to 8 months but hopefully nearer to 5 months. We can't give definite dates due to the way China works, they also have almost a month off in February for Chinese new year. Thanks, BCS
Like · 1 · 17 hours ago

Big Chief Studios Limited: It also takes approximately 6 weeks for the products to travel from China to the UK before we can send out to customers!

Haha!
Yeah, this sums it up, but won't stop it....
Gotta expect some criticism on these two tho. That Watson does look a bit silly!

BCS produced a spot on 11, and I'm totally excited for 4 and 10. Even the Amy will be pretty cool when that promised head arrives.

Yes I'm the painter!!! Do I have a bad attitude about my paint work? No. But this will sound like a bad attitude indeed. Do I think my paint jobs could be better and improve of course I do. But one thing you have to understand which you never do, might I add. You my friend are a collector you have no idea about how much things cost or how things are made. In fact why don't you tell me how you think we make these. How long these things take, factory cost. Because you always seem to know all the answers. Another thing may I add is have you seen these in hand? No. Have you seen all the finished prototype images no. So therefore how on earth do you know so much? But one thing I'll say to you is if you don't like it that's fair enough but why are you the type of person to type a personal review or attack when ever you see fit? If I don't like something I move on. Why is the a constant need for your opinion to be heard?

You needn't worry, Greggo.

For me this is amazing work and you did an awesome job on these. They're top notch and I can't wait to have them in hand. I'll try to snag a 1-200 signature edition when they go up for preorder.

People are complaining about the price and lower quality than HT, but they don't realize that HT has been in the market for years and probably get discount for the great production number of figures they make. And when they started in the big business, those Aliens, though they had great accessories, really lacked in the likeness compartment when compared with the giant of the time, Sideshow.

I don't understand people who keep whining and whining and will buy an approximate custom figure for $600!

You don't like it? Move on, and let the likers like!:gah:

Well as somebody who has seen previous Big Chief figures in hand I can testify that they are of excellent quality. You should not have to defend yourself mate. People who have seen your work for many years know how good you are at what you do.
Seriously if there was not a Big Chief studios I very much doubt we would even be getting these figures, and if we were they would be unlicensed and twice the price they are now. I recently reviewed the Wall Street Killer and while it's a great figure it's no higher in quality than Big Chief's Doctor Who.

Haha!
Yeah, this sums it up, but won't stop it....
Gotta expect some criticism on these two tho. That Watson does look a bit silly!

BCS produced a spot on 11, and I'm totally excited for 4 and 10. Even the Amy will be pretty cool when that promised head arrives.

All I will say is that both Benedict and Martin approved the painted heads themselves because they saw them in hand and might I add loved them. Martin infact adored his figure. So unless he is silly and approved something that didn't look like him?

And this is exactly what happens when insults and things get thrown around. And it has generated a response that perhaps indicates exactly why companies don't like to post on forums. Genuinely well intended, constructive criticism is good, but the remarks made about Greggo were just way off! The content of Greggo's posts, the description of his working days, the hours being put in to make things works should now throw into perspective all the negativity that has built up.

Plus, there have been hints around (on SSC and other boards) of the thought that Chinese facilities are not always willing to be as cooperative when dealing with with non-Chinese products.

On a personal note....Dear lord, if I could paint half as well as Greggo, do you think I'd be working in Pharmacy? I sure as hell wouldn't be, I can tell you that for nothing! I'd have my magnifiers, my palate, my paints, my brushes and air brushes, my reference material, a hot cheese and tomato Toastie on a plate all ready to eat, a large, hot and sweet cup of good coffee and the back catalogues of Talk Talk, Tears For Fears and Dire Straights playing out of my 'phone as my own personalised sound track.

There are many immortal tropes that are ALWAYS going to be true of 1:6 scale figure collecting - regardless of which company we are referring to:

1) Nine times out of ten, a figure will not be out when it is initially hoped to be.
2) On top of this, there will always be unexpected extra hitches that will be thrown in to add yet more waiting time.
3) There will always be a huge reaction to the Proto photos, some for and some against
4) There will be some folks who order immediately, some who look, say 'Not for me' and don't order at all, some who order but change their mind and cancel, some who say 'no' but are interested and still follow a thread...and then there will be some who post on forums only to sound like they are going to order, but do so just to be very negative and generally be the very definition of "Haters Are Going To Hate"
5) They are always going to be expensive, because in this case I'd bet that a Dr Who licence from the BBC is rather an expensive thing to get, and more generally because 1:6 is a most luxurious luxury of luxuries that every single person on the planet could easily live without.

These guys are working hard...cut them some slack.

Last edited:
This is all true, and it helps to be reminded of it, but I still hold that good customer service is absolutely key. Yes, a personal attack on an individual is below the belt and I can understand your feelings about this Greggo, but you depend on your customers' good will for this to work.

I am freelance and I wouldn't dream of counter attacking my customers. They would never use me again. If they mess me about (as they have done this week, grrr), they will know about it. However, I will first vent to long-suffering friends and family and, once I have got it off my chest, I will very carefully phrase a response to my customer lettng them know what went wrong and attempting for us both to find a way to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have to work from the baisis that the customer has to be treated as thought they are always right. Of course, they aren't, but I need for them to feel that way. I can't afford to lose them, particularly not in the current economic climate. Yes, it involves a lot of biting my lip, swallowing my pride and spending a long time carefully phrasing my communications and checking and double checking them before I raise any issues, but I have to make a living. If they have a criticism of my work, I have to listen to it. If they are unreasonable in their criticism, I still have to listen to it, seriously examine whether there is any basis to it, underneath what might be less then diplomatic phrasing, and then try and sort it so that we are both happy. Yes, we are all rather prostituting ourselves, but we want to continue doing what we are doing.

And don't forget that many people have a high emotional investment in these, as well as potentially spending a large chunk of our hard-earned cash on them. We have a stake here too.

While I agree with you on this Mau at the same time this guy is no customer to me. Somebody who attacks people behind a keyboard is just a coward. So therefore I haven't attacked anybody. I have had a few redos on some of my commissions nothing to do with it not being accurate but due to the fact someone has something in mind what they want to see, weather its right or wrong I do it. Infact coming back to Martin the sculpt has been changed with a few tweaks due to the fact that Martin wanted it a certain way, in what he is happy with. Also all the paint was approved by himself and his agent. I know people spend there own earned money on these things which is great. But most of the people think they know how much these things cost, how long things take? Nobody has any idea how long or how many hours have been spend on these pieces plus the huge amount of cost involved.

All this plus the factory cost and the license fee etc etc has to be added up to make it work. So as for somebodies comment about Brother Production. They really have no clue. Im telling you now for a fact if Sideshow and Hot Toys came on this forum and were as open as us. You would all be in for a nasty shock.

We have been very good with customer service and we of course want to get better. But one thing I wont stand for is bullies with nothing better to do. These people are big enough to dish it out but when they get it back it comes we are the bad guys? I think its a little unfair.

This is all true, and it helps to be reminded of it, but I still hold that good customer service is absolutely key. Yes, a personal attack on an individual is below the belt and I can understand your feelings about this Greggo, but you depend on your customers' good will for this to work.

I am freelance and I wouldn't dream of counter attacking my customers. They would never use me again. If they mess me about (as they have done this week, grrr), they will know about it. However, I will first vent to long-suffering friends and family and, once I have got it off my chest, I will very carefully phrase a response to my customer lettng them know what went wrong and attempting for us both to find a way to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have to work from the baisis that the customer has to be treated as thought they are always right. Of course, they aren't, but I need for them to feel that way. I can't afford to lose them, particularly not in the current economic climate. Yes, it involves a lot of biting my lip, swallowing my pride and spending a long time carefully phrasing my communications and checking and double checking them before I raise any issues, but I have to make a living. If they have a criticism of my work, I have to listen to it. If they are unreasonable in their criticism, I still have to listen to it, seriously examine whether there is any basis to it, underneath what might be less then diplomatic phrasing, and then try and sort it so that we are both happy. Yes, we are all rather prostituting ourselves, but we want to continue doing what we are doing.

And don't forget that many people have a high emotional investment in these, as well as potentially spending a large chunk of our hard-earned cash on them. We have a stake here too.

First rule of customer service. The customer is always right, even when he's wrong.
In our own businesses we have to deal with people that don't like what we've done. If we spend forever on something, then some don't like it, and say so, even forcefully, best to ignore it, and rub it off.
We all have opinions, and this site is about 90% opinions; both positive and negative.
Anyways, I'm still thinking that the Sherlock is pretty cool, and I'd be inclined to pick it up, but not the Watson.

Back