Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #13 Jodie Whittaker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I’d like to support the range, I have to wonder how soon after payment will these figures be coming out? I don’t want to prepay $270 and then have to wait a year for the figure... Especially as I’m on the fence about whether or not I want this particular Doctor. ...And I’m still wondering where my Eighth Doctor is.

Yes, that's a big concern as well. Delays happen, a few months isn't too bad but the 8th Doctor is going on 2 years since preorder. How firm will the release window be and what assurances do we have that it too won't suffer from a massive delay? I'd also like to know what quality the new factory is putting out. The older Doctors could be very hit or miss. 1, new 11, War and the new 4 head all turned out great but 10 and 12 to a lesser degree had poor paint and 9 looks bad enough I'm hoping a new head is made to replace the current one, like Tom and Amy had. Where will 13 fall on the quality scale?

The alternative smiling head looks great! Exactly what I was looking for.

Yeah that did turn out pretty good. It does feel to me like her eyes are a bit too wide open for a smiling expression, but it still works well enough. And at least it's not one of those weird and creepy looking smiles like on some other sculpts we've seen.

FB_IMG_1548695792878.jpg

Looks great. It's nice we're getting both heads and a signature with this edition. Since I'm sure she'll be a little light on accessories just because there wasn't a lot to replicate from the series so far.

It's not usually the sculpts that worry with with Big Chief, it's the production paints... still, worst case scenario and a repaint can rectify that. Not that doing so should ever be needed, strictly speaking.

Regardless of such what ifs, even though Jodie sits pretty low on my overall Doctors list right now, I'm definitely in.

Looks great. It's nice we're getting both heads and a signature with this edition. Since I'm sure she'll be a little light on accessories just because there wasn't a lot to replicate from the series so far.

And apparently from what has been said elsewhere they aren't allowed to do the New Years special scarf for some reason (which seems...odd, but either way we aren't getting it), so that's another possible off the list.

So potential accessories maybe two versions of the sonic (activated and not), the bum bag, alternate shirt, kerblam box (with fez?), maybe the Pting seeing it is so small, or the goggles from the first episode? Can't think of too much else offhand, unless they wanted to start throwing in a frog and spiders... :lol

It's a shame, because the scarf is the only other accessory I'd really want to use besides the sonic. All the dozens of other props and nicknacks they always include with these DW figures I never end up using.

It also would have been handy to help soften the neck a bit. I'm sure there will likely be a custom version at some point for those that are really keen on that look.

And apparently from what has been said elsewhere they aren't allowed to do the New Years special scarf for some reason (which seems...odd, but either way we aren't getting it), so that's another possible off the list.

So potential accessories maybe two versions of the sonic (activated and not), the bum bag, alternate shirt, kerblam box (with fez?), maybe the Pting seeing it is so small, or the goggles from the first episode? Can't think of too much else offhand, unless they wanted to start throwing in a frog and spiders... :lol

Oh, I hadn't heard about the scarf. That does seem strange. Although I know BBC has gotten really weird with their licensing. They treat Doctor Who as though it's Star Wars which... well, it's not. Though I love DW, of course. It wouldn't surprise me if the special wasn't split out from the licensing or if the licensing is per series and the NY episode isn't considered part of the main series. It's all very odd. And disappointing because that would have been cool!

Your list of accessories seems plausible. Honestly, I don't need a bunch. Give me the sonics. Alt shirt. Maybe the bum bag? The goggles could be fun. But that's about all I'd need.

Yeah, for most of the Doctors, beyond the Sonic everything else is gravy. Though there are a few exceptions, like the First Doctor's cane, or the Fourth Doctor's jellybabies and, I'd argue, yo-yo (given that he almost always wore a scarf it's an essential part of his costume, rather than an accessory in his case), but for the most part all I really need is the very few, key items related to each Doctor.

That said, extra options are always welcome, all the same.

Shame about the price increase...$440 AUD is wayyyy too much. Over a hundred bucks more than previous releases, even including shipping.

The digital sculpt looks phenomenal, although i saw on Big Chief’s Facebook that they don’t plan to share any painted prototypes for it until the project has been greenlit. I’m sure that will rattle some fans given how much money they are expected to part with.

Hope this Launch Pad release goes well - I’m still devastated that we didn’t get to see Lady Penelope and Parker make it past the finish line on their last initiative.

As a business move, it makes complete sense to use this as a tool to shorten their product life cycles and get more collectables out there. I can imagine the working capital cycle of a business like this must be brutal - huge upfront costs, then all your cash tied up in stock that may take years to move. It’s just also tough, as sixth scale collectors are rightfully cautious about buying anything until they’ve seen the finished product. Hopefully they keep flexing the Launchpad medium with each release until they find a formula that works for both them and collectors alike.

It's a shame, because the scarf is the only other accessory I'd really want to use besides the sonic. All the dozens of other props and nicknacks they always include with these DW figures I never end up using.

They probably can’t produce the scarf without having to pay Paul Smith.

Shame about the price increase...$440 AUD is wayyyy too much. Over a hundred bucks more than previous releases, even including shipping.

That's not the price. You won't be paying VAT, so you would be paying the ex-vat price, which Big Chief once again shot themselves in the foot over by stupidly not listing the ex-vat price explicitly on their promo page (hence why so many international buyers are understandably confused and put off and now think this will cost them significantly more than it actually will).

Now I don't know what the ex-vat price will be, exactly, as it has never seemed predictably consistent as far as I could see based on previous releases, but I would guesstimate somewhere just sub or up to the 200 pounds mark, so even taking the latter, that would be 367 AUD, based on todays exchange rates. So in the same ballpark as most retail hot toys prices here. Given that it comes signed, with two head sculpts and free shipping, that seems like a pretty reasonable price to me in the current market, personally.

Oh, and just by comparison, the Paul McGann signature edition (which still hasn't come out...) cost 183.33 ex-vat originally, or 336.50 AUD (they have actually raised the price considerably since, and is now 208.33 pounds ex vat!), and we still need to pay shipping on that when it does finally hit, which based on the last Doctor to ship (The War Doctor) to Australia cost another 27 pounds , or 50 AUD. So assuming McGann will cost at least the same, postage wise, Thirteen will actually end up about twenty bucks Australian cheaper than Eight will ultimately cost, with shipping taken into account, for those of us who jumped on board originally, and even more for those who jumped on that one late, after the hefty price hike.

They probably can’t produce the scarf without having to pay Paul Smith.

That is very likely it. And on BC's margins, I can't imagine doing so would feel worth the extra investment, even if it were viable (which it may well not be). Still a bit of a shame, though.

Going live tonight (early morning for me).
I did sign up for the priority email, but as yet, I haven’t received the thing.

These things are usually (intended to be) launched at 6pm UK time, as far as Big Chief's own releases go, so that'a a little over five hours from the time I'm writing this. When we will get the emails with the link, who knows. So far so Big Chief as far as clarity of information goes. :lol

Back