Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #13 Jodie Whittaker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, hopefully they will finally put up that Pertwee in coming months, and the response will be equally as strong as this launch has been thus far (at 187 already it is certainly looking very promising). And then so on for the rest of the unmade classic series Doctors, as well.

i'm currently kitbashing a Second Doctor, but I'll still buy an official Troughton figure if/when one is made. In fact I'm actually toying with maybe doing an older Five/Two Doctors version with this bash for that very reason, given that if/when BC get around to Troughton it will invariably (and sensibly) be the younger series version from the Second Doctor era proper.

200 and going strong.
ABD54358-C3B8-432B-8063-06428DF46A44.jpeg

Let's say she doesn't get to 500...if she can't hit that mark is their realistically a character in their line of licenses that could? I figured this would have been a shoe-in.

As much as I love her main outfit, I'd really love to have this one as well, with the goggles and apron. Although I can see how the goggles might have proved a challenge with the sculpted hair. They would have needed to sculpt them in and have it as a whole separate head probably.

1101_46929.jpg

I can’t help but think that orders would go more quickly should they have waited until they could include images of the actual prototype smiling portrait and all of the accessories. I think actually seeing the second portrait and the creature along with the
Kerblam package would drum up even more enthusiasm .

I can’t see this not reaching 500, and in less than their 40 day window.
My question: do BC raise the edition number to accommodate any increase in demand?
If they do, will this become a second edition, non-signature?

I think BigChief has said said this is the only version of the Thirteenth Doctor that they’re doing. I do wish they’d include the scarf she wore in the New Year’s Day special. I’m not holding my breath for that November release. Still, I placed my order to support the line. I’m happy we’re getting two portraits, and I’m delighted to get a Pting, as that episode was one of my favorites this season. Bring on Pertwee!

I hope if/when they do the Pertwee figure we can get a version with a couple of jackets (one red, the other dark blue), cloak, dematerializaton circuit, metebilis crystal, sonic screwdriver, and ‘arrowhead’ TARDIS key! Maybe even make the portrait with a swappable hair piece, to represent his hairstyles from the early and later series.

It has hit 250, halfway there. I imagine it will slow after the initial rush but will pick up in the last 100 as fence sitters realize it is about to be sold out.

Pretty much my thoughts also.

What does surprise me, and similarly surprised me with Thunderbirds also, is just how little Big Chief seem to bother to actually push, promote, or get word out as far and wide about these things as they possibly can. targeting relevant Blogs, major fan websites, and geek related newsites, all of whom are always hungry for content. Why they don't actively contact as many as they can think of, doing the odd interview or even offering an exclusive of some kind or a competition for the major players like your nerdists or den of geeks or whoever, in exchange for some quality coverage. But instead they seem largely content with just putting stuff up on their own social media with minimal public interaction, doing the odd local convention, waiting for bloggers etc to approach them, and basically expecting potential customers to find them. It all just seems very odd and counter-productive to me. :dunno

I did see it posted on the main Doctor Who FB page, although not sure if that was their doing. I agree though all their figure launches appear to very quiet and under the radar compared to what we see from Sideshow or HT. And QMX is the same way with Trek.

Anyway, it's up to 272 now so thankfully doesn't appear to be slowing down just yet.

Yeah QMX is another good example of this, though at least they have some added exposure from the likes of Michael Crawford. It honestly kinda mystifies me, particularly from companies that are struggling to fill minimum runs despite having iconic licenses with worldwide fanbases.

As a fan of these franchises and characters I just want to see these releases do well so we get more in future.

272 already? I'd be surprised if this ended up falling short of the 500 needed.

If the target is only 500 and the sculpts were good I'd hope that all the remaining Doctors would be able to manage that. Especially when the eighties Doctors of Davison, Colin Baker and McCoy would all have the added draw, one assumes, of being signed editions.

Assuming Whittaker goes through, we're only five more releases away from the full lineup of having all fourteen Doctors done, so a man can dream...

Me too. I also can’t help but think that classic Doctors would sell at least as quickly as Jodie seems to be selling.

Given the amount of "controversy" that Jodie's Doctor faced even from NuWho fans and the niche that our collecting is already and hitting 272, I would imagine the classic Doctors would be already done and ready to go.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure how many old school DW fans are out there who also happen to be 1/6 collectors. Or if it would really be doing much better than classic Trek is with QMX. Seems like most of the interest from collectors right now is in newer movies and superheroes.

Plus I suspect the number of old fans DW lost was made up by newer fans and women who aren't really collectors but just want to have a cool Jodie figure on their shelf.

I'm not saying they wouldn't hit their target of course, I'm just not sure it would be that much faster than this one is doing.

Currently at 280. BCS needs to sell an average of 6 orders per day for the next 36 days for this to be successful. That seems very doable.

Back