Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #11 Matt Smith in Series 7 costume

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They outright said as much. It wasn't inferred, it was out and out stated. Despite already holding the figure that I had pre-ordered and paid for in good faith for three weeks already, they won't send it to me until I go through all the rigmarole of fixing their error for them, and provide proof that I have done so:

...once you confirm despatch by a photo of the receipt we'll send your 11th Doctor with Handles

Anyway, I've just had enough, and needed to vent. For, well, self explanatory reasons, really...

Last edited:
That's such a bizarre story, ex-parrot. I've only had to deal with their customer service a few times and they've always been very helpful. Slow to respond, but helpful

As others can testify, I have the emails to back every part of it up. In fact what I wrote here is just the cliffsnotes version, a brief backstory to give some context to this latest sorry chapter. The full thing is even more drawn out, bizarre, and ridiculous.

None of it makes any kind of sense to me, either. And I'm stuck right in the middle of the damn thing... :gah:

They outright said as much. It wasn't inferred, it was out and out stated. Despite already holding the figure that I have paid for, in good faith, they won't send it until I go through all the rigmarole of fixing their error for them, and provide proof that I have done so:

Anyway, I've just had enough, and needed to vent. For, well, self explanatory reasons, really...

Collecting is about so much more than just putting a figure on your shelf, it can be about being part of the community for example, or as you say, it can be a release from an otherwise stressful time in your life. The late Daron Woodward understood that; he was a carer too, like yourself, and I remember him posting here that the hobby provided him with an important means of escape from his responsibilities. Now, through no fault of your own, something you do to relax has become really stressful. I think that's awful, and I feel for you.

This whole saga boils down to one or two headlines that could be endlessly repeated on forums, and those headlines don't reflect badly on you. For this reason I'd be very surprised if BCS didn't resolve this as soon as possible.

Let us know what happens Ex-P, and try not to let it get you down.

Ex-Parrot, you are doing the right thing by not paying the return shipping. My 4th Doctor coat was missing a button and I had to send the original back to get the replacement. They told me I'd be reimbursed shipping charges but it never happened.

Glad they have a US distribution again, because I won't deal with them directly. I was willing to give them a second chance, but after your story...

Thanks guys.

Thing is, if this was my error, and in any way my mistake on any level to begin with, I would have paid to send it back to them, and just hoped that they made good and reimbursed me. But this is 100% solely and completely their mistake. They sent me something I didn't order, and didn't want, completely unsolicited, separate and unattached to anything I have ordered in the past from them. And despite the fact that I have always been willing to work with them to assist in the return of their item, and fix their error to their ultimate benefit, I have been treated like dirt, as if I am somehow to blame just for receiving their screw up, while they seemed more interested in saving money on the international return, and doing so in a way that was most advantageous and convenient for them, with scant regard to me, and with the bizarre expectation that I am somehow just here to make their life easier and fix their problem that I've been unwittingly dragged into and inconvenienced by for far longer now than anyone could rightly or justifiably expect.

All this despite the fact that, to my mind at least, such treatment and such expectations makes no sort of logical sense whatsoever, given that I am a customer, whose own honesty brought this matter to their attention to begin with, and that this is completely their error in every concievable way, shape, and form. Especially when, in every single email, I keep telling them I'm willing to help them in the return of the item, in a fair and reasonable manner. I just wouldn't pay out of my own pocket for the 'privilege' of doing so, that's all. Nor would any other company I have ever dealt with ever expect me to do so, in order to help fix their own mistake. I've even held my tongue about it, for two months, and continued to try to give them the benefit of every doubt, while this dragged on (and on, and on). But confirmation that they have decided to intentionally withhold something that I paid for in good faith, until I fix their problem for them that they were 100% responsible for the blame of in the first place, that's finally just tipped me right over the edge today. And I'm not staying quiet any more. Nor am I doing anything until I get the item that I have long since paid for.

I mean think about this, they are punishing me by withholding something that I paid for, in advance and in good faith, just for being the supremely unfortunate recipient of their mistake. And they have threatened to continue to withhold the item that I have paid for until after I fix their mistake for them, and send them proof that I have done so! Is it just me, or is that utterly insane?

Craziest thing? I'm still willing to help them, and send their item back. Even after all this. I'm just not willing to have items that I paid for held hostage as some ridiculous form of leverage against me to do so (a threat the likes of which they didn't even need! All they ever needed to be was reasonable, and either arrange for a pre-paid courier pick-up themselves, send me a pre-paid mailing label, or send me the money via electronic transfer to post it back to them...). And anyone out there who can't understand how any of this could possibly happen, believe me, I'm right there with you, because I don't understand it either. I really, truly, don't. :banghead

This isn't exactly my regular haunt, but having just heard about this, I popped over to lend my support. This whole thing is just shameful, and a real stain against Big Chief in my view. A company that I have long supported, and even regularly defended elsewhere in the past.

This is indefensible, though.

If they fail to make this right then I, for one, won't be ordering directly from them again. No matter what incentives they may offer. If a company doesn't have, or deserve, the trust of its customer base, it doesn't have anything.

Spitefully holding on to paid pre-orders as a way of trying to force your will on a customer and make them fix problems of your own making? Really, Big Chief? Again, just simply shameful.

I'd like to hear how they possibly defend doing that, on any level whatsoever. Better yet, I'd like to hear how they intend to make this right. Word is already starting to spread, so doing so sooner rather than later might be a good idea, too.

Please keep us updated, Ex-Parrot.

Ex-Parrot, you are doing the right thing by not paying the return shipping. My 4th Doctor coat was missing a button and I had to send the original back to get the replacement. They told me I'd be reimbursed shipping charges but it never happened.

Glad they have a US distribution again, because I won't deal with them directly. I was willing to give them a second chance, but after your story...

That's odd. I had to have a shoe replaced on my 10th and most recently the shirt and vest on this one, but they never made me ship anything back. I guess this company comes down to who you luck out with in handling your email

Sorry to hear your problems are bigger than just a shipping error, Parrot. They're definitely in the wrong here and while I'm not from the UK I believe they have very good consumer protection rights that Big Chief would need to adhere to. I would be looking into those and you could try approaching them from that angle. I would also cancel every preorder I have with them and contact my credit card and have them do a charge back for the 11th Doctor and any other payments you have on preorder from them. You have evidence they're intentionally holding back your figure you've payed for, they can't do that and I wouldn't deal with them at all anymore if they're going to treat you like that. There are other places to get these figures now. You'll miss out on the preorder bonuses but at least someone like BBTS won't treat you like a criminal for their mistakes.

That is a shocking read, Ex-Parrot. I would strongly suggest taking VincentVegaFFF's advice, and look into who you can report them to.

Sensible advice, and I'm well aware in the back of my mind that doing so is always an option that is open to me. Particularly as I have four other pre-orders with them, apart from this one. And I'm also aware that there are a whole host of related parties that I can get involved, if needs must. But honestly, I'd really rather it doesn't have to come to any of that. Even now. I guess that I'm still hoping that common sense will prevail, even though I've sadly seen precious little evidence of much of that being shown so far.

If this gets amicably sorted, I'm not the type to hold a grudge, or to continue to bring it up or harp on about it, despite everything that has happened thus far. But by the same measure, I'll only take so much pushing before I seriously start to push back. And I've hit my limit on the latter. The ball is entirely in their court, now. But then, it kind of always was.

Sensible advice, and I'm well aware in the back of my mind that doing so is always an option that is open to me. Particularly as I have four other pre-orders with them, apart from this one. And I'm also aware that there are a whole host of related parties that I can get involved, if needs must. But honestly, I'd really rather it doesn't have to come to any of that. Even now. I guess that I'm still hoping that common sense will prevail, even though I've sadly seen precious little evidence of much of that being shown so far.

If this gets amicably sorted, I'm not the type to hold a grudge, or to continue to bring it up or harp on about it, despite everything that has happened thus far. But by the same measure, I'll only take so much pushing before I seriously start to push back. And I've hit my limit on the latter. The ball is entirely in their court, now. But then, it kind of always was.

Wow....
Did you pay the pre-order they are holding via a credit card? I'd report it instantly as it is extortion.
Their behaviour is criminal and there is no other word for it.

As I said previously, the slack they get cut is so far beyond any other company its not even funny.
This is so far over the line I don't even know what else to say....

For me it's not so much me cutting them slack at this point, as much as it is that I'd rather avoid this getting any uglier and more unpleasant and ridiculously drawn out and complicated than it already has been. So I've made it public here, as a last resort, in the hopes that if my voice saying this is unacceptable holds no weight with them, then just maybe other voices and customers doing so might have some effect and force a common sense solution. So I'm still open to giving them an 'out', here. Even now. Even after all this. But it's the last one they'll get from me. After this, if left with no other option, I'll have to start taking my complaints to my credit card company, to worldpay, to any shareholders in this that I can think of. Because you just can't treat people like this, much less do so to paying and formerly loyal customers. And the sheer degree to which this is a clear abuse of trust and a violation of the basic customer/company service and payment relationship still, honestly, absolutely astounds me. And defies any kind of logic, rationality, or basic common sense. The whole thing seriously does my head in...

So what's their actual problem that's preventing the return of the angel you didn't order? They just don't want to reimburse you for the return shipping? Or they're waiting for you to send it back before reimbursing you?

For me it's not so much me cutting them slack at this point, as much as it is that I'd rather avoid this getting any uglier and more unpleasant and ridiculously drawn out and complicated than it already has been. So I've made it public here, as a last resort, in the hopes that if my voice saying this is unacceptable holds no weight with them, then just maybe other voices and customers doing so might have some effect and force a common sense solution. So I'm still open to giving them an 'out', here. Even now. Even after all this. But it's the last one they'll get from me. After this, if left with no other option, I'll have to start taking my complaints to my credit card company, to worldpay, to any shareholders in this that I can think of. Because you just can't treat people like this, much less do so to paying and formerly loyal customers. And the sheer degree to which this is a clear abuse of trust and a violation of the basic customer/company service and payment relationship still, honestly, absolutely astounds me. And defies any kind of logic, rationality, or basic common sense. The whole thing seriously does my head in...

It is definitely the case that you've waited a long time to make this public, which does you credit, and it seems pretty indefensible that they should wait three weeks before even telling you that the dispatch of your Eleven is connected with the return of the other figure.

As a customer of BCS what I would like to hear is that you've received word today that they dispatched your Eleven; together with a note from them organising the collection of your Angel in a way that causes you no trouble whatsoever. That would seem to be the wisest course of action on their part, before people start thinking too hard about this. I can't see at this stage that it will help them in any way for BCS to start defending themselves publicly. The best outcome for BCS now would be for you to get gold-plated customer service from them all the way.

Honestly, I'd be content with just a reasonable, professional level of service, sending me what I paid for, and paying for the return of what I never asked for. That's all. I was never looking for special treatment. Mind you, I was never looking for this particular nightmare, either, and yet... :dunno

So what's their actual problem that's preventing the return of the angel you didn't order? They just don't want to reimburse you for the return shipping? Or they're waiting for you to send it back before reimbursing you?

Without going too deep into it all over again, basically the sticking point, as I see it, and which has apparently painted me as the villain of the piece in their eyes, is that I refused to go out of pocket and front the expense myself of the international return, for a mistake that was, in no part, my own doing, and they then spent weeks going back and forth trying to get me to agree to some range of solutions that were all exclusively in their own best interests, with scant regards to my own, and that particular sticking point, or indeed, often to just basic common sense.

At one point, and I kid you not, they even wanted me to hold the item for them until they found another local customer to sell it to, so they could save money on the return, and instead just have me forward the item on. Probably still at my expense, they didn't say, I didn't ask. Instead I remember thinking to myself that I'm not a warehouse here to store and send things out at Big Chief's convenience, but honestly, I'd just have been glad to send this thing off anywhere and be done with it by that point, so all I actually did say on the matter is that they should make sure any potential customer is made aware that the package has been opened (which I had already informed them of, previously, in order to check for damage and originally to see if there was any indication inside as to why it had been sent in the first place). I never heard anything back on that particular idea after that.

From day one, when I contacted them and first informed them about their error (or which they were apparently oblivious), I was more than willing to assist them in the return of this piece, that has never even been a debate. And at no point have I ever reneged on that offer. In fact I have continuously pointed out, over and over, despite everything, that I am still, and always have been, perfectly willing to do so, and see their item safely returned to them. However my single and only caveat being that I wasn't comfortable with going out of pocket to do so, beyond the free giving of some of my time, petrol, and leg work, as might be needed to get it all done. To me that doesn't seem in any way unreasonable, as I endeavour to assist them with rectifying a mistake of their own creation, to their own ultimate benefit. But basically, in a nutshell, that instead, illogically, and frustratingly, led to five weeks or so of back and forth email Hell, to no advancement or result whatsoever.

The honest truth is, which I did not ever say, so as not to insult them, or risk making the situation harder than it had already needlessly become, but I didn't fully trust them enough to reimburse me, or even if they did, that they would do so in anything approaching a timely manner, and without additional headache. Which is why I was unwilling to pay out of my own pocket and cover shipping rates on a heavy statue from Australia all the way back to the UK.

Especially as, throughout all this they only ever seemed concerned with getting what they want, in a way that is to their own best benefit. And additionally, because I also recalled that someone else had complained in the past that Big Chief had never made good on a promised shipping reimbursement to them (something which I have again seen repeated, upthread). And also given that, in the past, any time I have needed to contact them on an issue I have either received no response at all, or else when I finally did get a response, nothing was actually resolved, and I eventually just gave up on the matter, and let it slide. Hell, I couldn't even get them to update and fix the email address attached to my account! And it took a couple of months just to get them to unlock said account, after I tried to update it manually, and the system responded by locking me out of it, and nullifying my login details. And so the simple fact of the matter that always stuck in my head was, if, for whatever reason, I wasn't reimbursed, there is absolutely nothing I could ever do about it. What recourse would I have? Send them more easily ignored emails? I'd be out a good chunk of money, and there would be nothing I could do about it, other than just suck it up and eventually accept any such loss. So no, they had done nothing to earn the level of trust it takes to put a significant slice my own money on the line to fix their problem for them. I was willing to do pretty much anything else to help them resolve this matter, assist in any reasonable way, but risking a big chunk of my own money wasn't going to be part of the deal.

However, logically, that shouldn't have even been a problem. Or an issue. Much less an expectation at any point. They could have quite easily organised a courier pick-up, at their own expense, or they could have sent me a pre-paid return label, or they could have forwarded me the money and had me post it back to them, any of which would have been entirely acceptable, and sorted this entire thing out quickly and easily, with a minimum of fuss. Instead they seemed to think of this as a hostile negotiation, with the ultimate aim being for them to get the best possible deal that is most advantageous to them. At times I seriously felt like I was clearly being seen, somehow, as 'the enemy'. I still don't understand why.

And so around it goes, until I finally had had enough of going in circles and getting nowhere, all for an issue that wasn't even mine to begin with, and, politely, though pointedly, requested that they next contact me after they have arranged a courier pick-up, or similar, in order to supply me with the relevant details. But as far as the constant merry-go-round, I had, by that point, had enough. Again, still willing to help return their item to them, I'm just sick of banging my head against a wall after weeks on end while trying to do so, and so I left them with the responsibility to arrange matters at that point, and to let me know when they did. A responsibility which, let's face it, was really always theirs to begin with. I didn't hear anything back.

Fast forward a few more weeks, my 11th Doctor hasn't showed up. I email to enquire as to why. I point no fingers, make no assumptions, and raise no accusations. I don't complain about already having waited three weeks for the arrival of the item that I have paid for, instead giving the benefit of the doubt for what must be a simple oversight, and seek additional details. I am polite and respectful, and even make an effort to clear the air, once again in the hopes that everything can be sorted out to mutual satisfaction, with a minimum of fuss. I even compliment them on what I have seen of the upcoming Ninth Doctor sculpt, and praise their choice to craft it with a sculpted neck and chest.

They choose to respond to all that by going directly into a threat, informing me that they have deliberately withheld the item that I have pre-ordered and fully paid for, and telling me that they will only send it to me after I personally arrange and send the Weeping Angel back to them, and provide them with photographic proof of having done so. And so, here we are. I'm done keeping this quiet and private, and I've officially run out of giving them the benefit of any doubts.

I have over 900 pounds worth of paid, and as yet unfulfilled, orders and pre-orders with them. They have no reason not to trust me to aid in the return of this item, as I have always said I would, within fair expectation, and every reason not to alienate me as a customer. Much less over a problem that was not originally of my making, and of which my own honesty alerted them to. And yet, they have seemingly gone out of their way to make this entire process as difficult as humanly possible, for no immediately apparent reason whatsoever. And have now escalated matters into the utterly insane level of holding items that I have paid for hostage, all because something that should, and could, have been resolved two months ago, easily and logically, still hasn't been.

I wouldn't wait on them to make things right before investigating your other choices. You may only have a limited amount of time to file a complaint and you don't want to miss that window because it will only hurt you and benefit them. You've given them enough time to sort out the situation with the Angel and get your 11th Doctor out to you. They clearly aren't going to play ball with you and there's no reason to accommodate them any more than you already have. You gave them a chance to make it right and they didn't take it. That's on them, not you and it sounds like the only way you're going to see your figures or your money back is if you bring in someone else to deal it, whether that be WorldPay, your credit card company or whatever the UK's consumer protection branch is called.

You're probably right, and yet I still cling on to the faint hope that common sense can still somehow prevail. Even if it is, in every likelihood, a fool's hope at this point. And I am very clearly the fool.

At the very least I'll give them another 48 hours to respond to the email I sent yesterday. If not, and I haven't heard anything back after having waited three days since my last email, I guess I'll just have to do what I have to do, no matter how much I don't really want to have to do it.

This is such a depressingly stupid mess.

Back