Best Superhero Movie of all time? (So far)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the best Superhero movie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You're obviously to immature to have a legitimate conversation, and not intelligent enough to follow your own arguement, let alone participate in another.

Another interesting yet not unexpected response, one that as usual sees you posturing without actually addressing the points raised. One suspects this is because you are indeed incapable of explaining why The Dark Knight is a cinematic masterpiece and because even you realize the folly of your box office argument once Britney Spears throws it into sharp relief.

You are however partly correct about the box office. I had forgotten to include this week's take for The Dark Knight, which puts it roughly $30 million ahead of the 1989 Batman adjusted for inflation. Not exactly "well ahead" in percentages but of course you were guessing there anyway. :)

That it does, but jesus man you guys have been going back and forth since yesterday move on.

I'll quote this there and you can explain it to us in that thread. :)

I as well as many others have done so at least a month ago just read through the thread. I in fact touched on it earlier in this very thread. I just don't think there is another film that transcends this subgenre like the Dark Knight. From the script, the direction, the acting, the mature content, the score, and the cinematography, I just don't think there is a better film in this category. I don't think the film is perfect. It's just closer than everything else listed here.

I as well as many others have done so at least a month ago just read through the thread. I in fact touched on it earlier in this very thread. I just don't think there is another film that transcends this subgenre like the Dark Knight.

I've set this up in the Dark Knight thread. I'd like to see a critical analysis because all I've seen (including in your post right here) is a thesis without textual support. I know from recent comments I am not the only person who would appreciate someone actually building a case rather than making an empty list.

I've set this up in the Dark Knight thread. I'd like to see a critical analysis because all I've seen (including in your post right here) is a thesis without textual support. I know from recent comments I am not the only person who would appreciate someone actually building a case rather than making an empty list.

Why? Is the movie on trail or something?

I don't think the film is perfect. It's just closer than everything else listed here.

Then don't make comparisons to "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Watchmen", which are masterpieces.

I'm just waiting to see if people can like this movie without fawning all over it gratiutously. And if someone even questions it slightly, it's hell to pay. It's like the media and Barack Obama. :lol

Then don't make comparisons to "The Dark Knight Returns" and "Watchmen", which are masterpieces.

I'm just waiting to see if people can like this movie without fawning all over it gratiutously. And if someone even questions it slightly, it's hell to pay. It's like the media and Barack Obama. :lol

The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen still have their flaws, that doesn't mean they're not masterpieces. The comparison is simply the influence each had and will have on their medium. Only time will tell though. A good indicator is that they're already talking about trying to make the reboot of Superman a dark film.

So it's wrong if someone considered TDK to be the best superhero flick to them?

Best is and always will be subjective.

The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen still have their flaws, that doesn't mean they're not masterpieces.
Really? What are their objective flaws?

The comparison is simply the influence each had and will have on their medium. Only time will tell though.
Right. So why put the cart before the horse, then? The books you've used as your comparison have been around for over two decades. They've earned their reputations as true masterpieces. TDK has barely been out for a month and you want to ascend it it that level, even while admitting that it's imperfect? Crazy talk, I say. Which takes me back to my original point: many people clearly need to wait to come down from the clouds before they truly can rank this film objectively.

This is how backlashes are born, folks.

A good indicator is that they're already talking about trying to make the reboot of Superman a dark film.

Uh, that would be a negative impact, imho. Superman should not ever be as "dark" as Batman.

Really? What are their objective flaws?

There is really no point in arguing over something like that. Just because something has flaws doesn't mean it can't be a masterpiece. But just to throw one out there... the lack of character development. Moore is a great writer of ideas, but not of people. At the end of reading Watchmen I find myself asking more who I'd believe in this world, not who I relate to. That's not a bad thing, but IMO I think it's a flaw to have the anatomy of a character remain stagnant throughout a story. Again, I still believe it's a masterpiece though and don't think you should nit pick at flaws in something like this.

Right. So why put the cart before the horse? The books you've used as your comparison have been around for over two decades. They've EARNED their reputations as true masterpieces. TDK has barely been out for a month and you want to ascend it it that level, even while admitting that it's imperfect? Crazy talk, I say. Which takes me back to my original point... many people need to wait to come down from the clouds before they truly can rank this film objectively.

I couldn't agree with you more that the hype is absurd and it will be interesting to see who's on the bandwagon and who really feels this way years from now. For me however that doesn't factor in. It's just my opinon, and it's not exactly as hard or as time restrictive as you're making it out to be. I just feel that it's light years better than anything else in the subgenre of "superhero" films. It's not a perfect movie. It's closer than anything else in it's genre though. TDKR and Watchmen redefined the comic world that was stale and had been around since the 20-30s. It's influence was felt immediately as was it's critical reception and fanfare, hell I'll be honest, the only reason I picked either up back then was because of the hype and praise surronding them. It's not something that took until 2008 to recognize. After the box office draw, the critical and fan reception The Dark Knight had you honestly don't think that it's influecne is going to be felt throughout the industry very similiar to the way those two novels immediately influenced the comic world?

Uh, that would be a negative impact, imho. Superman should not ever be as "dark" as Batman.

I didn't say it would be positive, I'm using it as an example of the influence TDK is already having in the genre of film it's classified under. Without TDKs success there's no way in hell anyone would pitch a dark Superman movie and be taken seriously. I'm simply pointing out that it's influece is starting whether we want it to or not.

After the box office draw, the critical and fan reception The Dark Knight had you honestly don't think that it's influecne is going to be felt throughout the industry very similiar to the way those two novels immediately influenced the comic world?

Titanic didn't. But The Dark Knight is interesting because the 1989 Batman had a similar cultural impact that managed to last all of one film.

Without TDKs success there's no way in hell anyone would pitch a dark Superman movie and be taken seriously.

I'm not sure why you think this. The Dark Knight simply builds on Batman Begins, which was able to be made "dark" because of the reception of many of the Marvel movies before it which took their premises seriously. X-Men begins in a concentration camp. It's been a natural progression, not a groundswell.

Only an idiot would propose a "dark" Superman film and the influence of The Dark Knight is likely to last until December, when The Spirit bombs. The first major DC misfire will be the nail in the coffin there. The proper legacy of The Dark Knight is "take it seriously" but of course comic book films have been doing that on and off for 19 years now.

But this is a bit of a red herring anyway, because the reason The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen were groundbreaking masterpieces that changed comic book storytelling wasn't because they were dark. That's what the hacks took from them, and it looks like that's what the hacks are taking from The Dark Knight, too.

Last edited:
Back