Best Superhero Movie of all time? (So far)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the best Superhero movie?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Not sure what Batman comics you've been reading.

I can't think of a single Batman comic that fits the world Nolan has created except maybe Year One at a stretch. Certainly not DKR or any of the monthly comics. Just look at any discussion of the third film and see how many characters get instantly dismissed as not "working" in the Nolan universe. Or do you honestly expect we'll see Mr Freeze straight out of the comics and a Batman who regularly battles aliens alongside the Justice League?

No? All right then.

I can't think of a single Batman comic that fits the world Nolan has created except maybe Year One at a stretch. Certainly not DKR or any of the monthly comics. Just look at any discussion of the third film and see how many characters get instantly dismissed as not "working" in the Nolan universe. Or do you honestly expect we'll see Mr Freeze straight out of the comics and a Batman who regularly battles aliens alongside the Justice League?

No? All right then.

There's plenty of comics that fit the description. Just because a comic has a Killer Croc or Clayface in it doesn't mean the tone and the themes aren't the same. They don't have to be. But you bring up an even bigger issue in my opinion. How many writers have tackled a Batman story? How many artist have made an interpretation of the Bats? Why is there a double standard for a screenwriter or director having his story or vision? Because it's not on print doesn't invalidate it as a legitimate take on Batman. Source material is just that. A source with which one can draw inspiration from. I don't see watching Nolan's take on the Bat world any different than reading a Miller, Loeb, or Moore take on it.

I think that Spiderman 2 is the best translation from Comic to film,
and not going over the top like TDK which basically turned Batman into a Cover-up Conspirator Fugitive, far from a Super-Hero
It's a great movie, but I think Superman and Spiderman movies, even Burton's Batman kept the essence of the CLASSIC character way better.

Why is there a double standard for a screenwriter or director having his story or vision?

There's not. The Dark Knight is a great movie. It's just not a very good superhero movie - it doesn't even want to be a superhero movie, and we can see this in the way it does everything it can to distance itself from that milieu short of actually doing away with the cowl.

I love most Superhero movies
I even think the directors cut of Daredevil is ok.
But my Top Favs are TDK, Spiderman 2, Batman Begins,Iron Man, Xmen and X2 and last but not least Unbreakable

Last edited:
There's not. The Dark Knight is a great movie. It's just not a very good superhero movie - it doesn't even want to be a superhero movie, and we can see this in the way it does everything it can to distance itself from that milieu short of actually doing away with the cowl.

When has Batman ever been a true superhero? Everything I've ever read he's just been a man in a mask fighting with gadgets. Oh well, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

When has Batman ever been a true superhero?

Can you name five Batman comics which are 1:1 reflections of the Nolan universe? No, you can't, because Nolan is not making truly representative Batman movies. And that's fine. They're great movies. But the idea that they work as superhero movies verges on the hilarious.

Can you name five Batman comics which are 1:1 reflections of the Nolan universe? No, you can't, because Nolan is not making truly representative Batman movies. And that's fine. They're great movies. But the idea that they work as superhero movies verges on the hilarious.

You can't do that with ANY Batman films or superhero films at all... with the exception of Superman.

I guess it depends on what kind of Batman you like. He's been portrayed in MANY different styles and takes throughout his comic career... some more fantastical and some more realistic. "Snow" was a realistic take on the character and Mr. Freeze... Year One is almost exactly like Batman Begins, with the exception of the cloth costume being absent. Even All Star Batman and Robin, as well as Dark Knight Returns have aspects about them that resonate with the Nolan version of Batman.

It's not that much of a stretch. Certainly not as much liberty that has been taken with Spider-Man, the X-Men and others of the film genre...

Like I said at the beginning... it all depends on what you expect from a Batman tale. I prefer gritty over fantastical, personally....

What's your point? Earlier you said there shouldn't be a double standard between a screenwriters take on a Batman story and a comic writers take on the story, yet you continue to apply it. And again, when has Batman ever been a true superhero, why is that even a part of your arguement? Name me five Batman comics where Bruce Wayne was ever anything other than Bruce Wayne under a cowl. You can't, and the idea that there is a truly representative version of a character that has been written about for decades is what's hilarious.

Yep, The Dark Knight is most certainly a superhero movie and IMO the best one ever made. I'd also put it in my top 10 films of *any* genre.

I'd say Batman Begins is the next "best" movie but Iron Man may be my second "favorite" overall.

Then the first Spider-Man then Superman: The Movie.

You can't do that with ANY Batman films or superhero films at all... with the exception of Superman.

I think you can do it for most superhero films, including many of the Batman films. I don't find Spider-Man to be the departure you seem to - certainly it's more representative of the comic book Spider-Man universe than the Nolan films are of Batman comics. When even Nolan point blank says the Penguin and Mr Freeze won't work in his universe, it becomes an inarguable point.

What's your point? Earlier you said there shouldn't be a double standard between a screenwriters take on a Batman story and a comic writers take on the story, yet you continue to apply it.

Nonsense. I've said repeatedly I think The Dark Knight is a great movie. But it's not representative of Batman comic books by any stretch of the imagination and therefore it's a bit silly holding it up as a superhero film. It's not a superhero film. It's a crime movie that does everything it can to delete superhero elements. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it makes for a good movie and audiences are unlikely to tolerate frozen villains and a friendship with Aquaman, not to mention Robin and Bat Mite. But those locked-off elements speak volumes about the distance between The Dark Knight and its four-color roots.

That's not a double standard. There's no judgment here. That's an observation.

Name me five Batman comics where Bruce Wayne was ever anything other than Bruce Wayne under a cowl.

This is irrelevant to my point. Why not reread what I wrote instead of propping up straw men?

Barbelith I think it might help if you realized that many (possibly even most) people define a "superhero movie" as one that features a superhero as its protagonist. It doesn't have to be a literal translation of a four-color comic book. Batman is considered a superhero so there you go.

The Dark Knight represents his character just fine. The universe he inhabits in the comics is ever changing. Nolan's universe is more in line with "Elseworlds" than Justice League, out of continuity but still representative of the character and his approach to dealing with conflict.

I think you can do it for most superhero films, including many of the Batman films. I don't find Spider-Man to be the departure you seem to - certainly it's more representative of the comic book Spider-Man universe than the Nolan films are of Batman comics. When even Nolan point blank says the Penguin and Mr Freeze won't work in his universe, it becomes an inarguable point.

Nonsense. I've said repeatedly I think The Dark Knight is a great movie. But it's not representative of Batman comic books by any stretch of the imagination and therefore it's a bit silly holding it up as a superhero film. It's not a superhero film. It's a crime movie that does everything it can to delete superhero elements. That's not necessarily a bad thing - it makes for a good movie and audiences are unlikely to tolerate frozen villains and a friendship with Aquaman, not to mention Robin and Bat Mite. But those locked-off elements speak volumes about the distance between The Dark Knight and its four-color roots.

That's not a double standard. There's no judgment here. That's an observation.

This is irrelevant to my point. Why not reread what I wrote instead of propping up straw men?

I'm sorry, but you keep double talking. You're getting lost in your own arguement. It's obvious you don't understand the Batman character or the tone of his stories. Batman has never been a superhero, don't know how much more clearly I could state that. He's a regular guy with a lot of gadgets. He's been that in all his comics, and he's been that in all his movies. The only point of arguement is whether or not Nolan's Batman films are representitive of the character, and they without a doubt capture the tone and the essence of the character of Batman. You can keep talking about fantastical comic book villians that won't fit in Nolan's films, but there's no point because it's not about a Killer Croc, it's about the Batman. Irregardless none of it matters because of my original point though. It's Nolan's take on the Bat world, his story is just as important to the character as anything in print. You say you're not applying the double standard but everything you keep posting is doing just that. For some reason to you Batman is all about what surronds him rather than the tone of the character himself.

Back