Batman 2014 Reboot: Ideas and direction you'd go

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K07

Super Freak
Reaction score
Too early to discuss this movie? When I first heard about this film, I was upset. I love Nolan's films and was hoping after he finished these first three, WB would continue the series with a loose continuity similar to the Burton/Schuemacher films and the Bond series. Recasts here and there, design changes here and there, directorial styles varying here and there, etc. I wanted Nolan's films to serve as the introduction to Batman, Alfred, Gordon, Lucius, and Joker and be the "early years." Future films would continue the character's mission with a veteran Batman in his prime, Joker popping up once per trilogy to torment Batman and Gotham, the birth of Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing, Oracle, and other allies. Eventually we could have had an old man Batman who would eventually give up the mantle ala Batman Beyond or even a Batman Inc plot line. Terry McGinnis or even ____ Grayson could have taken over and had Bruce retire. That could have been the end. Then they could have rebooted. That would have easily been a nine film series, but honestly, why jump to the end so quickly if they would recast every three-five movies? This could have gone on forever. But Nolan's ending it... It didn't take long for me to accept that and actually get excited for the reboot.

What's stopping WB from doing something similar above with a new series? Nothing. And now they can add fantastical elements and other DCU characters without messing with Nolan's established continuity. I am in the camp that believes adding aliens and superpowered beings into his films would make little sense and lessen them. Even if they did it in a fourth installment after he left. This will make us all happy.

Huge rant over. What do you want to see? What do you NOT want to see? Who would you like to see direct? Who would you cast? What characters missing from past incarnations would you want included? Anyone you would leave out altogether? We can talk about this new series as a whole or this specific upcoming film.

The only thing I can think of I absolutely don't want is another movie dedicated to Batman's origin. You could show it during the opening credits or through flashbacks or throw away references here and there. I also am not big on mixing Batman with the DCU at large but doubt they'd keep him separate from everyone else with the success of the Avengers. I don't mind if they do it since I still have Nolan's for my Batman exclusive series.

The only thing I absolutely want is existing villains with established relationships with Batman. Not all of them. Some of them can be new with their origins written into the narrative. But there's no need to reintroduce Batman to Joker. We've seen that story played out twice now. In the '60s Batman series and B:TAS, he just existed and was already known to the city and Batman. Let's do that on film please! The one time we really saw that was Harvey Dent in BF who is the ONE character who needed to be shown transform to make his downfall at all tragic.

Have at it. Let's try to keep comparing Burton's or Schuemacher's or Nolan's films out of here. You can address what you thought worked but rather than stating what didn't work, just tell what you want to see instead.

Ok... Have at it!

Batman Beyond would be neat to see and would be drastically different to Nolans films.

I'm rooting for a non-origin film as well.

Is it being released in theaters in 2014? If so that is probably too soon, unless it is already secretly in pre-production.

Just two years break?! There hasn't been such a small gap between Batman films since the gap between BF and B&R, and we all know what quality B&R was. :monkey4

Personally, I'd kill for an adaptation of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns

Ok, if they didn't go with my approach, I'd love a bunch of one-offs. Or perhaps some one-offs thrown into the mix at large. But not show how that's go with general audiences. It'd be hard to have two separate Batmans appearing onscreen simultaneously. Isn't that a big reason JL: Mortal was scrapped?

Is it being released in theaters in 2014? If so that is probably too soon, unless it is already secretly in pre-production.

Just two years break?! There hasn't been such a small gap between Batman films since the gap between BF and B&R, and we all know what quality B&R was. :monkey4

I don't know why I wrote 2014. You do raise a good point. Is that a real date or what? :lol

Agree with everything you said K07 - I also had that initial disappointment but I think (subject to how TDKR ends), things will be better this way.

I'd like to basically see a big screen adaptation of the world of BTAS / Arkham City.

I'd like it to have hints / possible cameos from others from the DCU and to sit in the same universe as Snyder's Man of Steel.

I'd like to see Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl / Oracle integrated into the series over time.

I'd like to see someone like David Fincher / Darren Aranofsky / Neill Blomkamp direct.

I'd like to basically see a big screen adaptation of the world of BTAS / Arkham City.

Forgot about Arkham Asylum! I haven't played the sequel, but everything I saw and everything from the original was great. If it was merely hints (like a reference to Coast City or Metropolis), that's cool. But I don't want them to share movies outside of JLA. Not even cameos. As we learned from the Avengers, RDJ wasted a movie commitment on a cameo! :lol

Forgot about Arkham Asylum! I haven't played the sequel, but everything I saw and everything from the original was great. If it was merely hints (like a reference to Coast City or Metropolis), that's cool. But I don't want them to share movies outside of JLA. Not even cameos. As we learned from the Avengers, RDJ wasted a movie commitment on a cameo! :lol

Dude. Forget this thread.

Go and buy Arkham City, Now.

That is all. :mad:

I really don't know a whole lot about Batman, but I would like to see a more fantastical, spooky, sinister, halloweeny Batman series. If that makes sense. :lol

I haven't played the Arkham Asylum games, but I think that's similar to what I'd like to see.

Arkham City is every thing Batman should be in every way possible. Everything. Cancel your life right now until you've played it at least twice. Your Batman fandom is officially revoked until you own this game.

Agree. Would like to see films on the look and feel of Arkham City. It is the best adaption of Batman ever.

Arkham City > Nolan Movies

A Batman that can fit into a JLA movie. I think the Arkham Asylum version could work in terms of look and mood. Keep away from the cartoony cheeze (Schumacher) or the ultra real (Nolan). Needs to exist in a slightly different universe, but not too over the top stylized like Burton's. After seeing the box office for Avengers, Warner has got to be thinking of its own Justice League strategy, so the pieces all have to fit together--Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, etc.

Personally, I'd kill for an adaptation of Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns

:goodpost::exactly: I too would love for a reboot to try something similar. Maybe even a trilogy with a young batman (Year One) then a mid aged bats movie followed by a closing chapter of the Dark Knight Returns.

Back