Balrogs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice setup Gondor59.

I personally think that prices will tail off a bit more and then stay there. There is no longer a scramble to get the WETA pieces since the PF is now openly available and at a fraction of market prices.
Would you drop $3000 for a Balrog now or buy yourself 10 PF's ?

WETA prices had commanded higher prices previously because they were the only high-end LOTR movie collectables at the time and now that has changed. To some, these pieces mean so much for the fact that it was created by Weta Workshop but to others it may not be enough to justify those prices.

Referring to ?'s post above: Would you spend $250 on a Lurtz bust or $350 on a PF full-scale. Bit of a no-brainer for me too...

ps. Im never letting go of my WETA pieces. Ever !

elwood49 said:
Well, I found where the Alien Queen is up for auction. I figured this is where it might be for sale (I mentioned it in my first post):

www.profilesinhistory.com

Here is the 4 part catalog to the March 31 auction.

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_1-50.pdf

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_51-100.pdf

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_101-150.pdf

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_151-224.pdf

I can't really afford most of that stuff, but I can dream. Other items for auction include the Holy Grail and Grail Tablet from Last Crusade, Indy's bag and a Sankara Stone from Temple of Doom, the Gillman mask from Creature from the Black Lagoon, Bad Mother F'er wallet from Pulp Fiction, Full Stan Winston Raptor head from Lost World, etc. etc. etc.:horror

BTW, I found the estimated value of the Alien Queen in that catalog. $25,000-$30,000. :(

I've often thought of liquidating my entire collection for just ONE item of that sort of historical importance.

Thanks for this info.!!!! I think I'm going to schedule an appt. for a viewing...maybe I'll attend!!!

It's been a about a year or more already since the bombardment of new products from Sideshow, be it Star Wars, LOTR, Marvel, Predator, Aliens, 1/4 scale, PF, 12", etc......but after looking at all that's been released, I frankly can say that my love is still for SS Wetas. I had stopped buying since the SS Weta ROTK range came out and intend to slowly start picking them up. I can't believe until now I still haven't gotten the Sauron Statue. That's because I know I can still get it fairly easily.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that no matter what other lines are out there now, eventhough how great they look, I still love SSW. That's what got me into collecting statues/busts. SSW is the pioneer in limited movie polystone collectibles which spawned what you see today. It's a combination of Weta being involved, the movie (LOTR) which I love and it being the first line to succeed which has made it special for me to continue to complete the collection.

As for the latest lines (PF,1/4, 12inch) by SS, I only feel the urge to buy it because I fear losing out and missing out on a good investment. I do not have that 'special' feeling to them at all eventhough how great they look, to me it feels like just another representation done by another company trying to jump into the bandwagon or profit from it. The secondary market for the new lines seems to have failed to take off. Personally I feel that what's driving the frenzy for collectibles nowadays is just a new breed of collectors who are buying collectibles as investments rather than for its true appeal. I wonder when this will cool off....

Anyway, just my thoughts.

ironman said:
Personally I feel that what's driving the frenzy for collectibles nowadays is just a new breed of collectors who are buying collectibles as investments rather than for its true appeal. I wonder when this will cool off....

Thanks for all the replies.
I agree Ironman. I would actually like to get a balrog one day and I was just thinking that if the prices are going to drop whats the point of paying a months salary for a statue when they may be cheaper down the line. I personaly cant work out how people justify spending that much on something like this what with all the other expenses of life like a mortgage, household bills, running a car, kids etc. I think I might also wait and see what GG produce as I have got quite a bit of their star wars stuff, which I love. Might be in for a long wait though but I'm patient!! :peace

Last edited:
ironman said:
It's been a about a year or more already since the bombardment of new products from Sideshow, be it Star Wars, LOTR, Marvel, Predator, Aliens, 1/4 scale, PF, 12", etc......but after looking at all that's been released, I frankly can say that my love is still for SS Wetas. I had stopped buying since the SS Weta ROTK range came out and intend to slowly start picking them up. I can't believe until now I still haven't gotten the Sauron Statue. That's because I know I can still get it fairly easily.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is that no matter what other lines are out there now, eventhough how great they look, I still love SSW. That's what got me into collecting statues/busts. SSW is the pioneer in limited movie polystone collectibles which spawned what you see today. It's a combination of Weta being involved, the movie (LOTR) which I love and it being the first line to succeed which has made it special for me to continue to complete the collection.

As for the latest lines (PF,1/4, 12inch) by SS, I only feel the urge to buy it because I fear losing out and missing out on a good investment. I do not have that 'special' feeling to them at all eventhough how great they look, to me it feels like just another representation done by another company trying to jump into the bandwagon or profit from it. The secondary market for the new lines seems to have failed to take off. Personally I feel that what's driving the frenzy for collectibles nowadays is just a new breed of collectors who are buying collectibles as investments rather than for its true appeal. I wonder when this will cool off....

My sentiments exactly too, my first love is not SS or Weta but SSW.... therefore I kept their Muppets line too... I am glad to say that there are none here in this board who collect these seemingly childish polystone busts except me... and I have collected them as there are the first SSW line of products, other than LOTR line, there will be no other...

Gunner73 said:
Thanks for all the replies.
I agree Ironman. I would actually like to get a balrog one day and I was just thinking that if the prices are going to drop whats the point of paying a months salary for a statue when they may be cheaper down the line. I personaly cant work out how people justify spending that much on something like this what with all the other expenses of life like a mortgage, household bills, running a car, kids etc. I think I might also wait and see what GG produce as I have got quite a bit of their star wars stuff, which I love. Might be in for a long wait though but I'm patient!! :peace

From the relatively "long history" of monitoring the ebay, many old timers which are bidders on high-priced items are gone.... except for one of two... one of them who is the current winning bidder for the much talked about CT now... in other words, there are "new players" in the pursuit of these collectors... should there really be a drop, I don't think there is much ... but there are always exception... look at Wiki. :naughty Its only less than 1k now

gtb said:
My sentiments exactly too, my first love is not SS or Weta but SSW.... therefore I kept their Muppets line too... I am glad to say that there are none here in this board who collect these seemingly childish polystone busts except me... and I have collected them as there are the first SSW line of products, other than LOTR line, there will be no other...

I have one Muppets bust and I like it but not sure getting into another line that is good for my health. :p

KAOSINLA said:
Thanks for this info.!!!! I think I'm going to schedule an appt. for a viewing...maybe I'll attend!!!

Awesome! Please feel free to PM me with your impression of PIH's collection or post it for us here. That would be an AMAZING tour. Seriously, some of that stuff belongs in the Smithsonian. I'm sure that's where Indy would want the memorabilia from those films. ;)

jlcmsu said:
I have one Muppets bust and I like it but not sure getting into another line that is good for my health. :p

I wish to guess which one is it... is it a free gift or you purchase that perhaps it will have certain connection to your character... each of them has a very unique, perhaps eccentric, character... if it is a gift, then it is not of your choice... then there is no way to guess...

Back