Haired figure Trend..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xipotec

Super Freak
Reaction score
So it seems , like PERS before it, mass market figures are going to delve into haired figures. A possible problematic area.

What do you think of this idea?

Personally I have quite a few figures with rooted hair. It takes ALOT of work to make them look even passable.

I kinda feel like alot of these rooted hair figures will end up looking like garbage after a few months in collectors homes.

What do you guys think?

I think it's case by case. I've had my InArt Joker from one of the early batches and they put so much product in the hair that I barely had to style it out of the box and it has stayed in place all these months without any further adjustment from me. If future releases follow the same care at the production level, I don't see it being an issue, even long term.

Now, HT could be a different story. We won't have any clues on how they're going to handle production rooted hair until their WB100 Wonder Woman releases at the earliest.

I don't like it for every figure as a really well sculpted short haired character will still look better to me than short rooted hair IMO. But for longer haired individuals it really works.

The longevity is admittedly concerning, as well as the heightened requirements for quality assurance. I’m really interested to see how the customs scene may adapt to accommodate this new wave of features. The expensive custom scene still seems to be thriving, even if some recent products have shifted a lot of the consumer base for certain characters and/or higher quality components, but I’m curious how normal it will be to see artists on social media open shops for hair styling and even PERS maintenance and even readjustment “surgery”. Ironically, a lot of this stuff seems to be exactly like LASIK where there’s still no real world example of the exact side effects to expect over the long term.

So it seems , like PERS before it, mass market figures are going to delve into haired figures. A possible problematic area.

Personally I have quite a few figures with rooted hair. It takes ALOT of work to make them look even passable.

I kinda feel like alot of these rooted hair figures will end up looking like garbage after a few months in collectors homes.

What do you guys think?
I had A1 Black Widow, CW Black Widow and ANH Chewbacca back in the day ... they took no small amount of meticulous fussing and styling to get looking good, and you could more or less forget about moving them without having to at least tweak and adjust the hair/fur again.

I have patience and dexterity that I know for a fact not every collector has, so unless these haired figures have a ton of product and don't get moved much, I think they're going to look a little *ahem* hairy in the hands of some collectors.

It all depends on the character's hair style being portrayed. The messier, the better.

Joker, Gandalf and Aragorn are just a few examples where it works and works well.

Any neatly styled hairstyle is out of the question. That latest Hot Toys Wonder Woman with lamb's wool hair is just begging for trouble, in the future.

You guys live in saunas or something? The hair doesn't change overtime if left untouched.
This.

I don't really get where the fear of the hair falling apart from time comes from? Do you pick up the figure up every week, give it a good 5 minute hard shake and then place it back on the shelf? The hair stays in place where you left it. It doesn't get old, get white hair and then fall off the scalp.

I even have an 8 year old Creg Joker sculpt that was rooted by Owen in 2015, that hasn't changed since the day I got it.

16406129648_750f0f735c_k_d.jpg

I don’t see it any more problematic anymore than the cheap rotting “pleather” that the majority of companies (HT included) use. It helps to add the level of realism you’d expect from figures in the $300 range. Most of the ones that do have it, as mentioned, tend to have a lot of product in it to hold the style in place; that being said, if you live in a high humidity area, or you keep them in direct sunlight, you’re probably screwed, anyway — either the clothing will rot, or you’ll have a figure with bad hair.

My pleather DX10 belt crumbled earlier today and thankfully I was able to secure a real leather replacement. No rooted hair is ever going to be a greater sin than pleather is…

Not really a trend. It's only really InArt going all in on it. Hot Toys haired pieces are limited to a set number.

But it's certainly a natural evolution for the hobby.

What do you guys think?
I mean Barbie is big now so…

I’m curious about them now that the technology has evolved more to where it can look really good. I don’t need every figure to be that way going forward though. Iconic favorite characters maybe I’ll jump in on.

Yeah I really don't understand the obsession with rooted hair, and there are very few figures (like a Doc Brown or Galdalf) where it really feels like a necessity to me. Especially when HT and other companies have really upped their game lately with the sculpted hair.

It’s sculpted hair 4 me, but I see the appeal of trying for the largest amount of detail and realism from a figure, the “miniaturized version” of [Insert Character Here]. When done right it DOES look good.

On the other hand, I’m not in the business of playing Vidal Sassoon (peep the dated reference 😄) so I’m all for the least amount of maintenance possible for collectibles.

Th

What do you guys think?
The moving eye feature was innovated by Enterbay and Hot Toys just stole it and patented it as their PERS to turn it into a selling gimmick. I think the first use of PERS was on the DX01 Joker. In the years since it was added to DX figures as a premium feature and then onto any random figures for that gimmick appeal. Personally, I never thought it added much value to a sculpt and in some cases actually created more problems.

Hot Toys did take the lead in developing a new fine sculpted hair mold with the first Terminator figure back around 2009. Until then there were limitations to how much detail a mold release could tolerate, but Hot Toys broke new ground by creating finer strands, ridges, grooves, peaks and spikes to create some very convincing plastic sculpted hair details. They’re still refining the level of fine detail to this day. I’ve seen some fantastic sculpted hair that leaves no desire for a rooted alternative. Have you seen the Art Figures Scissorhands? The sculpted hair on that little third party release is some of the best I’ve seen in 20 years of collecting.

InArt truly innovated in the area of "rooted" hair with the Joker figure by making a kind of sculpted and styled rigid wig. It's not really rooted, and as far as I can tell it’s a carefully styled strand hairpiece that's adhered to the sculpt. I was pretty impressed when I got mine because I really expected it to be the traditional synthetic rooted which is always more trouble than anything worth paying extra for. I doubt this "rooted" (actually non-rooted, so let’s say “faux-rooted”) hair will have any problems for years. It's not without some risks of shifting or becoming unruly, because these are loose strands, but the styling and whatever product they used to keep it in place is awfully stiff. As I mentioned, it's more like a sculpted form of rooted.

I don’t like rooted hair at all and feel like it’s out of sync with the largely plastic rest of the figure. Maybe if the sculpts were silicone to replicate flesh then rooted strand hair would fit a little better. Regardless, my experience with rooted hair was always bad to the point of ruining some figures for me. I think it only worked well on maybe two figures in my collection (a Black Widow and Sucker Punch Babydoll) where it required little maintenance. I still think sculpted hair can look much better than rooted just because of the deliberate and intentional detail that goes into it. However the sculptor chooses to style the hair it can be captured accurately in a sculpted form. Rooted means it’s random, to some extent, and that’s where its failure lies.

It was only recently, like last month, with InArt’s Joker where I saw how rooted (faux-rooted) can be done well when it’s an artisan project rather than a mass produced figure. InArt’s hairpiece added a lot of finesse to their Joker project. It worked and I would have felt like I chose a lesser figure if I bought the sculpted version. But this is a rare case and I’m waiting to see if they do as well with their Gandalf and Aragorn figures and use the same technique to create an equally accomplished version fo rooted hair. I trust they will!

This is now becoming a red herring race where both InArt and Hot Toys are throwing rooted hair on various figures without any real need. I understand that InArt’s concept is all about an elevated artisan alternative to traditional high-end 1:6 figures, but not every character needs this treatment. In the case of Joker it was something of a collector and customizer desire and dream project for many years to create the best Joker to date, but for various others characters it’s just not necessary. I really don’t think an Anakin reissue benefits from rooted hair when sculpted would have been fine for the character. Hot Toys simply needed to make the best Anakin figure to date as a DX project with loads of accessories and maybe two different sculpts… two sculpts with sculpted hair.

I don’t know where this rooted hair race is going or whether other companies will jump into the mix, but it’s not something I need or desire for this hobby.

I think the key is appropriate use.

I'm not impressed with the rooted hair on InArt's Batman and Bruce.

I am with Aragorn.

As long as rooting doesn't get forced into places where a quality sculpt will look better, I am happy to see the evolution.

Back