Balrogs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunner73

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few original balrogs and other high end items on ebay at the moment. Do you think people have noticed the prices dropping and have decided to cash in while they can? If this is the case do you think its worth waiting for a bit if you are in the market for one?

I haven't noticed any more than usual as far as the Balrog goes. I think the price is just taking a dip for a bit and over time will move steadily upwards. I'd say the drop could also be connected to folks just getting out of collecting because LOTR isn't the hot fad anymore. :confused:

Bodie The Cursed said:
Personally I see values dropping w/ all the other LoTR products saturating the market.

My .02:monkey1

I do too. As I've said before, the Balrog value shouldn't go any higher. There are TONS of them made (1,000+the AP's). For $3k and up, you can get original pieces from the films. Check out the Profiles in History auctions or these stores for original pieces.

www.screenused.com

www.propstore.com

I've been salivating over a few objects on those 2 sites for a while now. I've seen production maquettes from various films go up there quite often. My current drool inducing object at screenused is the actual Alien Queen miniature from Aliens:
alienruler0vj.jpg

1 of 1 in the world. Now THAT will be worth something one day, not some mass produced collectible made in China.

Bodie The Cursed said:
Personally I see values dropping w/ all the other LoTR products saturating the market.

My .02:monkey1

agreed. Prices are already dropping, once GG puts their stuff out, prices might drop a bit more. Too much LOTR stuff.

elwood49 said:
I've been salivating over a few objects on those 2 sites for a while now. I've seen production maquettes from various films go up there quite often. My current drool inducing object at screenused is the actual Alien Queen miniature from Aliens:
alienruler0vj.jpg

1 of 1 in the world. Now THAT will be worth something one day, not some mass produced collectible made in China.

That's awsome. Wonder how much it will fetch, if it ever goes on sale.

I disagree that there is too much LOTR stuff. SW has tons more stuff out there and the higher end stuff does pretty well as I think the LOT stuff will do over time.

I really don't see how you can consider 1k pieces plus maybe 50-100 AP's if that many are a TON. That is just plain silly IMO. Now, I do agree I don't think the Balrog will go past 3-4k over the life that people collect these.

That Alien piece is cool but it means nothing to me so to me it's worthless. In the end that's all these are worth is what each person is willing to pay.

In the end I paid 2200 for my Balrog if it goes below that and I overpaid what it finally ends up at then so be it. This piece is simply my fave and worth every penny. The SSW LOTR line means a lot to me personally as it does to lots of folks so the final value of them is invaluable.

I am not sure about the "grails" and I really don't believe that anyone is, but I have noticed a significant drop in both the WKTF and the CT, so I would imagine that the Rog isn't too far behind. I don't however believe that it is as a result of the PF announcement, as the latter two will likely not be made again in any form (at least not from SS). I just think people are moving on to other interests, and as someone who would really LOVE to get my hands on a CT I couldn't be happier. :D

The SSW line is a great line. I think Sideshows 12 inch and PF's line hurt the current prices, but it will turn around. WETA will be back with the hobbit. The Line does have alot of great sculpts that are overlooked as well as the bust line.

I don't think the GG line will hurt anything since its totally different. The problem with Sideshows 12 inch and PF's is that its no different then the Weta stuff or toybiz. Lurtz looks great but I think he was a bad 1st choice, Frodo has his problems as well as a high price. 12 inch Aragorn is also off. So its a bad start for a new line.

The weta stuff will always be the most sought after LOTR collectibles. The prices will jump up and down. But they will regain value over time. All the new SS LOTR stuuf will lose value once it ships, and stay under retail. So the WETA stuff is still a better investment.

Anyone who bought PF Frodo from SS already lost money, as dealers have them cheaper and ebay will be cheap also.

Let the prices drop on the Balrog!! I wouldn't mind having multiples of this piece! (one for home, one for office). Not that I would pay again what I paid for the one I have (and it was a lot - secondary market and all). But if they ever dropped to $500 or below, I would certainly buy a second.

But I don't see that happening. Not even if GG does a Balrog of their own.

Lot of people are moving away from it or at least down-sizing it so that they can move on to other stuff without digging deep in their pockets. Also physical space is a big issue for some people who have limited space or too many children. As long as SSW and other companies produce more new stuff, i won't think the high-end pieces can hold its values ($2.2K for Balrog, $1.5K for CT, $1K for WK, Stone Trolls, etc). Maybe it's just me and some other members, i think 1000 is a fairly large edition size. there will always be people selling one for lot of reasons. yes people are buying too but the interest will cool off.

hobbits movie might come out, yeah, but there will be more and more amazing products coming out as well. So, just buy the stuff you want to enjoy and affordable to you, even you might lose some money at the end. hey, buy a rolex or a gold bar if you don't want to lose a dime. All in all, collectible is just a hobby.

NASEDO said:
The problem with Sideshows 12 inch and PF's is that its no different then the Weta stuff or toybiz. Lurtz looks great but I think he was a bad 1st choice, Frodo has his problems as well as a high price. 12 inch Aragorn is also off. So its a bad start for a new line.

I have to disagree with your assessment above, though I'm in agreement with the rest of what you said.

In my opinion, Sideshow's Lurtz was a fantastic debut to the PF line. Not only did it sell out in record time, but it truly looks amazing and was the definitive version of the character that the collectors have been clamoring for. I think it should already be considered the measuring stick by which all other PF pieces from ANY line should be measured against. (baring any unforeseen production piece surprises.)

The 12 Inch Aragorn had it's share of controversy surrounding the headsculpt but once the pre-production (unpainted sculpt) as well as additional pictures were revealed, the naysayers quieted down. By the way, I have yet to hear anything negative about the Legolas 12 inch figure.

As for the PF Frodo, I agree that the price is too high and I for one am not too thrilled with the pose, though I don't have a major problem with the headsculpt, as many others do.

As for which line (SS PF vs SS/Weta) is the better one, that question is not a fair one. Two completely different types of collectibles. But I will be honest- I'd rather put $250 into the PF Lurtz than purchase outright the SS/Weta Lurtz bust.*

*display space not being an issue.

As much as I love my WETA LOTR statues, nothing beats items actually signed or hand written by Tolkien as the ultimate in LOTR collecting. For the price of the Balrog, and a little careful research, you can still own one of these items which, in my opinion, beats anything from the movies or the figure making companies.:peace

Gondor59 said:
As much as I love my WETA LOTR statues, nothing beats items actually signed or hand written by Tolkien as the ultimate in LOTR collecting. For the price of the Balrog, and a little careful research, you can still own one of these items which, in my opinion, beats anything from the movies or the figure making companies.:peace

Well, you are right....IMO, a true VALUED collectible will be those items that are related to Tolkien himself personally..I won't be suprised that if you are able to get hold of one of his small note paper that he scribbled to C.S. Lewis during WWI, that scrap of paper is worth hundred of thousands...Well, I don't think there will be any intrinsic value in that piece of paper but it just marks history.

Daddy Rog, CT etc are afterall commercial products so if a true collector is really keeping it for its value, perhaps like investment wines, you have to keep it really long. Recently I discovered one copy of the 1st/st Edition/impression of "Lord of the Rings" novel sold at tolkienshop.com at 30,000EURO....it was said that it has a printing edition size of 3500, pretty big compared to our 500, 750 or 1000. The value has increased because of the significance of the man that wrote that the edition size has reduced to 50 (it was reported) through the ages... Perhaps I should not suggest in what manner will Balrog be able to raise to that value.. :horror

So at the end of the day, like what Josh says:

That Alien piece is cool but it means nothing to me so to me it's worthless. In the end that's all these are worth is what each person is willing to pay.

Do you have own anything that is hand-signed by Tolkien himself? If you do, perhaps you can share the pic here??

Gunner73 said:
Hi Guys, I've noticed that there seem to be quite a few original balrogs and other high end items on ebay at the moment. Do you think people have noticed the prices dropping and have decided to cash in while they can? If this is the case do you think its worth waiting for a bit if you are in the market for one?

,..yes,..about time,..the most overpriced and overrated piece in history!,.. :sick

Well, I found where the Alien Queen is up for auction. I figured this is where it might be for sale (I mentioned it in my first post):

www.profilesinhistory.com

Here is the 4 part catalog to the March 31 auction.

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_1-50.pdf

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_51-100.pdf

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_101-150.pdf

https://204.200.196.80/pdf/A24_151-224.pdf

I can't really afford most of that stuff, but I can dream. Other items for auction include the Holy Grail and Grail Tablet from Last Crusade, Indy's bag and a Sankara Stone from Temple of Doom, the Gillman mask from Creature from the Black Lagoon, Bad Mother F'er wallet from Pulp Fiction, Full Stan Winston Raptor head from Lost World, etc. etc. etc.:horror

BTW, I found the estimated value of the Alien Queen in that catalog. $25,000-$30,000. :(

I've often thought of liquidating my entire collection for just ONE item of that sort of historical importance.

gtb said:
Do you have own anything that is hand-signed by Tolkien himself? If you do, perhaps you can share the pic here??

No, but I wish I did. That would be a very cool piece for me to personally own. Though to others it would be pretty worthless.

gtb said:

Yes, the map has a Tolkien signature mounted with it and there is a letter from Tolkien to a little girl in 1964 mounted just above Sting on the wall.

I'm not too worried about the prices of the weta stuff. There are a lot of reasons for the recent price leveling or "drop". I think the market in general is oversaturated and collectors are starting to have space and money problems as mentioned. It is not just weta pieces having a downturn, but other stuff as well. In some ways new versions like GG and LOTR PF's and 12 inch can create interest in old versions... but that is a tricky thing. I think sideshow probably should have started with 12" first and then moved on to PF's. Two versions at the same time is a bit much.

I think weta has done such incredible work with the LOTR trilogy that the statues will ultimately stand the test of time. It is a turning point right now, up or down? The speculators will start to leave the hobby and collectors will continue buying. I think shakeups are inevitable. I'm selling some of my stuff for personal reasons related to change in career, but I would hold on if this was happening right now. I am also getting much choosier because of space. I have pretty much stopped my GG collecting, particularly those pieces with high edition sizes. I will still continue with SS and Attakus. Much pickier with Bowen also.

Back