Haired figure Trend..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it's a pretty quick and concise NO from me.

Like you said, it's going to end up looking like garbage in coming months. Quick example is the CW Black Widow, I'm yet to see one on the secondary market or even in social media photography that looks remotely possible if not out right like a barbie thats been stuck at the bottom of a moving box for 10 years.

Sculpted hair is always a better, cleaner and far more manageable option.

So it seems , like PERS before it, mass market figures are going to delve into haired figures. A possible problematic area.

What do you think of this idea?

Personally I have quite a few figures with rooted hair. It takes ALOT of work to make them look even passable.

I kinda feel like alot of these rooted hair figures will end up looking like garbage after a few months in collectors homes.

What do you guys think?
I get where you are going with this. Will it age like pleather? one day, after a few years of storage, you get your rooted hair figure out of the box and suddenly find it to be bald?

So it's a pretty quick and concise NO from me.

Like you said, it's going to end up looking like garbage in coming months.
Not true at all. I’ve had the rooted InArt Joker for almost 6 months and still looks great and that’s with futzing the hair to style it better. And as others have mentioned, if it’s done well, then there will more than likely be no real longevity issues.

Quick example is the CW Black Widow, I'm yet to see one on the secondary market or even in social media photography that looks remotely possible if not out right like a barbie thats been stuck at the bottom of a moving box for 10 years.
That’s a terrible example and argument given that Black Widow (and others) uses an entirely different (and outdated) technique of punching the hair through a cap like piece much like how Barbie type dolls do it using a synthetic type fiber for the hair. Anything mass produced at this scale has been done that way until now.

The newer methods that you see from InArt and now Hot Toys don’t do that. They’re mimicking what custom artists have been doing for years by using a type of wool for the hair which behaves more like human hair, possibly dying it to match the character/actor hair color and is being strategically glued on the head to look more natural.

Sculpted hair is always a better, cleaner and far more manageable option.
Depends on what you’re going for. Sculpted hair will only take you so far in terms of realism. For a lot of us, realism is the goal with having what looks like a scaled down replica of the person/character on our shelves and well done rooted hair will take you to that next level. Of course, it doesn’t work on all cases as I’ve seen rooted shorter hair not improve a sculpt by much if it all. But with longer haired characters liked TDK Joker, ROTS Anakin, John Wick etc, it can really enhance the figure and take it to the next level of realism. The key is simply that it needs to be done well.

I don't like rooted hair, personally. I go to every length to avoid it. I know some people see added realism, and that's entirely fine. I just see dolls when I looked at rooted hair. I see art when I looked at sculpted hair. I'd rather collect art and not dolls.

To be fair, InArt is changing the game there, but I still bought their sculpted Aragorn, Joker and Harry Potter. I think the Anakin from Hot Toys doesn't look good in the slightest - to me, it's a doll.

I don't mind if companies want to start doing more rooted figures - especially if folks are enjoying it. I just hope they keep sculpted options, and that the sculpted hair continues to improve. Hot Toys and InArt really do wonderful jobs sculpting hair and if everyone can keep pushing that, I'll be very happy.

If everything became rooted only, I would definitely get out of the hobby and just enjoy what I have, regardless of how good rooted looks.

It is the future.

Seamless wrists next.

My guess is the next big leap comes with 3D Printers hit multiple stages of exponential development (including mixed media, etc, etc) and they become a bit more entry level in terms of usage and overall cost. But that is just going to take some time.

Supporting 1/6th scale? I don't know. The shift would likely need something smaller logistically. Also I can see companies desiring some kind of subscription and add-on model, much like video games, but again linked to 3D Printers.

IMHO, the hobby has hit a demarcation point. much like McFarlane in the old days, when it stopped being actual functional action figures and more about being quasi-statues called a figure.

I see rooted hair like I see metal in 1/6th weapons. It's a huge advantage in certain situations. And unwieldly in others. There should be a market share for something "mid tier" in 1/6th, but it doesn't exist right now. IMHO, that's what happened in the old days, in the early 90s when the normal was small edition sizes and more of a "boutique" level availability. There were gaps and a surrogate system emerged. The gap filler in the near future, again, IMHO, is the 3D Printer revolution to come. Just some thoughts.

In 2019, I saw Kojun's Al Pacino sculpt with a fully flexible, realistically sculpted neck. Changed everything with the head.

Been waiting for that tech to surface too. Along with more realistic poseable fingers -- certainly wire technology and rubber technology can allow for this.

Nice discussion! Hmmm, for my preference I would mostly go the sculpted route, but don’t oppose faux hair at all, in fact I think it’s awesome we’re seeing some greater and improving faux hair from IA/HT. Plus IA is offering BOTH sculpted and haired versions of most of their solicitations, which is just great catering for all collectors!

Though I do say, just out the experiences I have with the haired figures and head sculpts I own, I’m not too terribly fond of handling them too much since I end up getting the hair misaligned and berate to myself “Just stay put!” :lol Butt a useful tip I read on here is to dip your finger(s) in water and gently pat down the hair, which really helps, so no biggie at all really. :)

In 2019, I saw Kojun's Al Pacino sculpt with a fully flexible, realistically sculpted neck. Changed everything with the head.

Been waiting for that tech to surface too. Along with more realistic poseable fingers -- certainly wire technology and rubber technology can allow for this.
I remember that. Looked expensive. :LOL:

I don't like rooted hair, personally. I go to every length to avoid it. I know some people see added realism, and that's entirely fine. I just see dolls when I looked at rooted hair. I see art when I looked at sculpted hair. I'd rather collect art and not dolls.
Considering artists are the ones who began doing this incredible realistic rooted hair that is now being copied for mass production, I can't see how you can say it's not art. It takes a very specific skill to be able to achieve it and make it look right. Not to mention the "Artisan" sub-name HT has given rooted versions kinda blows that argument away. It just seems more like some insecurity to say one is art and one is a doll. Are 1:1 silicone busts with rooted hair dolls? Are statues with rooted hair like what Queen Studios, Blitzway and JND are doing now considered dolls? Are all the pieces in Madame Tussauds wax Museum dolls instead of lifelike replicas? Are the HT Chewbacca figures dolls for not being fully sculpted with visible joints all over the place?

Just seem like a terribly thin argument to say one is art and one is a doll when you consider there are plenty of high end fine art pieces that have real hair as part of their overall piece. Seems like some see rooted hair as somehow taking a shot to their masculinity, so they call it doll to make the other sculpted stuff they collect somehow more acceptable and a coping mechanism.

--"I don't collect dolls-I don't collect dolls-I don't collect dolls! I collect...art pieces! yea, that's it!"-- :lol

That said, I don't think everything needs to be rooted. I always like the option for both and will usually try to obtain both if at all possible. But, to say sculpted automatically makes on art and rooted automatically make the other a doll is just weak.

at the end of the day, though:
23a4ccf9-d60e-45da-80fd-b3509d75c20b_text.gif

Last edited:
Considering artists are the ones who began doing this incredible realistic rooted hair that is now being copied for mass production, I can't see how you can say it's not art. It takes a very specific skill to be able to achieve it and make it look right. Not to mention the "Artisan" sub-name HT has given rooted versions kinda blows that argument away. It just seems more like some insecurity to say one is art and one is a doll. Are 1:1 silicone busts with rooted hair dolls? Are statues with rooted hair like what Queen Studios, Blitzway and JND are doing now considered dolls? Are all the pieces in Madame Tussauds wax Museum dolls instead of lifelike replicas? Are the HT Chewbacca figures dolls for not being fully sculpted with visible joints all over the place?

Just seem like a terribly thin argument to say one is art and one is a doll when you consider there are plenty of high end fine art pieces that have real hair as part of their overall piece. Seems like some see rooted hair as somehow taking a shot to their masculinity, so they call it doll to make the other sculpted stuff they collect somehow more acceptable and a coping mechanism.

--"I don't collect dolls-I don't collect dolls-I don't collect dolls! I collect...art pieces! yea, that's it!"-- :lol

That said, I don't think everything needs to be rooted. I always like the option for both and will usually try to obtain both if at all possible. But, to say sculpted automatically makes on art and rooted automatically make the other a doll is just weak.

at the end of the day, though:
23a4ccf9-d60e-45da-80fd-b3509d75c20b_text.gif
I never shamed anyone who’s into rooted hair. I can’t get into it. I’ll never be into in. If that was all the hobby offered, I’d pick a new hobby. If people here like it, I’m happy they’re getting it. It doesn’t work for me.

Realistically done outfits, sculpt paint applications, seamless joints and Faux hair have been the major breakthroughs in elevating our hobby. I could also add LED lit accessories but while cool looking, they are not vital to the figure itself. To be honest, I usually prefer molded hair but as Asmus and InArt have proven, when faux hair/beard are done right, they bring the figure to a higher level of realism, which I have always considered an artform. The issue with faux hair is that it is currently expensive and time consuming to do right but I certainly welcome the technology (though not the added price...)

I'm good with both options, though it has been fun to dabble in this new elevated level of hair play we're currently experiencing.

However, in the end I think there should be an option for either choice with each figure, so one can order based on their own preference/bias.

Inart has shown they can make the sculpted look almost just as good with Aragorn, and now Hot Toys I'd say has a better sculpted AE Joker than their rooted one. (At least in proto)

I think inart's preorder method is best though - have a preorder window of a few days for anyone who wants the rooted; make an appropriate amount (and a few extra). Quality sculpted for everyone else.

Whereas HT is kind of missing the ball with their Anakin by only having a preset limited number. Either do a preorder window so everyone who wants one can get one, or have a sculpted alternative. We know they can deliver quality on that like with their Joker.

Basically in the end give all options to collectors. There are a few exceptions though - Gandalf is much better rooted; it's not even comparable to the older figures. And something like Cavill Superman or Ant-Man or what have you is probably better sculpted.

I do hope prices will come down as it becomes more standard though, but even now they're a steal compared to customs.

I never shamed anyone who’s into rooted hair. I can’t get into it. I’ll never be into in. If that was all the hobby offered, I’d pick a new hobby. If people here like it, I’m happy they’re getting it. It doesn’t work for me.
That’s totally fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with having preferences plus it’s your money so get what you want. And again, I have no issues with sculpted hair and am in no way saying everything needs to be rooted from now on. I do think we should have the option for both in most cases.

I was only questioning your argument of sculpted=art yet rooted=doll. My argument is that there is artistry and craftsmanship that goes into rooted hair at this level vs the decades old way of synthetic hair punched in a plastic cap like what HT and many other companies before and after have done.

Assuming Asmus does put out a Haldir (I think they’ve said he’s on hold), it will undoubtedly have at least some rooted hair if not all, so will that stop you from buying one considering it’s one of your most wanted figures but you want to avoid rooted hair? Does this mean you have dolls in your collection surrounded by art pieces or are they all art pieces regardless? Where does the line stop? Or does the goal post move based on character preference? If I remember correctly you said you were going to purchase the new Asmus Thranduil…that looks like an art piece to say the least based on what we’ve seen, but I guess it’s just a doll since it has rooted hair:dunno

Last edited:
That’s totally fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with having preferences plus it’s your money so get what you want. And again, I have no issues with sculpted hair and am in no way saying everything needs to be rooted from now on. I do think we should have the option for both in most cases.

I was only questioning your argument of sculpted=art yet rooted=doll. My argument is that there is artistry and craftsmanship that goes into rooted hair at this level vs the decades old way of synthetic hair punched in a plastic cap like what HT and many other companies before and after have done.

Assuming Asmus does put out a Haldir (I think they’ve said he’s on hold), it will undoubtedly have at least some rooted hair if not all, so will that stop you from buying one considering it’s one of your most wanted figures but you want to avoid rooted hair? Does this mean you have dolls in your collection surrounded by art pieces or are they all art pieces regardless? Where does the line stop? Or does the goal post move based on character preference? If I remember correctly you said you were going to purchase the new Asmus Thranduil…that looks like an art piece to say the least based on what we’ve seen, but I guess it’s just a doll since it has rooted hair:dunno
I'm not sure why you're so bothered by this. Again, I'm not disparaging anyone for liking rooted hair. I just think it looks cheaper to me. More like a toy and less like a high end collectible. Art is subjective and that's how I look at these figures.

I have a very few rooted figures in my collection - Galadriel, Arwen, Eomer, Gandalf the White (and those four are purely for my love of Tolkien), and then Gamora and Wonder Woman. That's it. For the last two, there's really no way to have a good sculpted figure and still be able to pose the figure, so I overlook it because I like the characters. Considering I have 107 sixth scale figures, it's a very small ratio.

In a perfect world for me - Haldir would come with the type of hybrid hair that the Helm's Deep Legolas and ThreeZero Sansa Stark have. Sculpted up top for accuracy and my personal preference, and the rooted part is minimal and allows for posing. And even then, it'd have to be a character that means something to me like Haldir to add it into the collection.

You guys live in saunas or something? The hair doesn't change overtime if left untouched.
In southeast asia, it can get really humid sometimes. I swear, my room can feel a bit like sauna 🤣

That's why these pleather material deteriorate real fast, even the fabric changed color (mostly yellowed). Let's see if rooted inart can be a problem in future..

I'm not sure why you're so bothered by this. Again, I'm not disparaging anyone for liking rooted hair. I just think it looks cheaper to me. More like a toy and less like a high end collectible. Art is subjective and that's how I look at these figures.

I have a very few rooted figures in my collection - Galadriel, Arwen, Eomer, Gandalf the White (and those four are purely for my love of Tolkien), and then Gamora and Wonder Woman. That's it. For the last two, there's really no way to have a good sculpted figure and still be able to pose the figure, so I overlook it because I like the characters. Considering I have 107 sixth scale figures, it's a very small ratio.

In a perfect world for me - Haldir would come with the type of hybrid hair that the Helm's Deep Legolas and ThreeZero Sansa Stark have. Sculpted up top for accuracy and my personal preference, and the rooted part is minimal and allows for posing. And even then, it'd have to be a character that means something to me like Haldir to add it into the collection.
I’m not bothered in the least to be honest :lol Like I said, I understand everyone has preferences, as they should. This place sucks when it’s just an echo chamber. I know you’re not disparaging anyone for liking rooted hair and I’m not disparaging you or anyone for liking either. I don’t care.

I was more or less trying to understand, and subsequently, debate your positioning that sculpted=art and rooted =doll, with rooted being the lesser in your position so much that you would get out of the hobby. That’s all. I was looking for some fun discourse to understand your position on why rooted is such a negative in your eyes that doesn’t seem to be elevating the realism in the hobby in the way that say I and some others on the board feel it does. I could continue with your comments from this post, but it seems more of “I like this and don’t like that” rather than more substance behind it like I originally thought (which it fine, that’s not a pot shot), so I won’t press on :duff

Last edited:
De
I get where you are going with this. Will it age like pleather? one day, after a few years of storage, you get your rooted hair figure out of the box and suddenly find it to be bald?
Pends on material. It its polyester or contains plastic with materials so thin and delicate they may even turn into powder i have few polyester bags given free by the time i used up 1 and bring out the new one it suffered tears similar to the used one. They become fragile even in storage. Maybe hair sprays can help keep the hair bonded together.

But then again many barbie dolls are close to 30-40 years old and rarely hear issues about them if taken care of. But barbie hairs feel thick.

Realistically done outfits, sculpt paint applications, seamless joints and Faux hair have been the major breakthroughs in elevating our hobby. I could also add LED lit accessories but while cool looking, they are not vital to the figure itself. To be honest, I usually prefer molded hair but as Asmus and InArt have proven, when faux hair/beard are done right, they bring the figure to a higher level of realism, which I have always considered an artform. The issue with faux hair is that it is currently expensive and time consuming to do right but I certainly welcome the technology (though not the added price...)
From what i statue customizers they use the old glue and patch method, which results look great but lacks durability. Rooted hairs that are secured under the sculpt will stay on better.

I see that it’s mentioned the wool might be dyed.

Will that lead to face staining?
It’s dyed before it’s placed on the head so no it won’t stain the face. It’s just like how if you were to dye your own hair. It doesn’t stain your face after the fact. Only if you got some dye on your skin during the process.

Back