Haired figure Trend..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s dyed before it’s placed on the head so no it won’t stain the face. It’s just like how if you were to dye your own hair. It doesn’t stain your face after the fact. Only if you got some dye on your skin during the process.
Check the marauder thread. Dyed hair will still stain the sculpt if coming in prolonged contact. They arent gonna use oven heated dyes so they will stain and leech easily. Even black fabrics stains the body.

Check the marauder thread. Dyed hair will still stain the sculpt if coming in prolonged contact. They arent gonna use oven heated dyes so they will stain and leech easily. Even black fabrics stains the body.
it might stain..but it's very manageable, meaning you can get rid of it with simple water. A lot easier than clothing dye stain

Cheaper 3rd party figure vs much more expensive licensed product though. While I’m not 100% , I would think the way InArt dyes the hair is different than how Premier Toys did it with the Marauder figure. Not to mention the Marauder hair looks to use the old synthetic Barbie type hair (idk for sure as I don’t own that figure) which would explain why the dye didn’t take vs the wool hair that’s being used on the InArt figures that takes to the dye much like human hair does. You don’t need oven heated dyes for them not to stain. If that was the case, most ppl who dye their hair at home would stain pillows. Like most things, it depends on the quality of the product being used and the how. With that Marauder figure being less than $200 vs a $500+ InArt, I doubt they’re using the same methods nor the same type of hair. I’d say you’re stretching a bit if you’re going to use that one Marauder figure having stain issues as a bases for all figures using rooted hair going forward.

I’ve had my InArt Joker for nearly 6months now and no staining on the face whatsoever on either headsculpt and that’s with wetting the hair to restyle it.

Color clothing/fabric doesn’t always stain a figure, including black. Fabric dyes only stain when they haven’t been treated in a color fixative after being dyed, which is why it doesn’t happen all the time with all fabric colors on every single figure. It’s really a case by case bases.

Last edited:
It’s dyed before it’s placed on the head so no it won’t stain the face. It’s just like how if you were to dye your own hair. It doesn’t stain your face after the fact. Only if you got some dye on your skin during the process.
I mean, it def will stain my pillows after the fact

Cheaper 3rd party figure vs much more expensive licensed product though. While I’m not 100% , I would think the way InArt dyes the hair is different than how Premier Toys did it with the Marauder figure. Not to mention the Marauder hair looks to use the old synthetic Barbie type hair (idk for sure as I don’t own that figure) which would explain why the dye didn’t take vs the wool hair that’s being used on the InArt figures that takes to the dye much like human hair does. You don’t need oven heated dyes for them not to stain. If that was the case, most ppl who dye their hair at home would stain pillows. Like most things, it depends on the quality of the product being used and the how. With that Marauder figure being less than $200 vs a $500+ InArt, I doubt they’re using the same methods nor the same type of hair. I’d say you’re stretching a bit if you’re going to use that one Marauder figure having stain issues as a bases for all figures using rooted hair going forward.

I’ve had my InArt Joker for nearly 6months now and no staining on the face whatsoever on either headsculpt and that’s with wetting the hair to restyle it.

Color clothing/fabric doesn’t always stain a figure, including black. Fabric dyes only stain when they haven’t been treated in a color fixative after being dyed, which is why it doesn’t happen all the time with all fabric colors on every single figure. It’s really a case by case bases.
When i say stain i mean after prolonged period of close contact. For real hair people do wash their hair after so that washes away some of the potential stainings i dont know if they work well on synthetic hair or not.

Even black hair will stain the sculpts if being kept tight to the face.

Of all the dolls that have black fabrics i have yet come across one that doesnt stain. Be it hot toys, 3A, enterbay etc. Again it has to be in contact for prolonged period of time. So i always wrap a plastic wrapper in between the body and black fabrics.

Colors would even leech to its surroundings for example enterbay michael jordans red on the jersey would leech into the white letterings on the wordings, sleeves and number turning them pink.

IMG_4765.jpeg

No quite Barbie level hair, but not far off.

Attachments

• IMG_4765.jpeg
    IMG_4765.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I don't like rooted hair, personally. I go to every length to avoid it. I know some people see added realism, and that's entirely fine. I just see dolls when I looked at rooted hair. I see art when I looked at sculpted hair. I'd rather collect art and not dolls.

To be fair, InArt is changing the game there, but I still bought their sculpted Aragorn, Joker and Harry Potter. I think the Anakin from Hot Toys doesn't look good in the slightest - to me, it's a doll.

I don't mind if companies want to start doing more rooted figures - especially if folks are enjoying it. I just hope they keep sculpted options, and that the sculpted hair continues to improve. Hot Toys and InArt really do wonderful jobs sculpting hair and if everyone can keep pushing that, I'll be very happy.

If everything became rooted only, I would definitely get out of the hobby and just enjoy what I have, regardless of how good rooted looks.
I hate to break it to you, but you are collecting dolls whether they come with rooted hair or sculpted hair.

I don't like rooted hair, personally. I go to every length to avoid it. I know some people see added realism, and that's entirely fine. I just see dolls when I looked at rooted hair. I see art when I looked at sculpted hair. I'd rather collect art and not dolls.

To be fair, InArt is changing the game there, but I still bought their sculpted Aragorn, Joker and Harry Potter. I think the Anakin from Hot Toys doesn't look good in the slightest - to me, it's a doll.

I don't mind if companies want to start doing more rooted figures - especially if folks are enjoying it. I just hope they keep sculpted options, and that the sculpted hair continues to improve. Hot Toys and InArt really do wonderful jobs sculpting hair and if everyone can keep pushing that, I'll be very happy.

If everything became rooted only, I would definitely get out of the hobby and just enjoy what I have, regardless of how good rooted looks.
Couldn't agree more and co-signed. Very happy I don't have to spend money on Raggedy Annie-kin.

I hate to break it to you, but you are collecting dolls whether they come with rooted hair or sculpted hair.
But not with flocked "lifelike" hair, that still makes it an Action Figure, not a doll right? I mean he's got a manly scar, fatigues, and kung-fu grip, that can't be a doll? ...RIGHT!?🤔

Next you'll call this a doll house.:cuss
0x1440.webp

Oh, ...wait :horror
90bf24d3-0006-4ba9-aca4-aaedf01a4164.2faf409ad8c53b2e7840005275344185.jpeg

:lol

Last edited:
We're here just over 20 years since high-end 1:6 figures really became a thing – I'm dating this back to when companies like Sideshow, Dragon, Medicom and Takara began to do something of a higher collector quality than the decades of old children's toys – and while various advances and innovations have propelled this art form into the future, I don't believe rooted hair is the thing that will bring us the most significant improvement in figures for the next 20 years. This is one of the first "innovations" that seems like an internal industry battle rather than something collectors really want.

Rooted hair has existed forever, going back to Barbies and other dolls, and has had some scattered and mixed use in high-end figures - exclusively female character figures in recent years. Few of those figures really wowed us for their rooted hair, but many of those figures did become disappointing, frustrating and downright problematic leaving us often desirous for a sculpted alternative. InArt did a great job with their Joker and based upon their innovation I'm confident the hair won't be a longterm problem. That's where it needs to ends - with the occasional deluxe artisan project where the hairstyle of the character was important and may be worth a a finely crafted rooted treatment, but beyond that we don't need a trend, industry battle, or a forced purchase (forced in the sense that the manufacturer makes us believe we want and need this).

I love the rooted hair trend and I hope it expands. My figures are in cabinets or stay in boxes and the hair doesn't change and I don't handle it.

I wish they had used rooted hair with the recent Witcher figure- he looks amazing except for his very weird looking plastic hair and I wish there was something I could do about it other than hiding it under a hood.

As far as I can tell, most of the objections to rooted hair is because it makes some male collectors feel like they are collecting "dolls" - and if the hair is plastic- they are still manley action figures. This argument is... um. Yeah.

I think the majority of figures don't need rooted hair. Unless it can be done to look great consistently. Long hair I do think benefits from rooted hair, but again done well. Looking at the Harry figure if it comes out like the proto it will be fantastic. The ability to change the hair, even slightly, opens the door for endless display options.

Rooted hair has existed forever, going back to Barbies and other dolls, and has had some scattered and mixed use in high-end figures - exclusively female character figures in recent years. Few of those figures really wowed us for their rooted hair, but many of those figures did become disappointing, frustrating and downright problematic leaving us often desirous for a sculpted alternative.
I agree, previous figures that had rooted hair were fairly disappointing, but that's purely b/c it was using the old, outdated method of punching the synthetic hair into a soft vinyl cap that's then glued to the scalp of the headsculpt. That method hasn't changed really at all for decades. More refined maybe, but still not realistic especially for the type of higher end collectibles we here collect. Which is why many would've preferred sculpted hair compared to what was being offered.

Totally different methods being used now from InArt and subsequently, HT that is more like what the customizers have been doing for the last couple of years by gluing the hair directly on the head with the hairline transitioning from the sculpted part into the rooted part, rather than a hard stop like before. You get a more seamless look now than you used to which I would say is fairly innovative on a mass production scale vs a small customizing scale that would cost you no less than $300 just for the rooting itself.

I'd say the WW84 figures area good example - The sculpted head was previously viewed as the lesser version compared to the rooted Golden armor version until both were released. Now, the sculpted hair version is the one most seem to be happy with over the GA version mostly b/c of how the old rooted hair turned out. However, the WB100 version that utilizes the Golden Armor head but with the new hair methodology has a decent amount feeling that is now the superior version. Not saying everyone, but there are some that have switched.

I love the rooted hair trend and I hope it expands. My figures are in cabinets or stay in boxes and the hair doesn't change and I don't handle it.

I wish they had used rooted hair with the recent Witcher figure- he looks amazing except for his very weird looking plastic hair and I wish there was something I could do about it other than hiding it under a hood.

As far as I can tell, most of the objections to rooted hair is because it makes some male collectors feel like they are collecting "dolls" - and if the hair is plastic- they are still manly action figures. This argument is... um. Yeah.
That's what it seems like to me as well. Sure, there are some who simply prefer sculpted all around, and I think that's totally fine. But the "doll" argument is very thin and weak.

I agree, previous figures that had rooted hair were fairly disappointing, but that's purely b/c it was using the old, outdated method of punching the synthetic hair into a soft vinyl cap that's then glued to the scalp of the headsculpt. That method hasn't changed really at all for decades. More refined maybe, but still not realistic especially for the type of higher end collectibles we here collect. Which is why many would've preferred sculpted hair compared to what was being offered.

Totally different methods being used now from InArt and subsequently, HT that is more like what the customizers have been doing for the last couple of years by gluing the hair directly on the head with the hairline transitioning from the sculpted part into the rooted part, rather than a hard stop like before. You get a more seamless look now than you used to which I would say is fairly innovative on a mass production scale vs a small customizing scale that would cost you no less than $300 just for the rooting itself.

I'd say the WW84 figures area good example - The sculpted head was previously viewed as the lesser version compared to the rooted Golden armor version until both were released. Now, the sculpted hair version is the one most seem to be happy with over the GA version mostly b/c of how the old rooted hair turned out. However, the WB100 version that utilizes the Golden Armor head but with the new hair methodology has a decent amount feeling that is now the superior version. Not saying everyone, but there are some that have switched.

That's what it seems like to me as well. Sure, there are some who simply prefer sculpted all around, and I think that's totally fine. But the "doll" argument is very thin and weak.
I thought InArt killed it with the faux-rooted hair. I didn't expect it to be what it was and found myself glad that I took the gamble on it over the sculpted hair. I'm also glad and hopeful that they use the same technique for other figures, like Aragorn which will completely smash if it's this kind of treatment.

I just don't think this "trend" of rooted – if there really is a trend at all – needs to happen. Keep the faux-rooted to special extremely high-end projects and leave the rest to sculpted. I don't agree that the old method is outdated, because it's actually a standard method that many figure makers will still use. It's there because it works within a certain cost structure. Most average figures can't afford to be priced in a rooted hair category of InArt's calibre, so for under $300 we had figures like Baby Doll, Selina, Wonder Woman, Gamora, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch all suffering from mass-production consumer-grade rooted methods rather than the art that InArt produced. You've probably noticed that most of the new versions of the characters/figures I mentioned are now being done as sculpted hair. Hot Toys seemed to understand where they failed. I just got the new WandaVision Scarlet Witch and the sculpted hair on it is so much better than what they did with previous versions. It's not perfect, but it left nothing more to be desired that rooted could beat.

We're here just over 20 years since high-end 1:6 figures really became a thing – I'm dating this back to when companies like Sideshow, Dragon, Medicom and Takara began to do something of a higher collector quality than the decades of old children's toys – and while various advances and innovations have propelled this art form into the future, I don't believe rooted hair is the thing that will bring us the most significant improvement in figures for the next 20 years. This is one of the first "innovations" that seems like an internal industry battle rather than something collectors really want.

Rooted hair has existed forever, going back to Barbies and other dolls, and has had some scattered and mixed use in high-end figures - exclusively female character figures in recent years. Few of those figures really wowed us for their rooted hair, but many of those figures did become disappointing, frustrating and downright problematic leaving us often desirous for a sculpted alternative. InArt did a great job with their Joker and based upon their innovation I'm confident the hair won't be a longterm problem. That's where it needs to ends - with the occasional deluxe artisan project where the hairstyle of the character was important and may be worth a a finely crafted rooted treatment, but beyond that we don't need a trend, industry battle, or a forced purchase (forced in the sense that the manufacturer makes us believe we want and need this).
Same like turbo. They existed for decades but recently became the norm as regulations tightens and technology advance.

Yes i agree with you, there are more innovative stuffs in dolls than just rooted hair. For example seamless neck and wrist, those are the real game changers.

Wigs existed for centuries. You dont need to punch them in or glue them onto the headsculpt you just need to make a decent wig in 1/6 before gluing them onto the head and style them. Punching isnt realistic as the 1/6 follicles gaps are much bigger than 1/1 scale.

I thought InArt killed it with the faux-rooted hair. I didn't expect it to be what it was and found myself glad that I took the gamble on it over the sculpted hair. I'm also glad and hopeful that they use the same technique for other figures, like Aragorn which will completely smash if it's this kind of treatment.

I just don't think this "trend" of rooted – if there really is a trend at all – needs to happen. Keep the faux-rooted to special extremely high-end projects and leave the rest to sculpted. I don't agree that the old method is outdated, because it's actually a standard method that many figure makers will still use. It's there because it works within a certain cost structure. Most average figures can't afford to be priced in a rooted hair category of InArt's calibre, so for under $300 we had figures like Baby Doll, Selina, Wonder Woman, Gamora, Black Widow and Scarlet Witch all suffering from mass-production consumer-grade rooted methods rather than the art that InArt produced. You've probably noticed that most of the new versions of the characters/figures I mentioned are now being done as sculpted hair. Hot Toys seemed to understand where they failed. I just got the new WandaVision Scarlet Witch and the sculpted hair on it is so much better than what they did with previous versions. It's not perfect, but it left nothing more to be desired that rooted could beat.
Depends you want your dolls to look more like a statue or miniaturized version of the real object

Wigs existed for centuries. You dont need to punch them in or glue them onto the headsculpt you just need to make a decent wig in 1/6 before gluing them onto the head and style them. Punching isnt realistic as the 1/6 follicles gaps are much bigger than 1/1 scale.
Except punching the hair into a scalp cap to create a “wig” is how it’s been done for rooted hair in this hobby for decades as well as regular dolls :huh All the HT Black Widow figures before the recent ones from the solo movie, Scarlet Witch before WandaVision, Wonder Woman with the exception of the WB100 and regular armor ‘84, pretty much every Phicen/TBLeague female figure with rooted hair, all the “wigs” that Kumik makes. That’s how it’s been done. The synthetic hair is punched into a scalp cap to create the wig that is then glued onto the rest of the headsculpt. There are also cases where the entire head was made of soft plastic vinyl type material and the hair was punched into that.

Real wigs are typically a lace cap with small groups of hair knotted or weaved in starting from the back with individual hairs done at the front to create a more realistic hairline. Oddly enough, that’s a very similar approach to what many custom artists do when gluing the hair to a bald headsculpt, so why go through the trouble of doing the weave “wig” when at this scale the differences would be negligible.

The current method that custom artists have been doing for the last couple of years and now InArt and HT have copied for mass production are the best methods at the moment.

Even black hair will stain the sculpts if being kept tight to the face.
What black haired figures with rooted hair do you have that are staining the headsculpts 🤔 I’ve had a black kumik wig on a custom Wonder Woman figure for at least 3 years and it hasn’t stained the face or body. Are you talking about black sculpted hair staining a figures face?
Of all the dolls that have black fabrics i have yet come across one that doesnt stain. Be it hot toys, 3A, enterbay etc. Again it has to be in contact for prolonged period of time. So i always wrap a plastic wrapper in between the body and black fabrics.
Again doesn’t happen with every figure. Sorry that it seems to happen with whatever you’re buying, but I have and had numerous figures in black and other colors for that matter that never stained the body or leeched onto surrounding colors. That’s why I said, it’s case by case. Not saying it doesn’t happen as I know it does, but just b/c it’s happened on the figures you’ve bought, doesn’t mean it happens to EVERY figure. Sure I’ve had figures that have staining issues like Hot Toys Winter Soldier figures (TWS and CW versions) or Sideshow v1 Harley Quinn for example, but I’ve also had figures specifically in all black that have never stained like Hot Toys Kevin Flynn that I’ve had in the black clothes since I got him, Hot Toys Ichabod Crane whose shirt is the only clothing item that isn’t black, Sideshow v2 Joker which has a black shirt, DiD Chicago Gangster who has a black pinstriped suit, black overcoat and black hat and no staining issues. I could go on, but there are other numerous examples to be had of figures that don’t have staining issues even if wearing black.

Colors would even leech to its surroundings for example enterbay michael jordans red on the jersey would leech into the white letterings on the wordings, sleeves and number turning them pink.
Again, it has to do with the quality of the clothes and the dying process itself. I’ve dyed tons of 1/6 clothing myself and have never had any staining or color bleeding/leeching problems. And, as we know from HT Star Wars cloaks, sometimes there’s just too much dye in the fabric and needs to be hand washed to release the excess dye to prevent any staining. I’ve washed all my jedi cloaks and have never had any staining issues with them. Sorry if it’s happening to your figures, but it’s simply not happening on the very figure ever made.

Back