Avengers: Age of Ultron (May 1st, 2015)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SPOILER FREE REVIEW

The biggest issue I have with the film is... the tone is so different from the first one.
Joss Whedon said he wanted to 'create The Avengers movie he wanted to make from the beginning'.
This is a double edged sword. On one hand, he was more passionate about it. But on the other, it moves
away from the first film... the film we fell in love with. It feels almost like a different director helmed the project.

It feels darker. More desperate. More... real. The original had a Saturday morning cartoon vibe to it. It was a superhero
film through and through. This feels like a disaster movie. The villain isn't lovable. The heroes aren't unbeatable. The ending
is bittersweet. It's less like Avengers 2 and more like a reboot. The shift in tone was quite overwhelming for me personally.

Vision was glorious though. Easily one of the highlights, if not the best part.

All in all... I liked it. Wasn't as good as the first film, but they're still my Avengers.
And, hey, if nothing more... Civil War might possibly be the Avengers 2 we(I) were expecting.
8/10

SPOILER FREE REVIEW

The biggest issue I have with the film is... the tone is so different from the first one.
Joss Whedon said he wanted to 'create The Avengers movie he wanted to make from the beginning'.
This is a double edged sword. On one hand, he was more passionate about it. But on the other, it moves
away from the first film... the film we fell in love with. It feels almost like a different director helmed the project.

It feels darker. More desperate. More... real. The original had a Saturday morning cartoon vibe to it. It was a superhero
film through and through. This feels like a disaster movie. The villain isn't lovable. The heroes aren't unbeatable. The ending
is bittersweet. It's less like Avengers 2 and more like a reboot. The shift in tone was quite overwhelming for me personally.

All in all... I liked it. Wasn't as good as the first film, but they're still my Avengers.
And, hey, if nothing more... Civil War might possibly be the Avengers 2 we(I) were expecting.
8/10

so it kind of sounds like if you hated Avengers 1 you might love the second one...
that's good news lol

SPOILER FREE REVIEW

As for the tone, this HAD TO BE a different movie.
It's not the same movie. The team was together at the end of the first one. This is a movie about a team who know each other's strengths and weaknesses and they compliment each other.

I'd say it's more accurate to say that from the minute the credits roll, it feels like you are watching Avengers 3. Because they hit the ground running, you feel like you are coming in at the final chapter of a different story.
There's no buildup at the beginning.

Yeah. A real treat. He steals the show in every scene he's in.

so it kind of sounds like if you hated Avengers 1 you might love the second one...
that's good news lol

I'd say if you liked Avengers Assemble, but felt it was lacking a certain something, this is the movie that removes all doubts that they KNOW what they're doing with Avengers.

Yea, that review actually made me excited to see this :lol

Get even more excited.
Avengers: Age Of Awesome!

I was seeing some of the fallout yesterday and it was mostly girls with avatars of Evans shirtless. I think I saw like, 2-3 guys and hundreds of women having panic attacks over it.

Someone made a collage of the posts and I didn't see any guys (Unless guys were pretending to be girls)

There was a huge thread on livejournal as well, more avatars of the Avengers guys Shirtless lol. it looked like all of them were women. :dunno

I kept hearing how their "Fav Husband" was "problematic" fav, the word fav kept showing up on those posts (Specially on Tumblr) , Fav and husband

I'm 27 years old and I feel like a geriatric. These people have folders of their 'favs' (I'm assuming 'favourites'), and if they say or do anything that isn't 100% in lockstep with their worldviews they get moved to the 'problematic' folder, is that it?

And to think he wants to direct a Batman movie now... :horror tumblrinas better keep him the hell away from Batman.

I'm hoping after Suicide Squad, David Ayer becomes DC's answer to the Russo Bros. I think he'd make an amazing Batman movie given the chance, Harsh Times and Fury were both great films.

I saw this last night, it was really good! I had a lot of fun!

I'd give it an 8/10 at the moment, a second viewing may change that. However, in terms of pure entertainment and the 'feel good' factor you get from watching movies, it's a 10/10 easily.

Things I really liked;

Spoiler Spoiler:

Overall a fun movie, which I'm sure everyone will enjoy!

Last edited:
saw it last night. brace yourselves marvel fans, you might not like what i have to say... in fact i'm fully expecting some of you to blast me for my opinion but i think when the hype has eventually settled more people will come around. this sequel is a far cry from part 1. it's overstuffed with too many characters and subplots that are used to set up future events rather than to tell one clear story, and features a villain that spends almost the entire movie running away from our heroes. it ends up feeling unfocused and far less effortless and joyful than the first one. that's the bad news.

the good news is, we still get loads of kick-ass action sequences, funny jokes and touching character moments. for the most part i enjoyed the film but the issues were glaring enough to prevent it from being an outright winner. i'll still qualify this as a "good" movie with no doubt, but neither is it marvel at its very best.

Watched it and totally love it.

CG fight scenes aside, I like the down-to-earth human stories told about this bunch of super humans.

The only downside is too many heroes, too little time to fully develop the characters.

Re: Renner & Evans, lol, seriously? We are messed up.
Actually when I read comics, I knew Black Widow with Daredevil & Ironman. AoU was unexpected. Has that happened before?
Oh and where was Mockingbird? I was so sure it was building up to that.

Anyway, that hammer moment, I had it wrong, it wasn't during the siege of Avengers Mansion (my memory fades but I think it musta been mixed up with Hercules beaten to a pulp), it was Thor #390 (yeah I had to look it up). I was going no, no, no please don't coz that needs to be built up over several movies...
what happened made it even better! I was grinning from ear to ear with all those touches.

Also think this is like a prelude to the Inhumans...

While reviews aren't everything... the Rotten Tomatoes score is a little disheartening.

Saw it again, and it's still super fun on repeated viewings. Each time I've seen it it's been sold out, and each crowd was really into it.

With that said, I'm not sure I dig Ultron. He's got personality, sure, but in the end he was kind of a pushover. And it kind of feels like Whedon tried too hard to make him funny. However, I still love the movie and I think I might actually put it ahead of the first one in terms of enjoyment.

I was somewhat worn out after seeing the first one 3 times in theatres, but not so with this one.

saw it last night. brace yourselves marvel fans, you might not like what i have to say... in fact i'm fully expecting some of you to blast me for my opinion but i think when the hype has eventually settled more people will come around. this sequel is a far cry from part 1. it's overstuffed with too many characters and subplots that are used to set up future events rather than to tell one clear story, and features a villain that spends almost the entire movie running away from our heroes. it ends up feeling unfocused and far less effortless and joyful than the first one. that's the bad news.

the good news is, we still get loads of kick-ass action sequences, funny jokes and touching character moments. for the most part i enjoyed the film but the issues were glaring enough to prevent it from being an outright winner. i'll still qualify this as a "good" movie with no doubt, but neither is it marvel at its very best.

It's definitely busy in terms of characters and sub-plots, but it felt very fluid to me. I can absolutely see how that would be a negative for some people, though. Also, I completely agree about Ultron.

While reviews aren't everything... the Rotten Tomatoes score is a little disheartening.

Screw it. Seriously just screw it.

Back in the 70's and 80's when the internet wasn't around, people would see movies and enjoy them based on their own merit. They had no Tomato Meter or IMDB full of ridiculous discussion to cloud their judgement beforehand. Just see the movie and enjoy it for what it is. Or not enjoy it for what it is, if that's genuinely how you feel.

Having re-read this, it looks like I'm attacking you. I'm not haha :wink1: I'm just very disillusioned with the whole movie review business and the online cinematic community in general.

Ticket prices are going up, so it's always handy to take a look at reviews before wasting your hard earned.

Cheaper to wait and buy the blu nowadays.

Back in the 70's and 80's when the internet wasn't around, people would see movies and enjoy them based on their own merit. They had no Tomato Meter or IMDB full of ridiculous discussion to cloud their judgement beforehand. Just see the movie and enjoy it for what it is. Or not enjoy it for what it is, if that's genuinely how you feel.

Having re-read this, it looks like I'm attacking you. I'm not haha :wink1: I'm just very disillusioned with the whole movie review business and the online cinematic community in general.

Let's not forget the other end of that spectrum, so-called movie critics who are nothing but glorified bloggers to whom every movie is 'awesome'.

The list of critics I feel I can actually trust the opinions of at this point is very, very short.

well, they did have these:

5V4Or6y.jpg

cRNo0BT.jpg

just saying.....:dunno the reviews have always been there, now you get nationwide reviews instead of just local reviews.

Let's not forget the other end of that spectrum, so-called movie critics who are nothing but glorified bloggers to whom every movie is 'awesome'.

The list of critics I feel I can actually trust the opinions of at this point is very, very short.

Absolutely :) my point was trying to cover both sides of the coin.

They don't sway my opinion or enjoyment... but I fear whether reception will impact the MCU.
Reception and Box Office, that is. Should be fine on the Box Office side of things. :lol

Back