Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been waiting for these guys FOREVER! I have the DID Frodo and Sam (I know, I know) and the Sideshow Frodo and Sam, but Pippin and Merry have always been my favorite hobbits going back to when I first read the books years and years before the films came out.

The Pippin sculpt is fantastic, I wouldn't change a thing, but looking at screencaps from the films, I think Merry needs more chin -- he should really have a lantern jaw -- and his eyes need to be a little longer which would help him look less, I don't know, sullen or something.

I mean, I'll get them both regardless, but it would be awesome if the Merry sculpt was perfect as the Pippin sculpt already is.

I can not find any fault in these sculpts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The likeness for Pippin there is virtually perfect :clap Well done.

Merry is good, but I think the nose and mouth aren't wide enough.

The clothing looks good but Pippin's scarf may be a little long at the moment. I can't really tell from the pics.

The picture to the right is the actual scarf used in filming. Not an Asmus Prototype.

As for the headsculpts, the 3D workups looks great. If the HS and the clothes are as detailed as what you have shown, I will happily toss my Home-made Hobbits aside.

Great work Asmus!
The renders of the sculpts look very good,
I wasn't really thinking on buying these two, but they are starting to look quite tempting...

The picture to the right is the actual scarf used in filming. Not an Asmus Prototype.

As for the headsculpts, the 3D workups looks great. If the HS and the clothes are as detailed as what you have shown, I will happily toss my Home-made Hobbits aside.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :(

The likeness for Pippin there is virtually perfect :clap Well done.

Merry is good, but I think the nose and mouth aren't wide enough.

The clothing looks good but Pippin's scarf may be a little long at the moment. I can't really tell from the pics.

Those sculpts are awesome! Very well done.

Clothing I would say its about 80%?

Some color is not right, length of the pants and fitness of the jacket all needs work,
so thats keep talking about it

View attachment 211091

This is a great opportunity to discuss the costume. Do you guys think you'll be able to get closer to this?:

Meriodoc Vest.jpg

Also, can we take a moment to clear up an important question...are you guys planning on making Frodo and Sam?????

They'll make Frodo and Sam if they're making Merry and Pippin. It'd be insane to do all that R&D on the hobbit bodies and not even do all the major hobbit characters.

As for the body size,
it is currently at 21cm,
which is about 8.26".

In to 1:1, it would make it
126 cm tall. (4.13")

I was going to comment that this was a little too tall due to a scene in The Two Towers Extended Edition where Pippin tells Merry that he is 3' 6" (~107 cm), but going off Weta's own chart for The Hobbit characters it would seem that this size is just about perfect.

Hobbit and Dwarf chart.jpg

For the Dwarves, the same type of body used for ThreeZero's Tyrion Lannister ought to work. Peter Dinklage is 4' 5" (135 cm), which puts him at the shorter end of the spectrum for Thorin's Company. The good news is that only Dwalin would require muscle arms. All the others (and Gimli) could get some of their broader build from their armor and thick clothing.

I really like both 3D renders. The likenesses jump right out. It's the first Pippen I've seen that looks stupid enough; that's very hard to capture. I'm not seeing the concern over the Merry likeness -- perhaps those who do can post reference photos that show what they're saying.

:)

Well done well done.

That's Gandalf the grey and these pair I will be buying for sure. :)

Just waiting on legolas, boromir, gimli and the other hobbits and am a happy chappy

awesome! cant wait to see the sculpt

im a newbie here and i have to say im very impressed with the CRM by Asmus. Bought my morgul lord not long ago, POed saruman and MOS, going to get a nazgul & steed next for christmas. Will continue to support good company like this!

awesome! cant wait to see the sculpt

im a newbie here and i have to say im very impressed with the CRM by Asmus. Bought my morgul lord not long ago, POed saruman and MOS, going to get a nazgul & steed next for christmas. Will continue to support good company like this!

Thank you,
and if you do have any suggestion or ideas,
or following the latest sneak peaks
this is the place to be~

hi guys,

Just got back from Singapore yesterday
Its wonderful to see you guys already got busy~ It is too awsome to have ya all here~

Firstly, what you see in the show is actually our first prototype, beta test of both heads and clothing, and workshop cast body,
so NOTHING is final, nor decided~! (this is important, because final decision will be concluded right in this thread~)

Only thing for sure is that we like the HS, it has great likeness! Now we just touch on the details,
and it should be ready to go.

View attachment 211087

View attachment 211089
View attachment 211090
View attachment 211088

How'd I miss these? Looks great!

Those CAD drawings of the sculpts are very good. My only wish would be that they would have a little more character. For example, Pippen with perhaps a more mischievous expression and Merry with a less angry looking expression. Perhaps with a slight surprised look.

Those CAD drawings of the sculpts are very good. My only wish would be that they would have a little more character. For example, Pippen with perhaps a more mischievous expression and Merry with a less angry looking expression. Perhaps with a slight surprised look.

Yeah, that's what I said when these first came out. They need a bit more innocence in them IMO. But the likenesses are fantastic.

Happy Holidays,
As the fellowship is bonding, here are the final look of Merry and Pippin.

We are testing a new approach with M&P,
what you see in the photo is actually the final sample of mass production,
it means, this is a factory made sample,
it is already mold and cast in PVC.
so it is very unlikely to change at the end products.

Its risky for structure issues (if there is, we need to re-make the mold)
good thing is, no worry about losing anything from photo to actual products.

Also the release date can be shorten to about 1 months from photo to ship.

Anyway, as always, debuted is here,
so let me know if you have any thoughts.

thank you

G001.jpg
G003.jpg
G007.jpg
M001.jpg

Very determined looking Merry. But I like the sculpts.

One small outfit change suggestion that quickly caught my eye: I don't like the cinched cuff on the jacket sleeves near the wrist. Just leave that off the final.

George: being as small as Hobbits are, would these be sold as a set or separate?

I like Pippin and everything but Merry's head, which I still think looks a bit grumpy. A more youthful naive look would be better IMO, or even just with a slightly less turned down mouth. But if they look that good after production, then they are certain purchases for me.

And Wor's right, the cuffs shouldn't be quite like that. And there should be five buttons on Merry's waistcoat, not three.

Back