Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill voice another opinion about the size of the hobbits. I've voiced this opinion before and I'll voice it again. I think the size of the hobbits here is just fine. I think we will see the same body used for the dwarves that is used for the hobbits due to cost constraints. I just can't see them spending thousands of dollars on 2 different sized bodies that at this scale will be very close to each other. They may surprise me and do it, but it would be fine if they chose not to.

Ill voice another opinion about the size of the hobbits. I've voiced this opinion before and I'll voice it again. I think the size of the hobbits here is just fine. I think we will see the same body used for the dwarves that is used for the hobbits due to cost constraints. I just can't see them spending thousands of dollars on 2 different sized bodies that at this scale will be very close to each other. They may surprise me and do it, but it would be fine if they chose not to.

You may very well be right. It's hard for many of the figures across the board (not just Lord of the Rings but all 1/6 scale collections) to be in scale with each other. The hobbits, dwarves, elves, and men are all different in size to each other, even among their own kind. At the end of the day we're lucky if we get close. Even though it has been discussed with and responded to by Asmus, it's hard to accomplish things like having 1/6 Saruman standing noticeably taller next to Gandalf.

If by using the same body means we'd get both Hobbits and Dwarves, then I'd be happy with them being the same size.

I'm curious how these compare to Sideshow's Frodo and Sam. Using Thranduil as a reference, the size/scaling of Merry and Pippin appear to be generally consistent with the existing Sideshow hobbits.

I recall Asmus saying that it didn't plan to redo figures that had already been released by Sideshow; Asmus would just finish off the rest of the Fellowship and not redo all of them or at least not give priority to remaking the whole Fellowship. While that plan seems to be mostly void with the development of Gandalf the Grey, Aragorn and Legolas, it seems sensible that any new hobbits from Asmus would complement what's already been released if Asmus is indeed not remaking the whole Fellowship.

That said, I hope we get a new Frodo and a new Sam because I think there's room to improve upon all of Sideshow's LOTR figures. And if the hobbits end up being the same size as the dwarves, I can live with that.

pippen looks great. nice likeness.

merry can sometimes do that serious/angry face in the film, so i can see the reference they have used, but he prob looks a little too angry.

Yeah merry has a naturally angry looking face, but this sculpt may be just a bit TOO angry. Doesn't mean they have to scrap the headsculpt though, just use it for an armored Rohan Merry

Though I don't care for the expression much, the Merry sculpt, IMO, is better than the Pippin. The hair is off a bit on both too. These are probably early anyway.

I'm very happy with both of them so far. :clap

It is early days yet and both will surely be nipped tucked a fair bit going forward. So I'm not overly fussed about the fabric colors or fine details at this point. I'm sure those things are being worked on and aren't in stone yet.

What I'm most pleased with is the body design.

I really like the fully sculpted ankles/feet and the slimmer build. Two very nice upgrades from the Sideshow hobbit bodies which had horribly ugly feet and were really barrel-chested/big-headed. The overall proportions are great on these, and they don't look too bulky even with their various layers of costume. Very nice work. :clap

I'm also going to be pretty forgiving when it comes to their height. These figures may not be 100% accurate, but the problem with the hobbit scale is that it's kind of all over the place in the movies. There are a number of "money" shots where they did full digital effects shots or forced perspective shots or shots with size doubles, but in a lot of other shots they just had the hobbit actors kneeling or the human actors standing on boxes. The quick and cheap version! So the proportions and scale often change from shot to shot. So it's okay with me if they're closer to four-foot-six than three-foot-six. :lol

All in all, I want to thank Asmus for making these and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here! Great work, guys!

Pippin looks great... Merry is not quite as nice, but still recognizable.

Certainly a step up from the customs many of us worked on; and will probably cost less. I think I put nearly $400 into the pair I assembled :lol

I'm glad that they are making Hobbits. The feet in particular look amazing.

I don't think I would replace my custom Pip & Merry just yet, though. Pix and his Mother-in-law did an excellent job with the tailoring and the custom headsculpts are still hard to beat. (even though mine "still" remain unpainted...) :monkey2

I love the sculpted feet and Pippin's scarf.

I think the head sculpts are laughably bad.

F&F you need to get those head sculpts to Skiman pronto! :lol

Edit: Just realized the closeup scarf pic posted up thread is the 1:1 scarf. Not a part of this figure. I haz sad. :monkey2

Pippin looks great... Merry is not quite as nice, but still recognizable.

Certainly a step up from the customs many of us worked on; and will probably cost less. I think I put nearly $400 into the pair I assembled :lol

Lol I still have a pair of unpainted heads too. I couldn't decide which ones to get so I forked out for both. While I understand Sideshow made a business decision when they bailed on the line and at the time it probably was the right choice for them but I still am a little bitter that we had to resort to customs to finish the fellowship. I wonder how much Sideshow spent on developing that hobbit body. Have they ever been able to use it for any other release?

I love the sculpted feet and Pippin's scarf.

I think the head sculpts are laughably bad.

F&F you need to get those head sculpts to Skiman pronto! :lol

Edit: Just realized the closeup scarf pic posted up thread is the 1:1 scarf. Not a part of this figure. I haz sad. :monkey2

I know, I know... I love your work on the outfits and having those gray resin noggins doesn't do them justice. That will be my next project for sure! :duff

I know, I know... I love your work on the outfits and having those gray resin noggins doesn't do them justice. That will be my next project for sure! :duff

Yeah pix did a fantastic job and I still proudly display my set but if Asmus keeps getting better than I should end up being able to mix and match for a great end pair of hobbits.

hi guys,

Just got back from Singapore yesterday
Its wonderful to see you guys already got busy~ It is too awsome to have ya all here~

Firstly, what you see in the show is actually our first prototype, beta test of both heads and clothing, and workshop cast body,
so NOTHING is final, nor decided~! (this is important, because final decision will be concluded right in this thread~)

Only thing for sure is that we like the HS, it has great likeness! Now we just touch on the details,
and it should be ready to go.

pip1.jpg

m1.jpg
m2.jpg
pip2.jpg

Clothing I would say its about 80%?

Some color is not right, length of the pants and fitness of the jacket all needs work,
so thats keep talking about it

?? Meriadoc 04.jpg

????.jpg

As for the body size,
it is currently at 21cm,
which is about 8.26".

In to 1:1, it would make it
126 cm tall. (4.13")

The likeness for Pippin there is virtually perfect :clap Well done.

Merry is good, but I think the nose and mouth aren't wide enough.

The clothing looks good but Pippin's scarf may be a little long at the moment. I can't really tell from the pics.

Back