Asmus Toys: Merry and Pippin Lord of the Rings 1/6 Scale Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pippin's hair seems to be much lighter...and definitely puffier. I really wanthope asmus do some more tweaking with them, since they have proven to be good listeners and clearly have the ability to make something amazing in the end

Im walking against thd crowd here, but i love the new pippin, but merry not nearly as much. Getting both anyway as my standard merry head is my least fav of the whole line

Pippin looks high as a kite on good Longbottom pipe weed. Merry looks much better on the new one as he doesn't have such a stern expression. The SDCC reveal had very temp paint work on them so I expect good things when they are done all proper.

I was actually pretty satisfied with the original versions, it was just the skin tone that was off. Was also wondering about rooted hair. This is something that has never really been seriously considered for any of the hobbits. Is this too difficult to pull off?

The thing is that Pippin's expression, while the 3D render was good, doesn't fit with the rest of the group. They all look pretty worried or serious and he looks like he just cracked a joke. I really hope they do some alteration on all 4 sculpts. They did it perfectly with Boromir, Legolas and Aragorn.

The thing is that Pippin's expression, while the 3D render was good, doesn't fit with the rest of the group. They all look pretty worried or serious and he looks like he just cracked a joke. I really hope they do some alteration on all 4 sculpts. They did it perfectly with Boromir, Legolas and Aragorn.

Yeah , when I first saw this Pippin, I thought it was a joke. I don't get it. I actually didn't have a problem with the original release. It's not perfect, but still a nice figure. This one looks like a step back, IMO.

M&P.jpg

I think second Merry sculpt beats he first while the first Pippin sculpt beats the second. The expression is just too much. Maybe dialed down a bit it'd work, but, as was mentioned already, it doesn't fit in with the rest.

I wonder if Asmus could also offer the first Pippin head repainted without all the rosy sunburn? They already have the mold tooling, so selling the original head repainted doesn't seem like it would be a huge problem?

New sculpts are good, for all 4 hobbits, but what was presented on Comic Con was not with a good paint. And they admit to address that. I am happy with it.

Oh man... why not rooted hair????
We have Gimli, Boromir and Aragorn, all rooted. Also Sam and Frodo, right...? Not right...?
If all this is correct, Asmus should really rethink what they are doing, be coherent with themselves... Sculpted Legolas is OK by now, until some fan prove them wrong about rooted hair feasibility, but those hobbits are no problem for rooted... Come on...!! Give us ultimate character representations, Asmus!! No new heads further down the road!!! (but Legolas, that is)

Regards,
m.

And that Joker smile on Pippin is just out of place....
Most of the movies, these guys face difficult situations... Not a grin in sight!
Come on Asmus.... Reflect and change course!!
m.

Personally I disagree, with hair as short as theirs it would be very difficult to have them look anything like their movie hair (not impossible, granted, but very difficult).
I *wish* they had found a way with Legolas, but I think sculpted is the right way to go with the Hobbits.

EDIT: Ooh my 1000th post. How very exciting!

Please have a look at this old eBay listing. Some of its pics are still visible:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-Custom...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

To me, no previous Frodo headsculpt has ever looked quite that good. It beats the crap out of any previous effort. And the hair looks quite good as is. Just think how it would look if properly styled, such as Asmus will do with Aragorn.

BTW the base headsculpt for the one in the pics is still comercially available on eBay.

And that's just a guy at home. No Company resources, no engineers, no artists, no nothing.

Conclusion: rooted hair is the future, also for the hobbits, and it sure is the way Asmus should go. But they won't go that way unless we fans and customers unite and ask them for it in one voice.

So: let's do it. Let's all sign a wwww.change.org petition!

m.

Personally I disagree, with hair as short as theirs it would be very difficult to have them look anything like their movie hair (not impossible, granted, but very difficult).
I *wish* they had found a way with Legolas, but I think sculpted is the right way to go with the Hobbits.

EDIT: Ooh my 1000th post. How very exciting!

A petition? I can't tell if you are serious or not!

That head sculpt is one guy at home true, but how do you know he is not an engineer or an artist? He could easily be both. Nevertheless, he made one great head. Could he make 1000 of them exactly the same, and not take years doing it? Not a chance. And he sold it for $39, how many would he have to make to use that as a living? And if he does it as a side business, how slow would it be to keep them coming in the numbers Asmus do, while keeping his day job.

I am sure there is a guy/girl in the Asmus factory who could have done the rooted braids and hair for Legolas, but it doesn't mean its possible to mass produce them with any accuracy or consistency. Which is why they went the way they did.

As for the hobbits, personally I would like them rooted if done well, but its just not feasible yet. I am sure it will be eventually as skills and technology develop, but Asmus is still a business and they need to find cost effective ways of making the best possible figures vs the cost vs the ability to reproduce the results consistently.
You also have to consider that not every one feels the way you or I do, many prefer sculpted over rooted so again they have to make what they think will sell well.

No amount of requests from a few people on a forum will ever change that. We are lucky Asmus pays as much attention to as as they do.

Back