Asmus Toys : Legolas (wip thread)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally managed to open up Leggy.
Quick comparison with old SSC (repainted and re-handed):
View attachment 357840

Thank you for the comparison.

I was a little concerned that due to the simplistic nature of the outfit, that perhaps Sideshow would basically hold up short of the sculpt... but I see now that Asmus has really improved Legolas in every aspect: boots, pants, tunic, belts, shirt, quiver, etc...

I will have to pick this up now. Though I fear I will be tempted in time to add real hair...

Some pictures I have just uploaded to my Instagram.

He is all stock. I just did a couple of little tweaks to get him where I wanted. I think you've gotta have some of the blue under shirt showing through the green tunic.!! So I kinda trapped the green tunic with the belt at the back to separate it at the front.

I also undid those loops either side of his ribs and tucked them under the belt, I like the idea behind it but they just looked out of scale and wouldn't sit right.

I removed the wire from the cloak as I felt it added unnecessary bulk to the already packed in neck area and I loosened the quiver strap which goes over his left shoulder, now there is more room on the back of the figure for the quiver to move more freely around and it also helps by giving you a bit more room where his hair/hood/quiver is. Not only that, but it places the brooch on his chest in a more accurate position.

I also swapped the knife tabbards round. As they were inaccurate as many have pointed out.

Also, the stitching coming loose on the cloak at the brooch area is kind of a blessing in disguise (after my OCD hating that it happened) as I can now place the brooch pointing sideways rather than down which is also accurate.

Just a couple of little things I think help this figure out of the box! It really is awesome. I can't wait for the slim aragorn. :rock

With the upper chest strap being repainted a lighter shade of brown and a hair repaint this thing will be pretty unbeatable in my eyes, save for the awesome hair work like Raymond f. Did :rock

6b141d81c8ee5e334f195afd4cae85b8.jpg
a16a9a66274273f042122c3c7da7644c.jpg
79d30ae4419fb7fca3c84f487e87e2c2.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the comparison.
I was a little concerned that due to the simplistic nature of the outfit, that perhaps Sideshow would basically hold up short of the sculpt... but I see now that Asmus has really improved Legolas in every aspect: boots, pants, tunic, belts, shirt, quiver, etc...

I will have to pick this up now. Though I fear I will be tempted in time to add real hair...

Yes...other figures with baggy outfits aged better (Gandalf, Boromir) but poor Legolas suffers from that clumsy jerkin designed for the old buck body. If I want to keep him around I must swap him to a modern body and upgrade the jerkin.

He is all stock. I just did a couple of little tweaks to get him where I wanted. I think you've gotta have some of the blue under shirt showing through the green tunic.!! So I kinda trapped the green tunic with the belt at the back to separate it at the front.

I also undid those loops either side of his ribs and tucked them under the belt, I like the idea behind it but they just looked out of scale and wouldn't sit right.

I removed the wire from the cloak as I felt it added unnecessary bulk to the already packed in neck area and I loosened the quiver strap which goes over his left shoulder, now there is more room on the back of the figure for the quiver to move more freely around and it also helps by giving you a bit more room where his hair/hood/quiver is. Not only that, but it places the brooch on his chest in a more accurate position.

I also swapped the knife tabbards round. As they were inaccurate as many have pointed out.

Also, the stitching coming loose on the cloak at the brooch area is kind of a blessing in disguise (after my OCD hating that it happened) as I can now place the brooch pointing sideways rather than down which is also accurate.

Just a couple of little things I think help this figure out of the box! It really is awesome. I can't wait for the slim aragorn. :rock

With the upper chest strap being repainted a lighter shade of brown and a hair repaint this thing will be pretty unbeatable in my eyes, save for the awesome hair work like Raymond f. Did :rock

Nice futzing touches. I completely agree with you that a caouple of minor repaint can make him almost perfect. But the damn bow still bothers me as I was planning a pre-lothlorien Fellowship diorama.

Great stuff... and excellent work especially with the cloak at the neck. How does it look in the back?

Yes...other figures with baggy outfits aged better (Gandalf, Boromir) but poor Legolas suffers from that clumsy jerkin designed for the old buck body. If I want to keep him around I must swap him to a modern body and upgrade the jerkin.

Nice futzing touches. I completely agree with you that a caouple of minor repaint can make him almost perfect. But the damn bow still bothers me as I was planning a pre-lothlorien Fellowship diorama.
thanks Man.

I do have the sideshow pre-lothlorien bow and quiver I could probably get rid of if you're interested.

Excellent pose. You have him looking very natural.
Thanks a lot man. Glad you think so.

Great stuff... and excellent work especially with the cloak at the neck. How does it look in the back?
Thanks wor! It's still really
Neat in the back even after moving the wire. Most of it is hidden by the hair. I'll try to snap a pic

That'd be great. I actually meant how does the cape and quiver look from the back, like how did you sort the straps and quiver without making a hole in the cape? Your cape drapes so nicely.

That'd be great. I actually meant how does the cape and quiver look from the back, like how did you sort the straps and quiver without making a hole in the cape? Your cape drapes so nicely.
Ah. There is a slit in the cloak which you simply slip over the quiver!

I forgot to mention as well, the brooch on his chest has like a pin sticking out of the back of it. I snipped mine off then sanded it down. I just think if you move the brooch around a lot it may damage the outfit.

After being disappointed when unboxing the troll head, at least Legolas himself is pretty nice! Liking the costume, but some more futzing will definitely help. The head sculpt likeness is decent, but the hair could be a lot better too. Video review coming soon :)

IMG_4156b.jpg

...I loosened the quiver strap which goes over his left shoulder, now there is more room on the back of the figure for the quiver to move more freely around and it also helps by giving you a bit more room where his hair/hood/quiver is. Not only that, but it places the brooch on his chest in a more accurate position.

How exactly did you loosen the quiver strap? I took mine off to try to loosen it up, but I couldn't make anymore slack.

Recieved mine today - compared to other ASMUS LotR figures, I put it up there as one of their better ones. The boot attached to the head of the troll arrived broken off so I have reached out to Asmus to see what can be done. Great figure though, glad I got the "luxury" version as the troll turned out really well - especially the teeth.

Great job ASMUS!

20170805_145500.jpg 20170805_145825.jpg

20170805_145801.jpg

20170805_150131.jpg

20170805_150150.jpg

The strap that goes over his shoulder - you have to undo the glue but not reattach it. You can just hide the end under his hair/cloak.

Ah I see. I undid the glue and tried to fee it though, but it just wasn't working. I'll have to try it again. Thanks!

Back