Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the side where I hope for more improvements on the figs but I have to say Asmus has improved a lot with their recent figures. Arwen is a step back but I can't wait to buy their GtG.

While these polls and petitions are great for the customer point of view, I don't see how it is financially viable for them. Asmus isn't at the size of Hot Toys yet, so forget about matching Hasbro. It is a good idea for Hot Toys though, especially when Howard said whether a prototype gets produced is based on customer feedback. I don't really know how they get feedback besides social media.

You sure do seem pretty keen on spending other peoples money. You may be perfectly fine with spending an extra 50 bucks or more on a niche item, but I guarantee you that many won’t. Asmus has to balance that fine line of delivering a pretty good product to many collectors at a reasonable price versus delivering a stellar product for more money to a few. Most collectors are perfectly happy keeping a figure stock if it means the price is kept down. For those who are perfectionist they will go that extra mile to make a museum piece. Something you and some others don’t take into account is scale. At a normal viewing distance very few people can really appreciate the difference between real scale chain mail and the fake stuff most companies use. It’s more about the artist doing it and knowing he pulled it off. A casual observer wouldn’t even know the difference unless it was pointed out.

Last edited:
I'm on the side where I hope for more improvements on the figs but I have to say Asmus has improved a lot with their recent figures. Arwen is a step back but I can't wait to buy their GtG.

While these polls and petitions are great for the customer point of view, I don't see how it is financially viable for them. Asmus isn't at the size of Hot Toys yet, so forget about matching Hasbro. It is a good idea for Hot Toys though, especially when Howard said whether a prototype gets produced is based on customer feedback. I don't really know how they get feedback besides social media.

As I explained, what I propose might be financially sound to Asmus. Up to them to decide whether this would be actually true or not.

Also, I think that upgrades of that sort won't be just $50. It's like camera lenses, a f1.4 prime lens cost WAY more than a f/1.8 prime lens.

....and that's because of different reasons: a way more expensive manufacturing process needed to produce f1.8 lenses, or just the major brands establishing f1.8 as something only pros will buy and hence pricing them accordingly... who knows.

But I do know that the same technology you use to root Gimli's beard as Asmus has done it, should be enough and the same to root it properly and completely. Same applies to the moustache. Sure, fully rooting beard and moustache areas would be more expensive. But how much more? I can't imagine it being a lot.

You sure do seem pretty keen on spending other peoples money. You may be perfectly fine with spending an extra 50 bucks or more on a niche item, but I guarantee you that many won’t. Asmus has to balance that fine line of delivering a pretty good product to many collectors at a reasonable price versus delivering a stellar product for more money to a few. Most collectors are perfectly happy keeping a figure stock if it means the price is kept down. For those who are perfectionist they will go that extra mile to make a museum piece. Something you and some others don’t take into account is scale. At a normal viewing distance very few people can really appreciate the difference between real scale chain mail and the fake stuff most companies use. It’s more about the artist doing it and knowing he pulled it off. A casual observer wouldn’t even know the difference unless it was pointed out.

Your "guarantee" against mine. :)
But if Marvel/DC figs sell for obscene amounts of moolah, wouldn't we, dedicated LOTR fans, pay more in exchange for... more?

Then, there is the proto, which "oddly enough" is much closer to what I ask:

TB2eqpem_lYBeNjSszcXXbwhFXa_!!67985887.jpg

...and is orders of magnitude better than the production units, which are shamelessly worse:

review_gimli_5.jpg

The more I look at both pictures, the more unethically different they seem to me. Asmus should be more honest with their marketing stuff: if they are going to pull the damn thing very differently in production, why don't they show a prototype that actually looks like what we are going to get?? And I don't care how good production units look to you guys, I only ask for marketing stuff that shows a prototype that at least has been built the same way as production units will be. Gimli's proto does look as it was rooted very differently and to me, that is not a "slight difference". That is not fair, Asmus!

BTW "casual observers" do not buy "niche figures". People like you and me, ready to cough up the money it takes to own one of these figs
are rather keen on good details, lovingly look at our figs from far and also from up close, and we tell the difference buddy. We really do.

m.

PS: have a look at how Coomodel root their figs. Nice moustache eh? And lots of metal on these Vikings, too.

s-l1600.jpg

Asgardianboy, your point is interesting, but I think it's simply out of reach right now. If that quality you ask for, and so far is only available in custom figures for 800+ usd, would be doable at a fair price, every manufacturer would be doing it. Price is indeed a factor. Casual collector is not some random joe in the wild, but a 1/6 collector interested probably in many lines to invest a small fortune in a Lord of the Rings collection, but interested in spending a few hundreds in a representative set of figures. I've heard of many people purchasing Gimli as their first LOTR figure, just because how good it is. Of course we all love perfection and I think the market can actually evolve to those things you're pointing in a not far future. Silicon sculpts, movable cristal eyes, real hair, metal, leather and whatnot. It all depends on the price and technology available. I think we're already in a point much better than a few years ago for quality, but the prices have grown accordingly too. Asmus specially has grown a lot, their quality is growing too, and it will be better with time, I'm sure.

Not going to quote a reply because that is way too much text. After going through your posts I'm really thinking this forum is the wrong place for your collecting caliber, not to mention the fact your demonizing a company that is still in the grand scheme in it's infancy in comparison to Hot Toys or what not. Asmus is without a doubt the most community oriented 1/6 company out there, they actually listen and discuss input from their patrons and have made changes based on our comments and recommendations. Is it always right? No. But I think you're probably in the 1% thinking they aren't pulling their weight with this line. I mean seriously, focus away from the sculpts and paint for one second and take a look at the tailoring and accessory detail, which is absolutely second to none.

Tbh, the only reason I'm posting this is because your thread hijacks are becoming cumbersome. If you don't like the figure I recommend an "Aww shucks, that's not what I hoped for. So I'm not going to buy it" as opposed to volumes of reasons why it's not up to your standards. Or, buy the figure and review it and let us know what you do or do not enjoy, but please enough of these posts. They're getting old and honestly taking away from the posts of "I got a new toy and I want to talk about it and be excited!" which is honestly why we're all here.

Now, I do not want to start some feud or fight or what not. Please this into consideration before your inevitable reply. So with that I would ask. Can we see your collection to see what you're interested in and excited over? This is not to be meant as a facetious request, I am genuinely interested in discussing the positives of what you collect as opposed to the negatives of what you do not.

Thanks. Also, sorry mods if I started a fight. Not my intentions.

Gimli is my first Asmus figure. I am a LotR fan but the others just weren't doing it for me, until this and now I can't wait for their GtG. Asmus also deserves credit for making the entire fellowship and they are still working on the side characters. If Hot Toys have this license, it is almost to a certain that they won't complete the fellowship, let alone the side characters.

AB, you should find a good customizer and give him/her all this money that you are willing to spend to improve this figure.

I'd love to see proof that he actually does spend money, or has modded any figures.
Sure asks for a lot of customizing tips (yet can't be bothered to read through existing threads for information that's already there), grouses constantly in every Asmus thread about production figures not living up to his expectations, and offers lots of uninformed theories as to how the figures can be improved with no knowledge of the economics involved, but I've seen no actual pics showcasing any customized or factory made figures.

Not going to quote a reply because that is way too much text. After going through your posts I'm really thinking this forum is the wrong place for your collecting caliber, not to mention the fact your demonizing a company that is still in the grand scheme in it's infancy in comparison to Hot Toys or what not. Asmus is without a doubt the most community oriented 1/6 company out there, they actually listen and discuss input from their patrons and have made changes based on our comments and recommendations. Is it always right? No. But I think you're probably in the 1% thinking they aren't pulling their weight with this line. I mean seriously, focus away from the sculpts and paint for one second and take a look at the tailoring and accessory detail, which is absolutely second to none.

Tbh, the only reason I'm posting this is because your thread hijacks are becoming cumbersome. If you don't like the figure I recommend an "Aww shucks, that's not what I hoped for. So I'm not going to buy it" as opposed to volumes of reasons why it's not up to your standards. Or, buy the figure and review it and let us know what you do or do not enjoy, but please enough of these posts. They're getting old and honestly taking away from the posts of "I got a new toy and I want to talk about it and be excited!" which is honestly why we're all here.

Now, I do not want to start some feud or fight or what not. Please this into consideration before your inevitable reply. So with that I would ask. Can we see your collection to see what you're interested in and excited over? This is not to be meant as a facetious request, I am genuinely interested in discussing the positives of what you collect as opposed to the negatives of what you do not.

:duff

Gimli is my first Asmus figure. I am a LotR fan but the others just weren't doing it for me, until this and now I can't wait for their GtG. Asmus also deserves credit for making the entire fellowship and they are still working on the side characters. If Hot Toys have this license, it is almost to a certain that they won't complete the fellowship, let alone the side characters.

AB, you should find a good customizer and give him/her all this money that you are willing to spend to improve this figure.

I'd love to see proof that he actually does spend money, or has modded any figures.
Sure asks for a lot of customizing tips (yet can't be bothered to read through existing threads for information that's already there), grouses constantly in every Asmus thread about production figures not living up to his expectations, and offers lots of uninformed theories as to how the figures can be improved with no knowledge of the economics involved, but I've seen no actual pics showcasing any customized or factory made figures.

Well, I don't have any problem with asgardianboy asking and figuring out how to improve figures. I'd love to have the time/skills/budget to make each figure on my collection as perfect as possible, so I understand and share his interest. Just I think we can't ask perfection for $200, and I'm really happy with my Asmus LOTR collection so far.

Well, I don't have any problem with asgardianboy asking and figuring out how to improve figures. I'd love to have the time/skills/budget to make each figure on my collection as perfect as possible, so I understand and share his interest. Just I think we can't ask perfection for $200, and I'm really happy with my Asmus LOTR collection so far.

Well yeah, and besides, spending lots of money on a fig doesn't guarantee anything, even at larger scales. I've seen busts and figs over $1,000 that I found pretty questionable. Hate to get more specific as sure someone bought them and loves them, but *I waz shocked*:horror

And I think Gimli, Thranduil, Bilbo, and looks like Thorin ARE stellar:clap, given the range of materials, tailoring, sculpt, accessories. I love my GTG and Bard is actually pretty good, of the ones I own...Legolas of course the thick hair paint but for me there's hope ASMUS will re-release. Glad I have him anyway....

And another shout-out for Gimli having great, strong joints so he doesn't fold when you position him. The one ding I would have w. ASMUS looks like Arwen - but wasn't planning on her. Not sure what is going on there:google - have 2 great Gimlis and waiting on Thorin!:impatient:

Gimli is awesome. Possibly one of my faves in my whole collection. Asmus did such a good job I immediately bought all four hobbits.

Keep it up Asmus. :rock

Just opened this guy and finally completed my Fellowship today. Owning most of Asmus's figures (I missed a few of the early ones) I can say Gimli is definitely one of, if not the, best, and also makes me really excited for Thorin, the only other Dwarf it seems we're getting.

Asgardianboy, your point is interesting, but I think it's simply out of reach right now. If that quality you ask for, and so far is only available in custom figures for 800+ usd, would be doable at a fair price, every manufacturer would be doing it. Price is indeed a factor. Casual collector is not some random joe in the wild, but a 1/6 collector interested probably in many lines to invest a small fortune in a Lord of the Rings collection, but interested in spending a few hundreds in a representative set of figures. I've heard of many people purchasing Gimli as their first LOTR figure, just because how good it is. Of course we all love perfection and I think the market can actually evolve to those things you're pointing in a not far future. Silicon sculpts, movable cristal eyes, real hair, metal, leather and whatnot. It all depends on the price and technology available. I think we're already in a point much better than a few years ago for quality, but the prices have grown accordingly too. Asmus specially has grown a lot, their quality is growing too, and it will be better with time, I'm sure.

Again: yep, Asmus has improved in an epic scale. Kudos have already been given to them by me and from others, not only in terms of positive posts on this forum, but rather in terms of dollars spent on their figs.
Again: I am aware Gimli is a milestone, but it is not free of limitations whose cause I can't understand.
Again: they should show realistic protos. I don't see HT figures that far removed from their protos. If collectors of all walks of life are taken into consideration, that is just great, but show me a realistic proto of what I'll get for the money.
Again: they have done well the difficult stuff. To my eyes, they have done not-so-good in the last mile.
Again: I don't ask new technologies be introduced. I ask small but important improvements which I can't understand why are even needed in the first place. No customizers should be needed as far as what I am pointint out is concerned.
Again: how I'd like Mr Asmus chimed in...

Again: I am not demonizing Asmus. My criticism is constructive and evidence-based. I have bought all of the Company and a bunch more. I am fully onboard, and precisely that gives me an awful lot of right to criticize.
Again: the simple fact that I criticize the headsculpts doesn't mean that I condemn anything else or that I don't appreciate the value of other factors. I just criticize the headsculpts pointing out the problems that I think they suffer from. Nothing more, nothing else.
Again: I am aware of how difficult is to reach HT. Asmus has ALWAYS answered back to EVERY SINGLE email I have sent to them. I have already given them a lot of credit in the past. Precisely because of that, I encourage them to mingle more with us. For their very own sake (and ours too, of course).
Again: why don't you ask other people to show their figs? Why me? Because what I say doesn't fit the order of the Universe within your head?

ImABarRoomHero: thread hijacking? really? Sorry but I thought this thread was about Gimli, a figure manufactured by a company called Asmus, and that we were supposed to post honest, objective opinions. Is it not? What is it for? Non-stop cheering? Is disent a problem to you btw? Does it really bother you that much if I reply your attacks on me (or anyone else's for that matter)? Please let me know. I am really intrigued.

Last remark: bigotry won't Trump me.

And no worry mods: there won't be no fight in here tonight, in spite of all the attacks on me.

Not playing your game. ;-)
Heck I can't resist... OK I am going to play your game: if I post a pic of a bunch of Asmus figures, will I be allowed to freely criticize negatively on your thread? Will you appreciate my disent, all of a sudden? ;-)

Again: I do not state with total certainty that Asmus did utterly wrong. I state that I can't understand why they did what they did the way they did it. I also condemn what is evident: protos do not relate to production units (and only in terms of headsculpt/rooting!!).

There.
Again: the Company is a historical milestone. Tiresome and useless to repeat it. I wish we moved on a little bit. Hence my criticism.

Well yeah, and besides, spending lots of money on a fig doesn't guarantee anything, even at larger scales. I've seen busts and figs over $1,000 that I found pretty questionable. Hate to get more specific as sure someone bought them and loves them, but *I waz shocked*:horror

That's right. I have seen $500 HS that were crap.

m.

Back