Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thick is better?
How is it better?
m.

We see it differently, srsly.:cool: I've got a few HTs that bother me a bit in the skin/hair transition:( - but IMO Gimli is terrific. Thankfully ASMUS seemed to use thick, silky, high quality fiber too. My worst quibble is I want a pipe for him.

And that is a real small thing compared to the excellence of those 5 axes.:love

Oh come on.
I won't even start counting the huge differences between this:

gimli.jpg

...and this:

EUGmU.jpg

m.

We see it differently, srsly.:cool: I've got a few HTs that bother me a bit in the skin/hair transition:( - but IMO Gimli is terrific. Thankfully ASMUS seemed to use thick, silky, high quality fiber too. My worst quibble is I want a pipe for him.

And that is a real small thing compared to the excellence of those 5 axes.:love

Oh come on.
I won't even start counting the huge differences between this:

View attachment 435318

...and this:

View attachment 435319

m.

Yeah, but keepin' it real for the dollars...ASMUS isn't charging what a custom would cost - if u want punched human hair, real leather, glass eyes etc. Can't even imagine the price.

Meanwhile my Gimli #2 rolled in today and kudos to ASMUS for the consistent quality - another beautiful fig.:cool::elefant:gimli:gimli

Yeah, but keepin' it real for the dollars...ASMUS isn't charging what a custom would cost - if u want punched human hair, real leather, glass eyes etc. Can't even imagine the price.

Meanwhile my Gimli #2 rolled in today and kudos to ASMUS for the consistent quality - another beautiful fig.:cool::elefant:gimli:gimli

That’s not even a custom he is comparing the Asmus figure with. Its the actual actor in costume. lol

Who said I want any of that? Why do you say I said that? Have you actually read what I wrote? If so, have you taken the time to fully understand what I meant? If so, have you intentionally put words in my mouth for some reason? I don't think I have done that to you, have I? Why have you then?

You want to know what I want? I want the rooted beard to cover the same area as the real one does, to begin with. You know why I want that? Because CAN'T COST MUCH MORE MONEY THAT IT COSTS DOING IT THE WRONG WAY. Beacuse, sorry, Asmus did it wrong.
I also want the moustache to be a real moustache, not some implausible, overgrown nose hair. Cost more money? Say how much. I bet it would be worth it.
And then there are the big pony tails. Too big. But that I can fix.
You know what? I can go on for a while (rooted material too bright and having to use product on it too annoying, eyebrows need more work, etc) without even mentioning those glass eyes of yours.

That’s not even a custom he is comparing the Asmus figure with. Its the actual actor in costume. lol

Oh sorry!
I must have misunderstood what we are comparing with when we say "accuracy"!
Please, by all means, go ahead. Give your definition.

m.

Who said I want any of that? Why do you say I said that? Have you actually read what I wrote? If so, have you taken the time to fully understand what I meant? If so, have you intentionally put words in my mouth for some reason? I don't think I have done that to you, have I? Why have you then?

You want to know what I want? I want the rooted beard to cover the same area as the real one does, to begin with. You know why I want that? Because CAN'T COST MUCH MORE MONEY THAT IT COSTS DOING IT THE WRONG WAY. Beacuse, sorry, Asmus did it wrong.
I also want the moustache to be a real moustache, not some implausible, overgrown nose hair. Cost more money? Say how much. I bet it would be worth it.
And then there are the big pony tails. Too big. But that I can fix.
You know what? I can go on for a while (rooted material too bright and having to use product on it too annoying, eyebrows need more work, etc) without even mentioning those glass eyes of yours.

Oh sorry!
I must have misunderstood what we are comparing with when we say "accuracy"!
Please, by all means, go ahead. Give your definition.

m.

*Shrug* - then do some fixing and plz come back and post pics when u are done. Think everyone likes pics of great customs. As for hair placement etc. can't comment 'coz I'd have to go through every frame of LOTR where there's Gimli e.g. false hair and prosthetics - I don't know if his look was consistent from frame to frame. I know I never noticed anything off, unlike Legolas changing eye color:monkey3

Re paying more for, possibly, *real* chain mail, or whatever other "upgrades" - not sure re production work the changes u want are that easy to implement. Depending on the character, sure I'd pay more within reason. Within reason. And a lot of folks CAN'T afford that.

So U say quote u a price - throw on another 100$, 'coz one figure getting xtra careful details put on is gonna slow the whole factory down when that one figure is more like 1500 being produced. And that's just a few added details. I've seen good custom heads - sculpted hair - priced at $350-600. Just for the head.

In anything, ur pics of the actor just impressed me more re what ASMUS has done with Gimli. Fantastic fig right down to his detailed boots and carefully rolled blanket. Even the way the boots are done - kind of a double upper boot:love so when posed, u don't get ankle joint/peg showing but u can still articulate.:clap:clap:clap

I will have to redo the pony tails but I don't think I should learn to root hair just because Asmus didn't get the rooting accurate enough. They nailed the difficult part, but failed in the last mile.

I don't know if false hair and prosthetics were consistent from frame to frame. What I do know is that they should, people was hired so that they would, and despite human failure, I'd say they probably are. So you can go and check. You'll see I am right.

I won't speculate as to production costs. Not my area of expertise. But would any of you pay more if you get much more? Would utter beauty and perfection be attractive enough to cough up 50 extra bucks? Have you guys seen the price tag on that Mythos Obi by SSC? SSC thought that people would bite the bullet, and well, they were right.

Food for thought.
m.

*Shrug* - then do some fixing and plz come back and post pics when u are done. Think everyone likes pics of great customs. As for hair placement etc. can't comment 'coz I'd have to go through every frame of LOTR where there's Gimli e.g. false hair and prosthetics - I don't know if his look was consistent from frame to frame. I know I never noticed anything off, unlike Legolas changing eye color:monkey3

Re paying more for, possibly, *real* chain mail, or whatever other "upgrades" - not sure re production work the changes u want are that easy to implement. Depending on the character, sure I'd pay more within reason. Within reason. And a lot of folks CAN'T afford that.

So U say quote u a price - throw on another 100$, 'coz one figure getting xtra careful details put on is gonna slow the whole factory down when that one figure is more like 1500 being produced. And that's just a few added details. I've seen good custom heads - sculpted hair - priced at $350-600. Just for the head.

In anything, ur pics of the actor just impressed me more re what ASMUS has done with Gimli. Fantastic fig right down to his detailed boots and carefully rolled blanket. Even the way the boots are done - kind of a double upper boot:love so when posed, u don't get ankle joint/peg showing but u can still articulate.:clap:clap:clap

None of us know the exact cost and margin of these figures. Higher price point does not mean better profit overall for the company as the number of units sold can be affected. Personally, I won't pay $50 more for better hair since I prefer him with the helmet on but that's just me. I don't mind paying more money for a better Legolas and Aragorn though.

None of us know the exact cost and margin of these figures. Higher price point does not mean better profit overall for the company as the number of units sold can be affected. Personally, I won't pay $50 more for better hair since I prefer him with the helmet on but that's just me. I don't mind paying more money for a better Legolas and Aragorn though.

Good points for sure.
I am sure that the improvements I have pointed out (beard and moustache, not the real chainmail), wouln't be worth $50.

https://www.mwctoys.com/images3/review_gimli_3.jpg

That moustache needed a bit more hair so that it would cover the whole lip and no sculpted moustache would have been needed. I can't imagine any reason why there would be a dramatic increase in cost because of that. Same applies to beard line not being accurate.

And I also wonder about the cost difference between metal mailchain and that material they used instead, which accounts here describe as a negative aspect to the figure. Mr Asmus chime in on this please!

m.

Gimli3.jpg
Just thought I would leave this here. Anyway I took Gimli on a hike this past weekend. He did not enjoy all the uphill walking.

I will have to redo the pony tails but I don't think I should learn to root hair just because Asmus didn't get the rooting accurate enough. They nailed the difficult part, but failed in the last mile.

I don't know if false hair and prosthetics were consistent from frame to frame. What I do know is that they should, people was hired so that they would, and despite human failure, I'd say they probably are. So you can go and check. You'll see I am right.

I won't speculate as to production costs. Not my area of expertise. But would any of you pay more if you get much more? Would utter beauty and perfection be attractive enough to cough up 50 extra bucks? Have you guys seen the price tag on that Mythos Obi by SSC? SSC thought that people would bite the bullet, and well, they were right.

Food for thought.
m.

U mean the poly Obi?

U might want to look at FB re dwarf chain mail and the thought ASMUS put into Gimli. It's not "ordinary" chain mail.

Anyway I'm more than happy with what ASMUS did. I couldn't see, myself, paying more to have more hair higher on the cheeks re the pic u posted (I haven't looked at a bunch of frames of LOTR). Also for me there's a real question of - at that scale - you put more hair on, it "closes" the face up. An effect u might want, or not.

For myself it would be more about using real leather, here and there. But that kind of thing - also the mail - I can do myself - so, nope, at this price point I don't need ASMUS to do anything. He's a terrific fig.

A rooted hair, Hobbit Mirkwood Legolas for me, w. that "leaf" shoulder armor.

Ehm... "poly Obi"?

I must have a look at that FB post, which has been referenced to me a couple of times already. But....... in spite of all the care I KNOW Asmus is pouring onto their stuff, and not having the figure in my hand to test, I just can refer to others' opinions. Granted, if metal chainmail was "that easy", they would have gone that way and avoided all the pain they took, but man....... I just can't swallow that easy that Asmus couldn't source a nice amount of that chainmail that you find in (cheap?) fashion items, for cheap... Then would come actually assembling the chainmail jacket out of scraps of that big chainmail amount they bought wholesale for cheap. Could they do that with some machine, or should it be done manually, or both...? Then, would there be QC problems? (e.g. metal chainmail destroying the rest of the outfit somehow?). Then, there would be the end result: not accurate enough in spite of the cool "it's metal" factor?

Using metal chainmail would be a difficult, involved process, that is for sure. But seeing fans doing it alone at home (even if at a great cost of sourcing and on the implementation effort), and the awesome results they get..... really leaves me scratching my head and wondering why didn't they just do it?? They are experts. They are a successful company. They could beat the crap of any fan-made custom in terms of costs and quality. Even get those metal rings look exactly as how they did on screen...
Over to you, Mr Asmus!!!
Oh well... :)

Regarding your other comment on hair covering all of the face: that's the way the original is. You always want to look as close as possible to the original.

Seeing people around here spending so long and working so hard to improve their figs, leaves me without any shadow of doubt: we all will pay more if the product is better. Gimli was not thaaaaaaaaaaaaaat expensive to begin with. Only question: how much more for how much better? That is where Asmus should have just asked around, performed some polls... They mingle with us a bit, they should do it more, for their own sake. Maybe they should have showed us 2 or 3 protos, different qualities, then do what Haslabs did: create a kickstarter. But a kickstarter on their webshop where, say, 3 protos would be offered and people would commit to the proto they would prefer. Some pre-determined selection process would ensue, and after all was said and done, Asmus would go ahead with the winner proto, which would have enough commitments (i.e. preorders) for a release to be financially successful even before hitting the ON button at the factory!! Win-win situation!!

Come on Asmus! Haslab did it! You guys can do it too!!! It is the way things will be done in the future!!! And this is not about a huge $500 Jabba Sail Barge, even!! And you would do the whole world, as you always do, instead of only USA!

...and btw this would sure be a kick in the mouth to all naysayers around here that laugh at me for even proposing running polls or creating petitions.... :)
Power to the people!! :)

RfC
m.

PS: yeap, real leather would do a lot in terms of fig durability, not only aesthetics...

U mean the poly Obi?

U might want to look at FB re dwarf chain mail and the thought ASMUS put into Gimli. It's not "ordinary" chain mail.

Anyway I'm more than happy with what ASMUS did. I couldn't see, myself, paying more to have more hair higher on the cheeks re the pic u posted (I haven't looked at a bunch of frames of LOTR). Also for me there's a real question of - at that scale - you put more hair on, it "closes" the face up. An effect u might want, or not.

For myself it would be more about using real leather, here and there. But that kind of thing - also the mail - I can do myself - so, nope, at this price point I don't need ASMUS to do anything. He's a terrific fig.

A rooted hair, Hobbit Mirkwood Legolas for me, w. that "leaf" shoulder armor.

Back