Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buddy, you are too sure of things you don't actually know. 4 years ago, "luminaries" like pixletwinkie or Worst-Gas would have said exactly the same thing if shown a pic of one production unit of Gimli...

That image shows a figure that is even better than Asmus' proto. And I bet it is again a one-man-band effort. No big money, no factory, no engineers, no professional artists, no machines, no nothing. Only one amateur artist up against Asmus' dozens of pros. And I have to believe "it couldn't have been done better unless you had paid twice the price" ?
No way. That's cheerleader thinking. pixletwinkie and Worst-Gas kind of crap. Won't take it.

m.

Just the fax plz. Which u don't have. U don't know the background of the customizer - I'd say it was someone with experience and a good tool set. Didn't change the upper hairline either. U don't know how much time the customizer took for that job, or the cost. U also don't know if ASMUS - an up and coming company - has "dozens of pros". U also don't factor in the cost of designing packaging, producing packaging, art for the packaging, the cost of the accessories, the time of arranging a shipper - all of which the customizer doesn't have to do. Last I heard "average" graphic artists charge $80-100 an hour. Oh, and the license cost for Middle Earth movie image use.

Customizer also doesn't have to assemble and pack 1500 figures. So if ASMUS looked the market over for 1/6 figs and read any number of complaints about rising prices and opted to NOT charge another $100 for the Gimlis I have, and turn out that kind of quality, I'm good with it.

The cost of customizing something is totally different than starting from scratch and creating something to be mass produced. You cannot compare the two. Imaging buying a car and modifying it to your liking to building a car from scratch to whatever you like. It's totally different unless you are the one creating it, then you are using your own time.

Buddy, you are too sure of things you don't actually know. 4 years ago, "luminaries" like pixletwinkie or Worst-Gas would have said exactly the same thing if shown a pic of one production unit of Gimli...

That image shows a figure that is even better than Asmus' proto. And I bet it is again a one-man-band effort. No big money, no factory, no engineers, no professional artists, no machines, no nothing. Only one amateur artist up against Asmus' dozens of pros. And I have to believe "it couldn't have been done better unless you had paid twice the price" ?
No way. That's cheerleader thinking. pixletwinkie and Worst-Gas kind of crap. Won't take it.

m.

I’d love to eat crow on that statement but highly doubt I will. Main reason being the hair used. Only Tibetan lamb hair can offer the realism that only a custom piece can produce because only a customizer can spend the time applying Tibetan lamb strand by strand. A mass produced figure will only ever produce synthetic straight Barbie hair. Not even hot toys can break this mold. The Barbie hair is what holds it back. You will never see a figure with Barbie synthetic hair and think to yourself wow that looks so real. Only Tibetan lamb gives that wow realism factor. With that said I think Asmus is doing a pretty groundbreaking job with gimli and Thorin doing the best they can with synthetic Barbie hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the fax plz. Which u don't have. U don't know the background of the customizer - I'd say it was someone with experience and a good tool set. Didn't change the upper hairline either. U don't know how much time the customizer took for that job, or the cost. U also don't know if ASMUS - an up and coming company - has "dozens of pros". U also don't factor in the cost of designing packaging, producing packaging, art for the packaging, the cost of the accessories, the time of arranging a shipper - all of which the customizer doesn't have to do. Last I heard "average" graphic artists charge $80-100 an hour. Oh, and the license cost for Middle Earth movie image use.

Customizer also doesn't have to assemble and pack 1500 figures. So if ASMUS looked the market over for 1/6 figs and read any number of complaints about rising prices and opted to NOT charge another $100 for the Gimlis I have, and turn out that kind of quality, I'm good with it.

You don't have them either. What I do know is... exactly what I have repeated too many times already (and nobody reads or understands).
Upper hairline?
Re "cost of packaging etc"--->Not relevant. I am talking about tweaks to the bear and moustache and their impact in final price all other things unchanged.
Why does it take you guy so much to accept that Asmus MAYBE sillily screwed a couple of details on Gimli?

I’d love to eat crow on that statement but highly doubt I will. Main reason being the hair used. Only Tibetan lamb hair can offer the realism that only a custom piece can produce because only a customizer can spend the time applying Tibetan lamb strand by strand. A mass produced figure will only ever produce synthetic straight Barbie hair. Not even hot toys can break this mold. The Barbie hair is what holds it back. You will never see a figure with Barbie synthetic hair and think to yourself wow that looks so real. Only Tibetan lamb gives that wow realism factor. With that said I think Asmus is doing a pretty groundbreaking job with gimli and Thorin doing the best they can with synthetic Barbie hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. I'll give it to you. Again.
Before even getting to what you point out, we could consider why they didn't produce units that had similar rooted hair to that of the proto pics. That to begin with.
We could then continue with why the moustache seems to grow inside Gimli's nose, when they have the lips area totally uncovered (well... sculpted and painted, actually).
We could then get into why the beard's hairline is not a bit higher. Almost same effot, the beard would look more accurate that way.

"The machine couldn't do it"? Really?
I am not asking Asmus to go artisan, but to go all the way with the tools they already have.
And don't get me wrong: I am certain there is a why. A huge one. That's why I long for Mr Asmus kicking in.

The cost of customizing something is totally different than starting from scratch and creating something to be mass produced. You cannot compare the two. Imaging buying a car and modifying it to your liking to building a car from scratch to whatever you like. It's totally different unless you are the one creating it, then you are using your own time.

I am counting on a whole company's resources for the heavy lifting. Decades of experience, big money, engineers, artists, artisans. Months of work.
That kind of things.
But anyways, do you remember that, for the time being, I was ONLY asking for a beard hairline to be raised, and a moustache to be thicker?
Do you see that it is only a quantitative issue that is at stake?
Do you realise that rooted hair on proto pics looks nothing like that of production units? Or is it only me that can see it or will dare to say it in the presence of the Ringwraiths of Bigotry?

Talk to me when you're asgardianman.

Take your pills granny.

:lol

I understand asgardianboy much better now.

I see a forum where we are free to ask questions.... many questions... questions as far as the eye can see... yet do nothing with the answers.... but ask more questions.

My god, it will be beautiful.

Old fool...... Only now, at the end, do you understand.

“Pixletwinkie”...

I like it. Makes me sound cuddly and creamy and delicious.

Yeap. Same IQ too.

m.

And don't get me wrong: I am certain there is a why. A huge one. That's why I long for Mr Asmus kicking in...
I am counting on a whole company's resources for the heavy lifting. Decades of experience, big money, engineers, artists, artisans. Months of work.
That kind of things.
But anyways, do you remember that, for the time being, I was ONLY asking for a beard hairline to be raised, and a moustache to be thicker?
Do you see that it is only a quantitative issue that is at stake?
Do you realise that rooted hair on proto pics looks nothing like that of production units? Or is it only me that can see it or will dare to say it in the presence of the Ringwraiths of Bigotry?

Er, I suspect "Mr. Asmus" who has often generously visited the forum might be disinclined to spend time explaining the exact placement of a beard and thicker 'stache when we're talking differences of .00000000000000000000001 mm, possibly, and about a figure who was a character wearing fake hair, anyway. E.g. suspect that hair wasn't always in the same place throughout filming.
Especially when the figure seems to be very well received by most. Personally I'm not gonna sit down and look at every frame of LOTR where an especially hairy dwarf was present and then try to cross-calculate, proportionately, where Gimli's hairlines should be on a 1/6 fig, down to the mm.

Especially when I am so d@mn happy with a fig I wasn't even planning to buy, originally. Now, if u wanna talk about how it would be good to re-do Legolas w. rooted hair, right there with yah.

This is my Figure of the Year. Hands down.

(Thorin could give him a run for his money, but I haven't received that one yet.)

IMO Thorin does give Gimli a run for his money; but IMO Gimli squeaks by - maybe by default? coz of:

1) 5 beautifully made diecast axes, plus a nice cloak
2) U get a lot of rich detailing on Gimli...
3) Gimli's hair doesn't need to be IMO stroked the way Thorin's does, as long as u don't mess with it too much (tho, the directions say don't get Gimli's hair wet so maybe something horrible happens if u do?)

But - and leaving the excellent Bilbo out of this seein' as he's a hobbit...and aside from Thorin bein' a fav Middle Earth character - done in plastic/vinyl IMO Thorin's armor is a marvel. It's perfect. There are details on Thorin like the perfectly scaled fake fur, beautiful sculpt (e.g. "character figures" always seem easier for sculptors), even the rings and studs on Thorin's vambraces are detailed as well as Orcrist's pommel, the subtle and screen accurate clothing texture, the worn metallic and slight distressing on Thorin's boots.

So Gimli I guess squeaks in for the win, but IMO w. Thorin's subtle details it's a near thing. Plus, Thorin has the Oakenshield:cool:

Overall, I'm just *overwhelmed*:love to have 2 sturdy-bodied, beautifully costumed, amazing dwarves:clap (am so impressed with care u can pose these guys and Thorin can hold Orcrist up without sagging etc.). Again, at this price point. Real leather etc. would be nice, but getting these figs in hand is like starting a new hobby with the custom possibilities. I've got nits on both but that's pretty much for any figure.

Thorin_Gimli_ASMUS1.jpg

Must. Have. More. Dwarves.:drool Dwalin, of course. Dain on a war boar...:monkey3

Oh man, what you said is just so wrong....

Er, I suspect "Mr. Asmus" who has often generously visited the forum might be disinclined to spend time explaining the exact placement of a beard and thicker 'stache when we're talking differences of .00000000000000000000001 mm
It is not that small a difference, as you fallaciously suggest. And if you go right to the beginning of several threads in here which were started by
Mr Asmus themselves, you'll see that he has discussed headsculpts with us several times on here, asking for our opinions.
E.g.:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...action-figures/165078-asmus-toys-boromir.html

You know, when you ask for opinions on something that is 4cm long, with features being as small as half a milimeter, you are likely to end up having to talk about very small things.

, possibly, and about a figure who was a character wearing fake hair, anyway.
If you have the nerve to seriously state that in this world of Fantasy/Sci-Fi fandom, that means you are REALLY running thin on arguments (and that I am wasting my time writing this).

E.g. suspect that hair wasn't always in the same place throughout filming.

Well... you should say that to the Make-up people, the Continuity people, who where hired and paid to achieve exactly what you pretend was not achieved.
REMARK: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/continuity

Especially when the figure seems to be very well received by most.

So what? Don't get me started about situations where a whole society believed in things that where later proved to be wrong (utterly wrong) while a minority fought (and died) for what, in the end, turned out to be the truth.
Don't talk me about majorities, but about milimeters.
Have you ever heard of "hive mind"? I never have expected finding so much of it on this forums.

Personally I'm not gonna sit down and look at every frame of LOTR where an especially hairy dwarf was present and then try to cross-calculate, proportionately, where Gimli's hairlines should be on a 1/6 fig, down to the mm.

There's no need for such an effort (as you fallaciously pretend) because the problems I have pointed out are quite evident. It just takes an unbiased mind.

FYI, in 1/6, 1 milimeter is a huge amount, btw.

Especially when I am so d@mn happy with a fig I wasn't even planning to buy, originally. Now, if u wanna talk about how it would be good to re-do Legolas w. rooted hair, right there with yah.

I'm glad you are happy. I am happy too. I just think Asmus could have easily made me happier. I don't understand why they didn't.

Boy.... why have I spent 15 minuts answering all this, which was so evident...?

RfC
m.

IMO Thorin does give Gimli a run for his money; but IMO Gimli squeaks by - maybe by default? coz of:

1) 5 beautifully made diecast axes, plus a nice cloak
2) U get a lot of rich detailing on Gimli...
3) Gimli's hair doesn't need to be IMO stroked the way Thorin's does, as long as u don't mess with it too much (tho, the directions say don't get Gimli's hair wet so maybe something horrible happens if u do?)

But - and leaving the excellent Bilbo out of this seein' as he's a hobbit...and aside from Thorin bein' a fav Middle Earth character - done in plastic/vinyl IMO Thorin's armor is a marvel. It's perfect. There are details on Thorin like the perfectly scaled fake fur, beautiful sculpt (e.g. "character figures" always seem easier for sculptors), even the rings and studs on Thorin's vambraces are detailed as well as Orcrist's pommel, the subtle and screen accurate clothing texture, the worn metallic and slight distressing on Thorin's boots.

So Gimli I guess squeaks in for the win, but IMO w. Thorin's subtle details it's a near thing. Plus, Thorin has the Oakenshield:cool:

Overall, I'm just *overwhelmed*:love to have 2 sturdy-bodied, beautifully costumed, amazing dwarves:clap (am so impressed with care u can pose these guys and Thorin can hold Orcrist up without sagging etc.). Again, at this price point. Real leather etc. would be nice, but getting these figs in hand is like starting a new hobby with the custom possibilities. I've got nits on both but that's pretty much for any figure.

View attachment 437295

Must. Have. More. Dwarves.:drool Dwalin, of course. Dain on a war boar...:monkey3

Man... I didn't know Thorin had already shipped...
Thanks for the review, man. Happy that you are happy.
BUT... I'd prefer Balin and Gloin... I never bought those dwarves that look like downscaled humans (Filli and Milli...?).
m.

Oh man, what you said is just so wrong....

It is not that small a difference, as you fallaciously suggest. And if you go right to the beginning of several threads in here which were started by
Mr Asmus themselves, you'll see that he has discussed headsculpts with us several times on here, asking for our opinions.
E.g.:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...action-figures/165078-asmus-toys-boromir.html

You know, when you ask for opinions on something that is 4cm long, with features being as small as half a milimeter, you are likely to end up having to talk about very small things.

If you have the nerve to seriously state that in this world of Fantasy/Sci-Fi fandom, that means you are REALLY running thin on arguments (and that I am wasting my time writing this).

Well... you should say that to the Make-up people, the Continuity people, who where hired and paid to achieve exactly what you pretend was not achieved.
REMARK: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/continuity

So what? Don't get me started about situations where a whole society believed in things that where later proved to be wrong (utterly wrong) while a minority fought (and died) for what, in the end, turned out to be the truth.
Don't talk me about majorities, but about milimeters.
Have you ever heard of "hive mind"? I never have expected finding so much of it on this forums.

There's no need for such an effort (as you fallaciously pretend) because the problems I have pointed out are quite evident. It just takes an unbiased mind.

FYI, in 1/6, 1 milimeter is a huge amount, btw.

I'm glad you are happy. I am happy too. I just think Asmus could have easily made me happier. I don't understand why they didn't.

Boy.... why have I spent 15 minuts answering all this, which was so evident...?

RfC
m.

Because:lsvader. Meanwhile, one of my Gimlis is standing right here (because ASMUS has done such a great job with the dwarf bodies) and I'm admiring the tiny detailed beard beads, the beautiful sculpt with the perfect wash of tint and lifelike eyes that *gleam* in light of the desk lamp, the flow of the perfectly scaled elven cloak...

Glad we are BOTH happy. I'd be HAPPIER if I knew Dwalin was on the way:monkey3, and Dain, and Fili and Kili...with switch-out heads for Dwalin and diecast axes...and a new Mirkwood Legolas with enhanced sculpt and rooted *silky* hair w. a Mirkwood forest base and accessory spider...but for me having Bilbo, Gimli, and Thorin in hand this year. maybe that's enough happiness for now.

Mustn't be greedy, Precioussssss :gollum::gollum:

Hope you have a great holiday AB and maybe can find the time to do a custom Gimli that's everything u wanted.:cool:

Thorin_Gimli_ASMUS.jpg

The Line of Durin in 1/6 scale, beautifully realized by ASMUS. (With diecast weapons!) HAPPINESS:cool:

Haha, this is so perfect! Can you please translate all of his posts?

Lol... Thanks, but no! :)

warlock664 said:
Careful, you'll get accused of being a "Ringwraith of bigotry" (whatever the hell that is)!

I'm more worried about the possibility of being called "lieutenant dumb" or something similar, tbh. :lol

Asmus has the 10 Gimlis on sale for $150! Great price but sadly I already have mine. Congrats to any that he’d out and get this deal. If I had waited until this week to get Thorin, Bilbo and Gimli I could have saved a decent amount of cash.

Back