Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( Mine didn't arrive today ... they didn't even try to deliver him so I pray he's not sent to customs office ...

He arrived last night but couldn't get to him until today...

Wonderful figure... although I do have two issues with mine in particular.

But first, the praise:

- really love the sculpt, really love the hairing they did. A definite high mark for Asmus. They should be very proud.

- the outfit is very solid. Love the helmet! Boots work great. The detailing is very nice too.

- Gimli's height looks spot on with the other Asmus figures. Big plus there.

- on mine at least the head seems to sit up way too high. Now I had this with Gandalf the white and fixed it by messing with the plug so I'm assuming that's the issue on mine. I see everyone elses looking quite nicely low and hunched. I hope I can achieve that look as well. Maybe the cape helps sell that look.

- the axes are heavy and dangerous, as they should be. Really awesome. I hope someone here can help me with proper placement of them all.

So now the two little nits:

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the "chainmail" -- its very stiff and difficult to shape and hold a pose; it also crinkles up oddly at the elbows. Once wrinkled I imagine it runs the risk of cracking.

Also, the double-ax holder on the left side of his belt split open on mine -- I doubt its worth getting a replacement (in fact I don't think you can even take the belt off). Companies are using more and more rubber molded bits instead of pleather for complex belts, which I understand but I'm not crazy about.

All in all -- I love this figure and also agree it is one of Asmus finest. I can't express the excitement to finally have an authentic GIMLI in hand. It has been a long-wanted piece since Sideshow announced the line back in 2006. It took 12 years but this is well worth the wait.

There's been some really terrific pictures here of Gimli, so I think its time to add some that are more common with a slight blur and poor lighting :)

This is literally right out of the box, not flattering with the high-head but you need to see it...

COMP 2.jpg

COMP 1.jpgcu 3.jpg

And with gear... no futzing still...

COMP 3.jpg

I think he could do with a nice dirty-wash all over, don't you think?

Congratulations, Wor-Gar. He looks great. I hope you are able to solve the high neck issue. Otherwise, it looks like an awesome figure. Makes me wish I had invested in this line some more (just Frodo & Sam, awaiting Gandalf 2.0)[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone who preordered at KGHobby still waiting for shipping notification? Guess it’s time I contact them to say ‘Oi, where’s my toy!’

Aaaaand my Gimli is horrible at stealth ... -___- he let himself be caught by customs officers and I have to pick him up Friday ... great Gimli, just great. XD

gimli.gif

Mine leapt from California over Utah (where i live) to Denver. Prolly looking at a Friday delivery.

Glad everyone is happy with their dwarves! Mine is still “preparing for shipment” -_-

Where do you see this? I paid with paypal on Friday but on the order page on the asmus site it still only shows that I paid $20. No shipping notice or anything yet.

You get a shipping notice via email from them. If it's mailed through "Chunghwa Post," the default option, then if you enter in the shipping info in USPS.com, it says "preparing shipment" until it hits the U.S. and goes through customs and ends up with them. If you enter it on the Chunghwa Post site, it shows actual info until it hits the U.S. and it's taken over by USPS. At least, that's how it works in the States. Not sure about Canada.

Mine says "Preparing Shipment" on USPS, but Chunghwa Post shows it left Taiwan for LA yesterday.

They won’t ship until your payment clears through PayPal. Because that’s what happen to me paid last week didn’t get a shipping notice until today.

You know, that's a good point. Every time I've ordered from Asmus, my Paypal payment was held for review for a couple of days...until this one. Went right through. Wonder what changed.

Back