Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gimli has been tossed all the way to NYC!!!
and he's S W E E T !!!

...do these not come with a base, mine is without?

lowered his head.
SuYIsEE.jpg
[/IMG]

Got him today and briefly looked at him but wont open him for awhile.

Got a lot of guys ahead of him on my to open list

It’s by far the most impresssive thing I’ve seen from Asmus aside from the to be expected shiny synthetic look of the hair it’s really impressive what they pulled off and should be given high praise.

Got a chance to pick this guy up from my local post office this morning. And although I didn't get much time to futz with him before I had to leave for work, I am confident in saying ... this is my Figure of the Year. Hands down.

Fantastic, top to bottom. He's easily my favorite figure in this line now. (Sorry Grishnakh!)

And if this figure now represents the current level of technology and ability they've achieved from doing rooted hair to this point -- and now beards, too -- I would now totally support it if they wanted to re-do heads for Saruman, and both versions of Gandalf with rooted hair and beards. I'm totally sold.

Well, done Asmus. Well done.

Again, pending a non full review, I think Asmus has really turned a corner with this figure. without examining it closely on first place.

First off the paint and plastic quality is something I've only seen once before on thier second Laura portrait. A slight translucent PCV with more subtle apps and shading applied. Very promising for future releases.

The Beard looks good. I was worried about the sewn in around the cheek but its pretty well disguised.

the hair was the one thing that had me worried. it looked a little fake and cheap but it could be just that it needed futzing.

I plan to put a matte pomade the beard and hair which will get it to look a bit less plasticy. This is standard practice for me for all of my right from the manufacturer real hair that I don't gut and redo myself. You can use anything at the drug store so long as its not garbage quality. Good ones don't leave a gray film. The one I use which is the stuff I use in my own hair is Fatboy pomade perfect putty. It really cuts that shine right down and adds a bit more weight without making it look wet or clump together.

after that we will see what or if I do anything, most likely I will glue on top some straggles over the mustache and beard where it meets the skin for a more realistic look but I doubt I'll gut and redo the whole thing. I may however redo all of the hair.

Lastly the biggest disappointment in this figure for me is that one simply does not have a good Bormir (disappointing for me because Gimli is not one of my faves, just like Boromir so I could have skipped but now it just makes sense to complete the fellowship). However that portrait is just not salvageable, I wish someone would make a custom head.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the "chainmail" -- its very stiff and difficult to shape and hold a pose; it also crinkles up oddly at the elbows. Once wrinkled I imagine it runs the risk of cracking.

Yeah, agree with this - it's really my only major complaint. While it's not an exact match either, I think a material like the stuff that was used for ThreeZero's Hound figure would have worked better.

Again, pending a non full review, I think Asmus has really turned a corner with this figure. without examining it closely on first place.

First off the paint and plastic quality is something I've only seen once before on thier second Laura portrait. A slight translucent PCV with more subtle apps and shading applied. Very promising for future releases.

The Beard looks good. I was worried about the sewn in around the cheek but its pretty well disguised.

the hair was the one thing that had me worried. it looked a little fake and cheap but it could be just that it needed futzing.

I plan to put a matte pomade the beard and hair which will get it to look a bit less plasticy. This is standard practice for me for all of my right from the manufacturer real hair that I don't gut and redo myself. You can use anything at the drug store so long as its not garbage quality. Good ones don't leave a gray film. The one I use which is the stuff I use in my own hair is Fatboy pomade perfect putty. It really cuts that shine right down and adds a bit more weight without making it look wet or clump together.

after that we will see what or if I do anything, most likely I will glue on top some straggles over the mustache and beard where it meets the skin for a more realistic look but I doubt I'll gut and redo the whole thing. I may however redo all of the hair.

Lastly the biggest disappointment in this figure for me is that one simply does not have a good Bormir (disappointing for me because Gimli is not one of my faves, just like Boromir so I could have skipped but now it just makes sense to complete the fellowship). However that portrait is just not salvageable, I wish someone would make a custom head.

Makes me happy seeing you happy about a figure! I agree about Boromir, it would be great to have a custom head. Maybe I'll give him a shot at any point, but I don't think it will be soon.

Definitely nice to hear that Ray is satisfied.

Yeah, agree with this - it's really my only major complaint. While it's not an exact match either, I think a material like the stuff that was used for ThreeZero's Hound figure would have worked better.

Definitely. If I could undo the rubber belt contraption I might even consider using whatever chainmail I used on my old Gimli bash as a replacement. In this case, having the authentic look on this material is not as good as poseable material that isn't accurate. But maybe its futzable in some way.

Great close-up picture. Have you tried to lower the head yet? I can't get back to Gimli for a bit but I'm wondering if shoving the head socket deeper or cutting it down some so it will sit deeper is a fix.

Mine just arrived in customs so hopefully I will have it sometime next week. Can’t wait! Thanks for all of the first impressions. I was worried about how this one would turn out but from the pictures and reviews it sounds like it turned out pretty good, maybe even great.

Back