Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's especially impressive because they really didn't have to go the extra mile and put the leather chin strap and buckle on there. I'm sure nobody would have noticed if they'd just gone with a straight plastic helmet. But the fact that the helmet is multi-media is way above and beyond as far as I'm concerned. Fantastic work, Asmus!

Yeah, Gimli looks to be their pride-and-joy project here. First ever 1/6th version (you can't include the Toy-Biz version, come on).

I wonder if Asmus will begin 'alternate versions' now that the Fellowship is complete? You know, Orc versions of Sam and Frodo, ROTK Aragorn, etc.

I know Arwen looks to be next, but I'm still hoping for Lurtz and Grima Wormtongue sometime soon. Love my villains, and its been quite some time since we've had one.

Yeah, Gimli looks to be their pride-and-joy project here. First ever 1/6th version (you can't include the Toy-Biz version, come on).

I wonder if Asmus will begin 'alternate versions' now that the Fellowship is complete? You know, Orc versions of Sam and Frodo, ROTK Aragorn, etc.

I know Arwen looks to be next, but I'm still hoping for Lurtz and Grima Wormtongue sometime soon. Love my villains, and its been quite some time since we've had one.
ROTK Aragorn is out. I messaged them last week asking. Their response was
Screenshot_20180628-181553_Messenger.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That’s too bad. I was hoping they would get to a Helms Deep version and then a ROTK one latter on. I thought he sold through pretty well too. I do not remember him going on clearance anywhere.

That’s too bad. I was hoping they would get to a Helms Deep version and then a ROTK one latter on. I thought he sold through pretty well too. I do not remember him going on clearance anywhere.

They might have not made as much profit as they wanted? Maybe a hassle with the expansions.

Debacle? I can't remember ACI Aragorn being scorned... I own it, and it is really OK. I have also bought original Asmus Aragorn and will be taking the best of both worlds to make my own.

But did Asmus actually win? How? Personally, I hated the original sculpt, and ACI's rooted hair was quite OK...

Best,
m.

Aragorn came out during that whole debacle with ACI's Aragorn. Even though I think Asmus ultimately won, maybe it left a sour taste in their' mouth.

Aragorn came out during that whole debacle with ACI's Aragorn. Even though I think Asmus ultimately won, maybe it left a sour taste in their' mouth.

ACI's Aragorn face was better IMHO.

Also, we did get Skully and Grishnákh from them, and I'm very happy with those choices, as even Weta nor Sideshow made those incarnations. They could always make Gorbag.

Back on topic, I am delighted that Asmus is adding detail like Gimli's Helm when it wasn't called for.

So looking forward to getting an amazing looking Gimli and completing the Fellowship Nine. Any figures after that are icing on the cake.

As for Black Gate Aragorn, some time ago, I picked up the Art Figures "The King". It's a really good figure with a "meh" head sculpt. But that was corrected by picking up the Asmus Aragorn sculpt to replace it. I haven't been able to set it up yet, but if anyone is on the fence, I highly recommend going that route.

Debacle? I can't remember ACI Aragorn being scorned... I own it, and it is really OK. I have also bought original Asmus Aragorn and will be taking the best of both worlds to make my own.

But did Asmus actually win? How? Personally, I hated the original sculpt, and ACI's rooted hair was quite OK...

Debacle was a poor word choice on my part. What I meant was "the competition" that ensued between the Aragorns (as well as the Nazgul), and many here seem to go back and forth in terms of who was better. There was also all that speculation that Asmus was losing the license.

Seemed like most people finally swung around over time to the Asmus Aragorn -- which I personally believe is better -- at least judging by collections as I never see that ACI in a line-up anymore. To me, the ACI looked a bit glam for Aragorn.

Likely if you have both you can make the ultimate Aragorn.

Best,
m.

Yea I've seen the Asmus Aragorn futzed and the ACI Aragorn futzed and the Asmus one blows the ACI one away.

Debacle was a poor word choice on my part. What I meant was "the competition" that ensued between the Aragorns (as well as the Nazgul), and many here seem to go back and forth in terms of who was better. There was also all that speculation that Asmus was losing the license.

Seemed like most people finally swung around over time to the Asmus Aragorn -- which I personally believe is better -- at least judging by collections as I never see that ACI in a line-up anymore. To me, the ACI looked a bit glam for Aragorn.

Likely if you have both you can make the ultimate Aragorn.

I am hoping to do the mix (at least the comparison) next week.
I'll get pictures for you all. You might change my mind, since I definitely prefer what I have seen from the ACI figure (I have already sold both the body and the head; I still have the base and boots up for grabs, but at least I have already seen the stuff up-close). I still have to get and open the Asmus one, though.

So looking forward to getting an amazing looking Gimli and completing the Fellowship Nine. Any figures after that are icing on the cake.

As for Black Gate Aragorn, some time ago, I picked up the Art Figures "The King". It's a really good figure with a "meh" head sculpt. But that was corrected by picking up the Asmus Aragorn sculpt to replace it. I haven't been able to set it up yet, but if anyone is on the fence, I highly recommend going that route.

I thing to have heard of quality problems with that fig.... Have you encountered any?

Regards,
m.

Could it be the difficulty in getting everyone on board with a sculpt? Vigo has one of those faces...the "generic prettyboy" that's difficult to get right. Take a look at Trek and how many mediocre Kirk sculpts there are out there. I know the QMX one went through dozens of revisions just to get where it was.

As far as the Art Figures "King" - I have one. It's actually a pretty high quality piece. I like it a lot - it's just that the sculpt looks nothing like Viggo, even when squinting. Replacing it with an Asmus head will probably look pretty great.

I didn't even think of doing it because, well, he isn't what I'd consider an "iconic" look for the character.

Back