Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi - 1/6th scale Darth Vader™ Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I thought mine was broken too because I had tried a half-dozen different USB-C cables and power sources around the house (Apple ones, Anker ones, PS5 ones, unlabeled ones). What finally worked were these short skinny charging cables that came bundled with some LED photography lights I had purchased. If Hot Toys are going to build electronics that are so particular about what cable is required - then they ought to include a damn cable.

View attachment 701855
yea, the only cable I have that works with this and the DX Bespin Luke base is a random USB-C cable that came with a beard trimmer :lol

So not just any USB-C cable will work...? What a dumb thing to sell for $400.

Any long cables work? Or just short ones?

Yeah I thought mine was broken too because I had tried a half-dozen different USB-C cables and power sources around the house (Apple ones, Anker ones, PS5 ones, unlabeled ones). What finally worked were these short skinny charging cables that came bundled with some LED photography lights I had purchased. If Hot Toys are going to build electronics that are so particular about what cable is required - then they ought to include a damn cable.

View attachment 701855
Exact same thing happened to me...

I thought I had a bad base initially too, but then I started reading about the level of finicky these Hot Toys USB powered units exhibit and thought maybe there's still hope. But I hadn't actually tried any cord experiments yet until just now when I read your post. Grabbed one of the lighting units you recommended I try out, Span, and tried one of the cables that it was packaged with (pretty much the exact same cable you have picture above).

Success!

The base lit up beautifully! This led me to wonder if it's the cord length, or possibly the outlet box (butt) that is at issue.

My first try was with a USB C to C cable (meaning both ends of the long chord had C-type plug-in faces) and the outlet box took a C-type input. That failed to work.

The cord you have pictured above is one of the older USB A-type heads that goes into the adapter box, and a C-type end that goes into the Hot Toys base. So, I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder if a longer cord would work as long as the end of the cord going into the adapter box is A-type.

I'll test this theory out eventually, but at the moment I don't have a long cord with those specs. But if anyone else wants to give it a try, please report your findings here!

IMG_2659.jpeg

Last edited:
The cord you have pictured above is one of the older USB A-type head that goes into the adapter box, and a C-type end that goes into the Hot Toys base. So, I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder if a longer cord would work as long as the end of the cord going into the adapter box is A-type.
That's a good observation! The one I've used that works is C on one end and A at the other. I don't have a longer one of the same type to try out though.

The issue I have is that cables are too thick to run out of an Apextime display case.

Got mine yesterday after over a year wait and a few delayed emails. Great figure but I'll admit that the wait really took the shine off.
Also, no time to set up yet. Too much grading!

Attachments

• IMG_9152.jpeg
    IMG_9152.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9153.jpeg
    10.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9155.jpeg
    IMG_9155.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9157.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Got mine yesterday after over a year wait and a few delayed emails. Great figure but I'll admit that the wait really took the shine off.
Also, no time to set up yet. Too much grading!
My hype has slowly been dying too, it’s my first Vader though, so i’m really looking forward to having it in hand.

So not just any USB-C cable will work...? What a dumb thing to sell for $400.

Any long cables work? Or just short ones?
Not sure if its the length or having vintage USB on the opposite end or if it’s just that it has to be a dumb low-voltage cable (basically the least capable usb-c cable conceivable). I think @QuiGonFishing has a better handle on it than me!

Exact same thing happened to me...

I thought I had a bad base initially too, but then I started reading about the level of finicky these Hot Toys USB powered units exhibit and thought maybe there's still hope. But I hadn't actually tried any cord experiments yet until just now when I read your post. Grabbed one of the lighting units you recommended I try out, Span, and tried one of the cables that it was packaged with (pretty much the exact same cable you have picture above).

Success!

The base lit up beautifully! This led me to wonder if it's the cord length, or possibly the outlet box (butt) that is at issue.

My first try was with a USB C to C cable (meaning both ends of the long chord had C-type plug-in faces) and the outlet box took a C-type input. That failed to work.

The cord you have pictured above is one of the older USB A-type heads that goes into the adapter box, and a C-type end that goes into the Hot Toys base. So, I haven't tried this yet, but I wonder if a longer cord would work as long as the end of the cord going into the adapter box is A-type.

I'll test this theory out eventually, but at the moment I don't have a long cord with those specs. But if anyone else wants to give it a try, please report your findings here!

View attachment 702041
I bet it’s a matter of if a USB-C cable is on the longer side, then it also likely supports all of the things like data and higher voltages that make it not work with the crappy Hot Toys electronics. What’s really obnoxious is that any cable seems to work fine with the figure itself.

I had purchased mainly for parts but because of the suit design I don't think I can really use anything to upgrade my ANH figure (wanted to upgrade the pants and top pleather bits). Might just sell the whole thing or part it out.

If I may be so bold to add: This figure feels so much lighter than all the previous versions of DV I owned. (ANH, ESB) The suit is also nothing like the prior versions.It just looks and fits way better.

My fear was that I was rebuying ESB DV with a few gimmicks with this release. Not at all the case.

I had purchased mainly for parts but because of the suit design I don't think I can really use anything to upgrade my ANH figure (wanted to upgrade the pants and top pleather bits). Might just sell the whole thing or part it out.
I have the suit and some loose parts on the way, but i'm curious to know if the suit is indeed a Nylon/other material?

Back