Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rooted all the way.

Sculpted beard would limit the articulation too much and in general, doesn't look nice anyways.
Would accept sculpted hair, as it wouldn't be noticeable under the helmet.

Long time stalker here and Huge Gimli fan. As long as we dont see the figure either sculpted or rooted or both, its hard to say which one would be better. Since he will have his helmet the hair itself shouldnt be that important as the beard. For the beard i would vote for rooted if all the braids and everything will look perfect.
How tall is he going to be?
The stunt guy for John-Rhys Davies was 1.47m tall, which would convert in 1/6 to at least 24(144 cm)-24.5cm (147 cm), the beard itself should be around 7 cm long whether rooted or sculpted.
If we could take a look at the head we could decide easier the question.
Oh and would love to see if possible all of his axes with him. ( Battle axe, Bearded axe, Walking axe and the 2 throwing axes) :)

I would like the beard to be sculpted for both the sake of consistency (or are rooted beard Gandalf and Saruman upgrades in the works?), long-term upkeep, and appearance (I don't think the design of Gimli's beard could be mass produced). I'm guessing the hair on his head would be rooted because you'd need two sculpted heads (one with helmet and one without) to do it right.

Gimli didn't turn his head much from what I can remember (also from checking pics online), so not being able to pose him looking over his shoulder doesn't matter much to me.

That is an AMAZING job on the hair and beard, but that face looks scary as *****k!

It's the same ToyBiz head I have on my custom Gimli, but a more sympathetic paint-job makes him look a lot less like a serial killer leprechaun!!!

View attachment 347546

Totally love it, though - it reminds me of the 70's paintings by the Brothers Hildebrandt

I think rooted hair is a must. But as for the beard I would be fine if it was sculpted. I do think it would be awesome if you could pull off a rooted beard though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say, contact Elvis and ask (paid consultant) him how he did it. With Asmus' sculpt and Elvis' technique, Gimli would be perfect.

My guess is Elvis' "technique" would be too time-intensive to adapt for a mass produced figure.

rooted hair and beard. I did it for my own custom , It feels much more realistic

I'll just put that here.

FB_IMG_1499909833532.jpg

Back