Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have to request sculpted hair ,
rooted, well.. that's just looks rooted

and it will not fit in with the rest of the line as you have a mix of sculpted and rooted
my personal preference, and I am just excited to see him either way :)

Rooted if possible. Elvis did a great custom with rooted hair. I know it's different when trying to do on a mass production level but would be cool

Gimli almost complete. Need to add a touch of weathering here and there.
He has now his real chainmail. The chainmail is done by a french guy who do awesome work. Handmade and really impressive.

IMG_0809_zps3099cf86.jpg

IMG_0810_zps648a96f5.jpg

IMG_0813_zps1b1951a8.jpg

IMG_0814_zps256cc9dd.jpg

IMG_0818_zps91d5f92c.jpg

Now that looks fantastic and shows how rooted hair done right will elevate a figure to the next level -- from toy to work of art. My preference is rooted hair and beard. I know there are those who will always prefer sculpted, so maybe the best solution is to offer both. It comes down to execution. I'd be fine with paying a premium for rooted as long as it's done well.

I would prefer sculpted or at least the option like you did with Boromir. The issue I have is consistency within the line. Right now it looks like outside of Gandalf you can have each figure with sculpted hair. If you are trying for the rooted look Gandalf, Legolas and the hobbits will not fully match. Personally I would prefer the figure to come with both headsculpts even if that adds to the cost I have to pay.

Clearly the world has changed and rooted hair is the new craze. :lol

That said, I again ask if it is possible to see a sample of the rooted beard that Asmus has been working on. I think its better to make a decision when its informed.

Why not offer two sculpts?
I'd love to own both head sculpts. One with sculpted beard and one with rooted hair. But I definitely am not a fan of mixed. I thought the mixed hair of Tauriel didnt look good.

Just show us what you got so far Asmus. Gandalf the Grey looks okay with mixed rooted and sculpted hair.

Rooted all the way around. It is possible, it just might take a little extra time. If it turns out awesome, it'll definitely be worth the wait. A plastic beard, and long hair, looks like just that: Plastic. While Gandalf and Sauraman are pretty good figures, they would have been better with real hair for the beards.

Rooted if possible. Elvis did a great custom with rooted hair. I know it's different when trying to do on a mass production level but would be cool

That's pretty epic work. So kidnap member Elvis1976 and clone him a few times until your factory is filled. Problem solved!

That is an AMAZING job on the hair and beard, but that face looks scary as *****k!

It's the same ToyBiz head I have on my custom Gimli, but a more sympathetic paint-job makes him look a lot less like a serial killer leprechaun!!!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Clearly the world has changed and rooted hair is the new craze. :lol

It doesn't seem that long ago that people were making fun of the ACI Aragorn for rooted hair. Now everyone in this section is like "ROOTED HAIR PLZ!!!"

Rooting technology has definitely gotten batter since ACI's aragorn. With certain companies heading the use of it. Hot toys, Threezero, Asmus have all been using it to great effect. Some with better results than others. ACI was just a little too ahead of the curve and released their aragorn with hair that quickly became substandard by today's quality expectations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But yes I would prefer gimli with some rooted and some plastic actually. Similar to what they did with Tauriel but hopefully it could be executed better for his beard. It would certainly be a feat though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rooted all the way! Also I like those references of braided hair. It remains to be seen what Dany from GOT will look like but I have her on pre-order. I should pick up an extra Legolas head and extra Dany head and see if I can transplant her scalp onto his somehow.

First Choice: BOTH! I will happily pay more money for two versions of the head.

But if it must be one or the other ...

Second Choice: WHICHEVER LOOKS BETTER. I have no allegiance to rooted or sculpted, but I do want the best looking version of the character possible.

Thank you SO MUCH for asking, Asmus! Seriously! :clap

Chiming in for sculpted. Haven't seen a mass-produced rooted beard that's worked well yet, and comparing to customs which take hours of work to complete a single figure doesn't make sense. Star Ace switched from rooted to sculpted beards on both Dumbledores and they look way better. Use soft plastic, push the limits of stranding detail and shape accuracy, really match the color to the hair and it will be great, I would think. Plus maybe a covered-in-beer option :)

Back