Asmus Toys : Aragorn thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frodo and Sam were among the better LOTR figures that Sideshow released, so they're going to be low priority for Asmus. I'd still like to see them all redone because I think they can all be done better.
Exactly. I think that sculptwice they were not bat, but painting is poor, and Frodo with Sam are really prominent characters. If they make other hobbits, why not these?

I would love to see the hobbits revisited. SS Frodo and Sam are... "ok"... but they really need to be updated. And yes... we need Pipin and Merry... I think we'd all love to have a full set of the Fellowship... I know I would!!

I didn't think Legolas was on Asmus' short-list, but he's already on the way, so there may be hope for a new Frodo and Sam somewhere down the line. As long as Asmus is procuring/developing a hobbit body for Merry and Pippin, it wouldn't be a stretch to make the others, maybe even do double-packs: a Merry & Pippin set and a Frodo and Sam set.

I definitely would like to see Frodo and Sam revisited. Especially if they're making/using a new body.

Now, I like my Sideshow Frodo and Sam. I really do. I still have them displayed. And yes, they were some of the best LOTR figures Sideshow made ... but there's room for improvement and I'd like to see what Asmus can do. The scale is still way off on the SS hobbits and I'd love to see Asmus take the opportunity to fix things this time around.

I just don't think it's a good idea for Asmus to aim for making their hobbits the same size as Sideshow's. This is the opportunity to make things right. It doesn't make a ton of sense to knowingly make the same mistakes SS made.

I understand not wanting to immediately repeat the figures that Sideshow made, but with Aragorn and Legolas already in the pipeline (and at least a stated plan to do Gandalf the Grey) that's already half of the six members of the Fellowship that Sideshow managed to make. With all the other figures they're producing, I'm not really fussed about repeats. And it's fine with me if they want to do Gimli, Merry and Pippin first, but I still would like them to do a properly scaled Frodo and Sam, too.

Just my two cents.

Agreed, I'd still prefer the Hobbits to be "Halflings". Considering they could do five hobbits I would not be surprised to see them do new bodies. But if not I will just pick up the Sideshow hobbits and live with it.

I definitely would like to see Frodo and Sam revisited. Especially if they're making/using a new body.

Now, I like my Sideshow Frodo and Sam. I really do. I still have them displayed. And yes, they were some of the best LOTR figures Sideshow made ... but there's room for improvement and I'd like to see what Asmus can do. The scale is still way off on the SS hobbits and I'd love to see Asmus take the opportunity to fix things this time around.

I just don't think it's a good idea for Asmus to aim for making their hobbits the same size as Sideshow's. This is the opportunity to make things right. It doesn't make a ton of sense to knowingly make the same mistakes SS made.

I understand not wanting to immediately repeat the figures that Sideshow made, but with Aragorn and Legolas already in the pipeline (and at least a stated plan to do Gandalf the Grey) that's already half of the six members of the Fellowship that Sideshow managed to make. With all the other figures they're producing, I'm not really fussed about repeats. And it's fine with me if they want to do Gimli, Merry and Pippin first, but I still would like them to do a properly scaled Frodo and Sam, too.

Just my two cents.

I can understand that. However as figures get smaller doing accurate clothing becomes much more difficult. I know there are some iconic photos from LotR, but the scale really was all over the place from shot to shot. So I'm okay with the size of the SSC hobbits, and would like to see something similar from Asmus unless they can truly make the clothes as nice at a smaller size. I'm only concerned with Dwarves being slighty larger.

The sculpt looks so much better.kudos to the sculptor!
And yes, hints of Tauriel and hopefully Thranduil if Facebook today was anything to go buy with a new poster of Thranduil from the Battle of the 5 Armies.

WAIT WHAT? THRANDUIL?

:panic::panic::panic:

I can understand that. However as figures get smaller doing accurate clothing becomes much more difficult. I know there are some iconic photos from LotR, but the scale really was all over the place from shot to shot. So I'm okay with the size of the SSC hobbits, and would like to see something similar from Asmus unless they can truly make the clothes as nice at a smaller size. I'm only concerned with Dwarves being slighty larger.

That's true. Half the time Elijah Wood and Sean Astin were just kneeling or standing in a hole next to human-sized characters! :lol

But I'd still like the hobbits to be a little smaller. I don't think the size of the clothes would be too much of an issue, though. The hobbits wouldn't have to be a lot smaller than the Sideshow ones. Maybe an inch or so.

The SS hobbit bodies would work pretty perfectly for the dwarves ...

Please elaborate on Thranduil!
Since no one else is answering. I don't remember word for word but the gist is they posted a pic of Thranduil and asked if it would make a good figure. My personal opinion is, and I've stated it before is that I worry they are taking on too much right now. I think they should leave The Hobbit alone right now and revisit it down the road. That's just my opinion though.

Personally I'd like to get every Lord of the Rings figure they put out there or at least be able to get it. Right now the flow of is okay but it is real close to becoming too much for me to get everything. 3 - 4 regular figures a year and one combo (like Ring Wraith and horse) is about my limit and at that limit I really have to focus on just Middle Earth stuff and almost give up Marvel, DC, Star Wars etc. Now there are plenty of people with bigger hobby budgets than me but the more quantity the harder it will be for at least some of us to get it all.

I get the impression they'd like to be pumping out stuff more quickly than they have been. I think they once mentioned wanting to do a figure a month. Personally, I think that's too much for me. I don't think I could keep up with that pace financially. 4-6 figures a year (including a combo set) would be good for me.

Plus, if they're churning out figures that quickly, that also doesn't leave a lot of time to fix things should they need fixing.

The Thranduil thing seemed more like a tease, really. I doubt they'll make him to be honest. Dunno if he's popular enough. I think I'll be purchasing the Weta statue.

The Weta statue of Aragorn doesn't look like Viggo at all. One may think that they have all the resources.....

Personally I'd like to get every Lord of the Rings figure they put out there or at least be able to get it. Right now the flow of is okay but it is real close to becoming too much for me to get everything. 3 - 4 regular figures a year and one combo (like Ring Wraith and horse) is about my limit and at that limit I really have to focus on just Middle Earth stuff and almost give up Marvel, DC, Star Wars etc. Now there are plenty of people with bigger hobby budgets than me but the more quantity the harder it will be for at least some of us to get it all.

I want all I can get as long as they're nice. I'd rather they took the time they needed to get things right. Actually, if they play it like Sideshow with Star Wars figures, they can do one figure that relies on the sculpt, then one that doesn't, like an Orc, Goblin, Uruk-hai, etc. Sideshow always throws in something with a sculpt after several that don't, like clones.

If they get that Lee Pace sculpt down, I'll be all over it.

Oh, for sure. I'm just highly skeptical that we'll ever see it happen tbh. He's not really a very big character. Could be a risky choice.

You mean like Gothmog or Guritz :D - I guess he is having a lot more fans than those guys (love the figures by the way). And depending on how much screentime he gets in the last movie, I do believe he might get quite popular.

Back