Asmus Toys 1:6 - Saruman the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Asmus Toys : Saruman the white thread

This figure shows how rooted hair can look good. Especially if it's straight. Easy to manage, and looks great if rooted properly. Not sure what material they're using though.

2dea84a5e2412d01fb71e91da0981d74.jpg

Looks great... A few tweaks Darklord Dave mentioned and it'd be perfect.

If the real hair can get close to the pic by Chrono above, rooted would be the way to go.

Yes,
with Gandalf the Grey purchase.
No plan for Gandalf the white 2.0

and please keep your Gandalf the white,
you will need it to get the new head for free.
Would be even better (for those of us not wanting 2 Gandalfs on our shelf) to be able to purchase the new headsculpt by itself. What say you Asmus?

Whoa, the improvements to Saruman are really looking good. The asymmetrical eye sockets add a lot of character. And the lower lip looks pretty much on-point to me.

10103-25574.gif

Fantastic! And I'm down for wanting rooted. It just makes sense with Saruman.
Keep it up, asmus! Love this!

THX guys,
thats see if we can get a painted sample of Saruman head first thing in 2015~

With that great fight scene in Five Armies...this makes for a cool addition to the line!! Thanks ASMUS!!

With that great fight scene in Five Armies...this makes for a cool addition to the line!! Thanks ASMUS!!

Some of the Nazgul from that scene would be amazing!

Holy freaking crap!!! This looks bloody amazing! I am so excited to pre order this!!!

Yes,
with Gandalf the Grey purchase.
No plan for Gandalf the white 2.0

and please keep your Gandalf the white,
you will need it to get the new head for free.

Whoaaa, that's a game changer. Now I have to consider Gandalf the White. I didn't know this was in the works :panic:

I think the sculpt looks great, one of my most wanted figures from any line. Super stoked about this.

I think rooted can work really well. The newer hi-end releases with it are night and day from the older figures I have. It seems that gel and/or pomade use before shipping has made a big difference. The Avengers Black Widow came out of the box excellently styled and has not had any loss of shape or look on display since she was released. If that level of quality can be pulled off (which should be even easier with long straight hair) then I am all for it. Sculpted hair really limits any movement of the head and therefore realistic action poses.

Would be cool if you included the Palantír of Orthanc as an accessory (especially if you can do something inventive with the eye in the center of the sphere but I'll take it basically as a marble if at all).

Just had another look at the photos. I actually prefer the beard in the first sculpt...

Are you going to include the wonky little finger? The one that Errol Flynn virtually severed in a sword fight with Christopher Lee?

I'm not suggesting it be included as a separate acccessory mind you....

Asmus, I am watching two towers and going over other references and I def think you need to revise to the original beard.. His facial hair was a lot straighter and well groomed than I thought. It's not curly like the revised sculpt. I think if you fix it to be straighter again you'll also have an easier time blending the look of the sculpted beard and the rooted hair. Anyone else agree? I don't want to be the only one suggesting this. But it's pretty critical if we want this changed to tell them now!

Yes, the curly beard must be staightened again. SS does the same mistake on the Saruman PF and is being heavily critized for it. Please Asmus, be wiser here!

Asmus, I am watching two towers and going over other references and I def think you need to revise to the original beard.. His facial hair was a lot straighter and well groomed than I thought. It's not curly like the revised sculpt. I think if you fix it to be straighter again you'll also have an easier time blending the look of the sculpted beard and the rooted hair. Anyone else agree? I don't want to be the only one suggesting this. But it's pretty critical if we want this changed to tell them now!

I'll second it. Just checked all the references I could find and not a one had the wavy beard at all. I think that was definitely a step in the wrong direction. When looking at the original sculpt I didn't look at the beard at all.

Saruman-Christopher-Lee.jpg

saruman-beard.jpg

Last edited:

Asmus.. don't get us wrong.. please let the artist know the curly beard is a very masterful and detailed sculpt... unfortunately this character does not have a curly stylized beard.... with that beard he almost makes me think of Zeus...:) Again, great job but not right for Saruman.... but if your going with rooted hair for the beard it dose not really matter....

Last edited:

The bear is def wrong.

I'm glad someone spoke up about the beard. I wholeheartedly agree it needs to be straighter.

Back