Asmus Toys 1:6 - Saruman the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Asmus Toys : Saruman the white thread

attachment.php

Griffin_Saruman.jpg

Looks pretty damn good.

Maybe if anything a bit more of a hawk nose.

I get why people don't like rooted hair, but Saruman is the perfect character for it. It's just long, straight and wispy, so it could look great. Looking forward to seeing Saruman. Very nice sculpt.

Exactly! Straight hair, center part. No futzing required!

Great looking sculpt, by the way! Love the exposed teeth!

But, as Wor-Gar says, maybe just a bit more of a hook in his nose would be perfect!

Yes, rooted hair is a definite must for this guy. And he was SO cool in BotFA - I'll be posing him from that film rather than LotR.

This sculpt is fantastic and I'd be happy with it as is. However if you really want feedback...

It appears the mouth on the sculpt is too large and the lips too full. Also the bags under his eyes on the sculpt are too symmetrical. They are really different shapes and sizes. And I didn't circle it, but the eyes are too small I think.

saruman2.jpg

saruman3.jpg

I agree. And sculpted hair at this length will only limit the poseability of the head.

The challenge will be to get white hair that looks like aged hair rather than white filament.

Saruman is a definite purchase for me regardless.

There's 2 big issue about rooted hair:

1) the strand is too thick for the figure. the scale of the figure is 1/6 but the hair's not. so it kills the authenticity.

2) with a sculpted facial hair it looks really mismatched.

They are not toys for us. They are our collectibles. We're not playing with them. Just giving a pose and keeping it. If we talk for Saruman, a very dynamic pose won't be needed and match with character's nature. They can use a more flexible material but no rooted hair.

If truth be told, which company use rooted hair won't have a very bright future on that line. Sorry.

Just giving a pose and keeping it. If we talk for Saruman, a very dynamic pose won't be needed and match with character's nature.

You haven't seen BOFA yet, have you? :)
Also, if I wanted to keep something in a static posed, I'd buy a statue. I like being able to move figures around. I think the rooted hair is a good move. I agree it needs to have finer strands and be realistically colored so it doesn't look bad. But I'm hoping Asmus can do that.

There's 2 big issue about rooted hair:

1) the strand is too thick for the figure. the scale of the figure is 1/6 but the hair's not. so it kills the authenticity.

2) with a sculpted facial hair it looks really mismatched.

They are not toys for us. They are our collectibles. We're not playing with them. Just giving a pose and keeping it. If we talk for Saruman, a very dynamic pose won't be needed and match with character's nature. They can use a more flexible material but no rooted hair.

If truth be told, which company use rooted hair won't have a very bright future on that line. Sorry.

Thank you for the opinion.

I will let the designing team know about the feedback.

I believe we can do prototype first,
before we finalize it and present to the publics.
we can try both rooted and sculpt

and we vote for it here~

io lo trovo gia ben fatto e promette benissimo,grande asmus!!!

we can try both rooted and sculpt

and we vote for it here~

That would be AWESOME! Thanks for even considering this, way to go Asmus!!!

I usually prefer sculpted hair, but I'm open to see the results of the different approaches.

This is looking very good!
I think DD's feedback basically nails it.
Great work Asmus.

I think rooted hair is the ONLY way to go with this. Perhaps even try rooted hair for the beard?

I think rooted hair is the ONLY way to go with this. Perhaps even try rooted hair for the beard?

One of the concerns I have is if some have rooted hair and some have sculpted, how well will they display together. I prefer sculpted because that is what I am used to but i am not closed off to the idea.

One of the concerns I have is if some have rooted hair and some have sculpted, how well will they display together. I prefer sculpted because that is what I am used to but i am not closed off to the idea.

Yes,
We had many concerns regarding the consistency too.
Black Widow didnt break this consistency most of the photos with the rest of the Avengers.
so we gave Eowyne a shot.

Like Darklord Dave said,
some characters are best done in root hair.
Most of us in the company are actually against rooted hair,
It is a messy method and hard to control.

Even for Tauriel, we had all the hair sculpted to start with.

IMG_7353.JPG

wow, Tauriel's hair does look gorgeous sculpted.

Yes,
Black Widow didnt break this consistency most of the photos with the rest of the Avengers.

Like Darklord Dave said,

View attachment 154588

Wow, Asmus, that sculpted hair for Tauriel was gorgeous...

Those sculpted hair would be perfect if we were buying statues. But I believe straight hair would look good rooted. I look forward to some Uruk-Hais and Sauron (if they're ever doing him). But damn. Saruman would be awesome with a Gandalf the Grey. Always loved Grey Gandalf for some reason. Not sure why....

Yes,

Like Darklord Dave said,

View attachment 154588

I would like to see a comparison pic between the pic posted here and the back of the Tauriel you have as the prototype if at all possible.

NOOOOOOOO! Please no rooted hair. NOOOOOO! Do not screw up this sculpt and character! Begging you.

Rooted hair is bad news. Why oh why do that?

Back