Apatosaurus Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the pieces I can think of all came in one piece. There are a few exceptions that come to mind and obviously the switch out head and hands come to mind as well. The big difference between any of those and this is that the seams were hidden by clothing, or were a part of the outfit where a seam will blend better. For instance Anakin's arm and lightsaber were not attached, but his sleeve covers up the attachment and Gambit's switch out head included the neck and chest piece and the seam is blocked by a raised part of his outfit. That one is hard to describe, but if you take a look at a pic of it you can probably figure out what I'm talking about.

With this I think it will be difficult to blend a seam since it is all polystone and smooth with no folds, ridges, or material that will block the seam or let it blend.

That's right. There are no shortcuts you can take with dinosaurs. Many of them have long tails and there's no way to cut them up without sacrificing the seamless look. Most statues being based on clothed characters, makes it painless to separate parts, in order to safeguard the statue and economize the packaging.

So, I guess we're going to have to live with the big boxes. :monkey2

I really have to say that this statue looks fantastic and this will be my first piece in the line and I hope they keep it going for a long time. Hopefully I can get some extra money soon so I can order the Spinosaurus looks great also.

I'd watch out for that thin tail. Thats gonna be the vital piece when it comes to withstanding the test of time.

Ordered! :yess: and only 10 dollars shipping:clap
The neck and tail must be removable because the box is only 25 inches long :rotfl

I noticed that too. :lol Well, it'll be interesting to see how noticeable it is. I'm guessing that would place the seam somewhere around the base of the tail.

But why haven't they posted Scar's awesome backstory yet? :pfft:

I think I can see the seam on the neck, I hope it isn't too noticeable in person.

I really have to say that this statue looks fantastic and this will be my first piece in the line and I hope they keep it going for a long time. Hopefully I can get some extra money soon so I can order the Spinosaurus looks great also.

How come this will be your first? You have some catching up to do!

I still think this is kinda small....I was hoping for somthing 4+ feet or something. Its mostly all tail, I wanted to see more bulk like the size of small dog or something. Then I MAY have ordered...

Chris

That neck seam where it joins the body looks really ugly. Your gonna see that from every angle every time you look at it. That would bugg the hell out of me.

Chris

I still think this is kinda small....I was hoping for somthing 4+ feet or something. Its mostly all tail, I wanted to see more bulk like the size of small dog or something. Then I MAY have ordered...

Chris

If you want something with more bulk, just get Shane Foulkes's 1:15 Apatosaurus. ;) 68" long and a bit bigger than a small dog. :D

Wouldn't it make more sense for the tail to be separate, though? Especially since it's the longer, presumably more fragile part.

That's what i'm saying. It wouldn't make sense to have both of them detach. The less seems we have, the better. ;)

Unless for a person who purchased / is going to purchase this, I don't think the seam issue is going to be so much of a problem...

I agree, except that the Dinosauria pieces don't seem to ever have a tight fit where needed. I'm mainly speaking of how the pieces fit onto the base. Most of the time they're hovering a little bit above the base.:(

That crease on the underside of the neck people are thinking is a seam, isn't. That's just a fold in the skin. If you look at the in-progress pic the actual seam is an inch or so forward of where that skin fold is, so that clearly isn't "the seam". There are no visible seams in the pictures they put up. Maybe if someone finds a hi-res picture you might spot a seam. But I'm sure sideshow completely finished/hid the seams on their demo model. We'll just have to wait and see if the final piece comes apart.

That said I'm not planning on getting this one anyway cause I have no nostalgic or emotional attachment to Apatasauruses-sies-si, however you say that, and it isn't a piece I find all that cool either. But I'm still curious how SSC is going to put it together because I just can't fathom them sending out packages that long for something so fragile. Congrats to anyone who is getting this big mutha though. :wave

That's good if its not a seam. The good thing is that if it is a seam, it's not that visible since I only see it in that one picture.

My guess is that if it is a seam, there is one on the tail as well. I think either both or neither will attach.

I wouldn't worry about it not fitting properly, I have a number of pieces where the figures don't fit flush on the base. I've never had a problem with an arm or hand not attaching properly.

I've been scrutinizing - well, admiring really - the high-res retailer photos, and I don't see any seams. But think about it, honestly. This is a professionally handcrafted prototype sculpture. It's very unlikely they would allow such a thing to be visible for the purposes of stock photography.

Back