Anyone else been priced out of this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly. Hot Toys is in HK and they have to pay more every time they raise the prices. It's not just the weakened American dollar. It's the the world economy and corporate greed.

Right! as your countries currency has lost its purchasing power aswell, since the American dollar is still considered the World's Reserve currency

which means your currency reflects off from the American US Dollar ;)

The economy sucks because of corporate greed yes,but the Economy also sucks because it takes MORE Federal Reserve notes to buy goods, while people's salaries stay the same....its hurting almost everyone

Alot of people blame corperate greed and I don't think thats the root cause, I think its more the governments greed, they overspend way outta control and refuse to cut back there spending and simply demand more revenue in way of higher taxes. There was a interesting study on if the us government was person, there finances would equate to a person who brings in 50,000.00 a year and spends 400,000.00:slap

What's not to get :cuckoo:

New stuff comes out all the time, do you ignore it or something...

Getting new stuff = adding

Yeah i do.

The collectibles have meaning for me, they aren't temporary fillers until the next version comes along. I buy to keep & only sell when i need money.

The revolving door way of collecting makes the hobby feel like a job... sell and get the new one to sell and get the latest one to sell and upgrade to the most recent one to sell and on and on.

I used to do it and then thought to myself 'Where does it end?', 'why should i bother to get this when a new one will be along?' & 'they obviously don't mean much to me if i don't intend to keep them'

So now i only get ones i know i'll keep and i end up appreciating them more that way :wink1:

:peace

^ why bother then in the first place? The new one you buy will just be sold off for the next newer one and again and again :dunno

Why bother? I don't know because it's my preference and that's how I like to keep my collection fresh.

What's the point of buying and buying where you horde and then you have a messy collection that you can't present nicely and it ends up looking like junk?

Well, to be honest, I've given a lot of items a shot in my collection. But some are built to last, and others were just mistakes or I grew tired of them or changed my collection focus. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

I will admit, rising aftermarket prices make it desirable to me to keep streamlining my collection. And lucrative too...

Well, to be honest, I've given a lot of items a shot in my collection. But some are built to last, and others were just mistakes or I grew tired of them or changed my collection focus. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

I will admit, rising aftermarket prices make it desirable to me to keep streamlining my collection. And lucrative too...

Exactly, I'd say 75% of the stuff I have, have been in my collection since almost day 1 and will probably never sell. The other 25%, I can do without. And then once it hits a certain aftermarket value, game over man.

I just feel like for me, and again this is just my personal philosophy that works for me, in order to keep this passion healthy, I refuse to horde and I refuse to spend anymore out-of-pocket expenses.

It works two-fold. My collection stays "fresh" and the aftermarket value of some of these pieces pays for the collection itself. And so far this philosophy has worked out perfectly for me.

regular releases are getting out of hand. I only pick up what i REALLY like.
But i got into the hobby because i like bashing and putting together my own figs. Most of the time i dont go over the $100 mark, and with so many custom sculpts out there, ive managed to put together figs that the big 1/6 companies wont touch..

i agree because im getting to the point of being priced out. i dont rotate but i've considered purchasing exclusives so i can use the profits to keep my collecting habit alive. i know the philosophy is split on that theme. for the most part im just very selective about what i collect and this has led me to pass on some pieces that i regret not getting but more than just being priced out im simply running out of space.

I won't say I've been priced out of the hobby. I've just come to the realization that I have a set limit in my mind what I will pay for something and I won't budge off of that. I could still be collecting Hot Toys but I refuse to pay their prices. I would love to have The Avengers on my shelves but can't justify the prices. For now I'll collect Soldier Story and Art Figures and am looking forward to seeing what Asmus Toys does with LOTR. If these companies raise their prices too much then I will most likely leave the hobby and not look back.

I thought I was the only one feeling this way. Hot Toys hasn't priced me out completely but I am really looking at what I buy now. I use to say to myself Ok it's Batman, Iron Man, etc I'm gonna get it. But now I've passed on a lot of figures asking myself, "Ok do I really need this?" I bought the Avengers Captain America but passed on Hawkeye (which I'm really regretting it now because the after market price is RIDICULOUS!! It's been out for a couple months now and it's already hitting the upper $200. WOW. So yeah I'm getting priced out.

I switched from Hot Toys to 3A because the prices were more reasonable and the style so different. Now they are slowly creeping up to and releasing stuff constantly. Quickly getting to the point that I can't afford the hobby either.

Yeah, I'm kind of priced out... but a lot of that has to do with having a 16-month old at home, another on the way, and living on one income vice two.

But it's worth it to have kids. :)

In the meantime, I'm selling and trading off the stuff that doesn't matter to me too much. It's always good to refocus anyway - you can only accumulate so much before it gets out of control.

As far as 1/6th stuff goes, it's GI Joe only for me, and even then, only the key characters. Lucky for me most of those have been done.

I'm completely out of Hot Toys. I think I might keep my Pred and T-800, but even those have their price...

Let's look at the REAL root of the problem....your pieces of paper (your Federal Reserve Notes) do not buy what it used to,as the Dollar has continually lost its purchasing power(has been for YEARS!) The more they print,the more they create money through lending creating debt,the more you'll see the purchasing power of the dollar destroyed!

Devalued Paper = INFLATION across the board...PERIOD! It's a simple fact (and just think,you get to work hard for that devalued piece of paper they call money)

and you havn't seen anything yet! expect higher prices in 1-2 years

But prices are rising for everyone... not just the US.

Right! as your countries currency has lost its purchasing power aswell, since the American dollar is still considered the World's Reserve currency

which means your currency reflects off from the American US Dollar ;)

The economy sucks because of corporate greed yes,but the Economy also sucks because it takes MORE Federal Reserve notes to buy goods, while people's salaries stay the same....its hurting almost everyone

So... This has nothing to do with China's rising economic status? Not to mention Brazil, Russia and India.

Face it guys, the rest of the world is catching up. Prices are bound to rise to some degree as formerly poorer countries purchasing powers rise and they're able to improve their standard of living.

So... This has nothing to do with China's rising economic status? Not to mention Brazil, Russia and India.

Face it guys, the rest of the world is catching up. Prices are bound to rise to some degree as formerly poorer countries purchasing powers rise and they're able to improve their standard of living.

but the US Dollar is still the world's reserve currency....and it is still the Dominant factor (for now) in the currency trade.China holds ALOT of US Debt....The reason for China's economic rise is because WE PRODUCE NOTHING and (most) everything is produced overseas for CHEAP labor

I'm getting to the point of not collecting as much. I looked on my BBTS account and saw I paid around $150 each for my DX02 and MMS117.

I'm not saying the price shouldn't have gone up because of better products, etc, but with figures now costing double that, i'm pretty much done unless something completely wows me.

Back