Anyone else been priced out of this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1:6 hobby for me has gotten more expensive overall, but I primarily focus on 1:6 female figure offerings in addition to the GI JOE line from SIDESHOW and the occasional one offs from HOT TOYS & other companies and a few specific PFs & statues from SIDESHOW.

I've read other collectors going through the same thing, but I ask the following . . .

Do you feel it's an entitlement/right to collect at an affordable price within the hobby?

The blunt, direct, & simple response to that is . . .

If you can't afford it, then pass on it. This hobby is a "want" and not necessarily a "need" (i.e. to live, etc.) such as a car, home, etc. It's a luxury.

Yes. Some collectors have been priced out of the hobby for a variety of reasons, but it somehow comes off like a "sour grapes" attitude.

Many of us still collect because we either have the necessary disposable income and/or make the necessary choices/decisions in how we continue to collect & enjoy the 1:6 hobby (or any hobby) within our means.

Like Khev stated . . . does it have to be an all or nothing deal/scenario?

If my financial situation changes (i.e. unemployment, unexpected financial situation, etc.) . . . I know where my priorities lie and the 1:6 hobby will take a back seat, but I'm not going to be bitter/sour grapes about it.

Given your circumstances, it sucks and I empathize and feel for you as a collector.

I see what you are saying, you make perfect sense. I think I was more taken aback, by how much the prices , mostly on the secondary market soared in the year I was away from this hobby. For example the Sideshow Han and Luke Stormtrooper figures are selling for about $800 on Ebay, and the crazy thing is that they ARE selling at those prices. Hot Toys Harvey Dent, is selling for over $600! It makes no sense for me to even try to have that figure back.

I think overall I was naive thinking I could buyback my collection, I knew the prices would go up, but not to the extent they did. Don't get me wrongI can still raise my kids and afford a few figures,but you are right, I might be a tad "sour grapes" :lol

A lot of people are saying ''I've been priced out...once I get X figure and Y figures I'm out''.

:lol

I'm one of them. Theres certain things that I feel like I really and truly want and will buy at what they force me to pay. But casual purchases are gone, now and in the future. It has to be a long-held want and even those may get wittled down.

This is me as well, really evaluating every purchase, making some cuts, contemplating where more cuts may come. I have no desire to own statues (well, I have one on PO, but it's a special thing - Elvira! Love her, and there just isn't much Elvira floating around, so this is a must have for me). Don't get things I "sorta like" or that are "kinda cool"; I must love it, should be something that makes me smile and feel glad every time I look at it. But at the new price points that are rolling in, it hinders my ability to "smile and feel good" when I look at a purchase. There's this nagging guilt over how much it cost. When it hits the point that the guilt eclipses the joy, that will be the time to bow out. And it seems to be coming sooner, rather than later. :monkey2

I see what you are saying, you make perfect sense. I think I was more taken aback, by how much the prices , mostly on the secondary market soared in the year I was away from this hobby. For example the Sideshow Han and Luke Stormtrooper figures are selling for about $800 on Ebay, and the crazy thing is that they ARE selling at those prices. Hot Toys Harvey Dent, is selling for over $600! It makes no sense for me to even try to have that figure back.

I think overall I was naive thinking I could buyback my collection, I knew the prices would go up, but not to the extent they did. Don't get me wrongI can still raise my kids and afford a few figures,but you are right, I might be a tad "sour grapes" :lol

It's selective though, not ALL things go up very high. I recently sold 2 figures for below retail because they weren't selling even for retail.

Dent probably sells to completionists with more money than sense.

I've been selective about what I buy since the beginning (2008 for me). But I've cut down my spending even more drastically. In the beginning I bought a few 1:6 figures just because I was new to the hobby and wanted to experience a variety of different types of figures (different manufacturers, genres, properties, etc.).

Now I only get what I absolutely love. I've narrowed my focus down to Indy and SW, and some Marvel--1:6 only. And even then I only get what is absolutely a must have within those properties (although Indy has become a non-issue).

I started out the first two years into 1:6 collecting averaging about one figure per month. Last year I only got 2 figures: Sideshow's Boba Fett and Tusken Raider. I even passed on HT Luke, which was a hard choice but deep down I knew the character simply didn't mean enough to me to spend the money.

Right now I only have HT Wolverine on pre-order, and am hoping to snag the Brothers Production Blade Runner Deckard this spring. I have a few others I have my eye on as possibilities, but I can easily let them pass if I don't have the money at the time of their release.

I have a really short list of absolute must-haves but most on that list haven't even been hinted at yet, so they are a long way off for me to worry about them right now.

And Khev made the best point. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Even getting just one per year is fine. It will also make that figure all the more special.

I don't know if this is being priced out but I won't buy "kinda cool looking figures" because I need to save that money for figures I want.
So if figures I want were more affordable then there would be a surplus of fund to make "casual" purchases.

I spend about as much as I ever have, I just get less for my money. Which I can live with cause its like that everywhere I go, grocery store, gas station, whatever. Such is life.

Pretty much sums it up... the quality of figures (and prices) have gone up, but with that less things I'm interested in are being released (or the release pace is slower) so I'm holding steady.

Pretty much sums it up... the quality of figures (and prices) have gone up, but with that less things I'm interested in are being released (or the release pace is slower) so I'm holding steady.

Figure-wise i'm the same. Statue-wise i'm all set for 2013, there are a few must-have characters i'd have to go for, but nearly all of them aren't known to even be in development.

while i'm not priced out, i'v certainly been reduced in what I buy.

sokay though, i've got a few "last gasp" hot toys figures. finishing out the avengers, Ada wong... that's basely it.

Sideshow is still affordable for now.. though if the prices continue to rise... they will probably price out most, if not all of the customer base.

that makes me wonder how long prices can continue to rise, before people simply stop buying all together.

Priced out no but like everyone else, just cutting back. When something new is announced I do the ol' cost-benefit analysis and if I don't find the value, it gets passed over.

One important thing I do is I (try) and never spend my "own money". I sell off the old to buy the new.

That's probably one of the most important things I can stress. Do not horde.

Spend about the same, getting a couple less figures than before.

Part of the reason is selection. The current offerings don't interest. $225 average HT prices made those maybe figures become pass figures.

Also have no interest in overpriced $500-1000 customs.

1/6 RAH GIJoe
1/6 DC
1/6 Miscellaneous figures like BD T800 and such.

All that interests me now.

Since I was a kid I loved comic books. Last year I found that I was spending between 30 and 50.00 per week just to keep up on the stories I was reading. All the off shoots really pissed me off. One day I just said I was done. I still love comics, but I haven't bought one in over a year. With comics, I would buy them, read them, and put them in a box.

A few years ago I dabbled in some Gentle Giant maquettes, collected a crap load of DC Ami Comi figures, and then I discovered SS. Since July 2012 I have bought five SS clones, HT Bespin Luke, HT Indy, waiting on my DX 12, and have a DX 11 on flex pay. So yeah, it's expensive. I wouldn't say that I'm pissing my wife off, because as long as I put them on flex when HT releases them for per order I don't spend anymore on these than I did on comics. What makes my figures different is that I don't read them, and put them in a box.

to sum it up

Federal Reserve Note = Has lost more of its buying power = Devalued Currency = (more) INFLATION

you can thank the fractional reserve banking, Debt money creation and the printing press (creating money out of thin air backed by NOTHING) folks ;)

Haven't been priced out but being more selective on what I want. I use to go all out on HT but since they've been putting out more Iron Man or rehash old characters (2.0 versions), they made it much easier on cutting down on expenses. Customs is not problem either, it's a matter if I can afford or not.

A few years ago I could spend $1000 and get 10 figures. Now I spend $1000 and get closer to 6 figures. Either way I'm still spending the same amount so :dunno

so you spend the same amount but get much less,how can you really be happy about that? :dunno

Nobody want to really look at the real reason why we are paying higher prices for everything

Yes...

But I've refocused on the insane task of building an R2, so... :(

Still get key, very key, pieces from time to time, but nothing at all is permanent in my collection any longer. I realized that recently when I sold my absolute prized statue ever.

Yes...

But I've refocused on the insane task of building an R2, so... :(

Still get key, very key, pieces from time to time, but nothing at all is permanent in my collection any longer. I realized that recently when I sold my absolute prized statue ever.
I would love to see pictures of your R2 unit. Have you posted any pic of your process?

Part of the reason is selection. The current offerings don't interest. $225 average HT prices made those maybe figures become pass figures.

Also have no interest in overpriced $500-1000 customs.

This is me right here. figures that were the "i'll probably get when I have the funds" are now complete passes. Really refocused all my collection/spending. Now just in for Superman, Depp and miscellaneous stuff that might come along and interest me.

Back