Anyone else been priced out of this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive given up on HT. I'm a huge Batman fan, and I would love to add the new Rises figures to my collection, but they just aren't worth the price anymore.

It's funny, now that I live near Hong Kong, figures are much easier to get than they ever were when I was in the UK. I went all in on TDK figures, and I paid £110 for the v1 Batman, my first HT figure. To me, that was expensive, but it was worth it. But prices are rising and the figures are coming thick and fast, and I just don't care any more. I earn more money than ever before and have a higher disposable income, but these figures are just not worth the asking price.

I've gone back to collecting smaller scale figures and eventually when I get the time I'll sell the HT that I don't want any more.

it's not the actual items you crave, it's the process of gathering them.

I think this affects quite a lot. People love the experience of discussing likeness and price and accessories and wiating for the figure to come more often than the actual figure.

That's an interesting question. For me, when I quit collecting replica light saber hilts from Starwars, I sold off everyone but my favorite. If I look back to when I collected comic cards, I never sold a thing —granted that was when I was a wee little boy who would never even think of selling anything.

I used to collect Star Wars replicas too :lol

Even though i'm only into statues and figures for the past few years i've still got my replicas, still love 'em

I had to drop Hot Toys in favor of statues. They've made it really easy to do with the huge ES, high prices and mostly, the respins.

I only pick up of couple of them here and there now. I'm statues mostly and I've really had to cut down on those as well.

I've got mostly just statues on order for mostly the same reason but also because with figures you can get into a habit of buying ones that are trending too easily. With statues because of the space needed and price i'm more selective.

I was selective on what I bought when I started this hobby and now I'm even more selective mostly due to space. The higher prices also factor in a bit more than before when I'm deciding to pull the trigger on a collectible.

I just looked at what Hot Toys releases are in stock at Sideshow and noticed they have several releases still in stock, which I would think would be sold out by now. More than likely they are still in stock, not only because some are not popular licenses, but the $200+ price tag is a deal breaker for more Collectors nowadays. I'm thinking back in the day those would be out of stock by now.

Financially permitting I would definitely keep my collection. Financially permitting I wouldn't have to worry about missing new stuff either. Finances will ultimately decide the matter one way or another.

I don't think it only comes down to finances. I stopped collecting for a long time then statue's perked up my interest, in another 5 years it could be something else or I might take a break.

I think it's important as a collector to realise the grass isn't always greener. If you learn to love your items it's easier on your wallet!

so hot toys is making huge edition sizes how do we know this to be a fact? they don't disclose numbers?

Outside of SS EX editions they hardly sell out, it's a given there is more than enough to go around. Plus they are making more toys than even the heaviest of collectors could keep up with financially.

I wonder why they don't disclose numbers. They have a huge market. I've been collecting them for years and I've noticed a huge difference how easily it is to get the newer stuff compared to the stuff years ago.

I wonder why they don't disclose numbers. They have a huge market. I've been collecting them for years and I've noticed a huge difference how easily it is to get the newer stuff compared to the stuff years ago.

They don't disclose the number, cause they probably make their "LIMITED" edition figures up to the 10,000 range.

I still remember back in the day when HT's were still limited, and would come out with certificates. Not that i had any of those.

Enterbay used to have certificates for their Bruce Lee line. Those i have all of them except Ver.1 Game of Death. Apart from their Black Label Bruce Lee, they only number the boxes now, but whatever... its not the same...~

Recently purchased the Battle-Damaged Predalien. That came with a certificate. Only 3000 made. Ah.. the good ol'days.

I have 2 preorders in and I am throwing this hobby out the window from the 20th floor! I got what I wanted for the most part.
1.prices keep getting higher
2. Quality is getting worse

After my wolf LSF. And batman EX. I'm done

The prices Hot Toys have been coming up with lately (i.e. Hall of Armors) are insane. I'm not going to be in this hobby much longer myself. Space has become an issue which will also make it easier to stop.

I'm happy with what I've got.

More stuff like Keaton Batman and Godfather will keep drawing in the quitters. We're slaves to nostalgia :lol

The prices Hot Toys have been coming up with lately (i.e. Hall of Armors) are insane. I'm not going to be in this hobby much longer myself. Space has become an issue which will also make it easier to stop.

I'm happy with what I've got.

Space is a major issue and I'm pretty much maxed out with just a few pre orders coming to fill the odd gaps here and there.
Money is an issue too as I look to start a family it's inevitable that this hobby will have to take a back seat moving forward.

Despite these two factors, the overriding urge to collect is still hardwired into my brain so even though financially I shouldn't go for the next shiny new collectible that "would look great in my collection" (something I've used to justify purchase after purchase) and I literally don't have the room ('89 Batmobile I'm looking at you!) what I'm saying is that I'll be saying the exact same thing in the next next similar thread that I see 2yrs from now!

Collecting and the urge to collect is a desease lol On one hand I look at my collection and I'm constantly in awe, on the other,it's a massive burden in terms of space and having to move it all when I move.

It's a blessing and a curse!!

Im scaling back on my Hot toys for sure, My main focus has always been Iron man and Marvel stuff I love HT's stuff but prices and volume are killing me, Id rather have a modest display of key pieces than a whole room full, plus with other favorites like predator (which is what got me into HT) and Batman, its too much. Plus Hasbro's Marvel legends and Universe stuff is hitting all the right places for me and all the good stuff is comic based! so thats where Im sinking my money! plus you get to display more in the space you have. Ill keep some key HT like mk7 when it comes and most the batman stuff

I'm def. scaling back.

I used to buy any figure I thought looked good, but with the prices I just can't do it anymore.

I passed on all of the Avengers except for the Hulk, and that was because I got him for a steal.

I've also started to branch out into other companies. Right now DAM is actually impressive with their "Tears of the sun" figures. I can basically get the entire team for a decent price.

But I just have to be far more selective with what I purchase.

I am lucky because I started collecting before my kids came along and built up a pretty huge inventory, which has skyrocketed in value. What I have been doing is selling off the old ones to buy the new ones (if its an improved figure). Also I am eliminating a lot of the "thats cool" figures I bought in the past so I have more money to buy new ones that are "must have" if you know what I mean. When their figures were $130-$160, it was a lot easier to buy them all or a lot of them just because they looked cool, but at $190-$250 that becomes a lot harder to do.

The problem is that these manufacturers are okay with selling less if their overall profit goes up which I am guessing it is. So if they used to make $50 profit on each figure and sold 5,000 of them, and are now making $100 profit while only selling 3,000 of them, they are ahead! Basically once the curve starts going the other way is when prices will stabilize or decrease but so far they have not hit that point.

:goodpost: :exactly:

_______

How many of those who stop collecting keep the collection they've built?

I've often seen posts if people who have sold off everything when they quit buying more.

Is the hobby perpetual to the majority? Meaning if you no longer buy new ones you don't keep what you already have.

When "new and improved" versions of figures are coming out every few years, this attitude seems to be common.

Maybe as long as Hot Toys releases figures, this will be the case. If/when they go under, I could see people approaching the line in a different way... maybe more like vintage toy collecting, where you can pick and keep your favourites, without the stress of a newer version making it "obsolete" eventually.

quote Wanderer, Despite these two factors, the overriding urge to collect is still hardwired into my brain so even though financially I shouldn't go for the next shiny new collectible that "would look great in my collection" (something I've used to justify purchase after purchase)

Collecting and the urge to collect is a desease lol On one hand I look at my collection and I'm constantly in awe, on the other,it's a massive burden in terms of space and having to move it all when I move.

It's a blessing and a curse!![/QUOTE]

amen to that bud:slap

I'm not sure you can be priced out of being a collector but I would certainly agree you can be priced out of certain brands.

HT's Iron Monger figure is an interesting case in point.. it was the figure that finally made me want to pick up some HT figures.. but it is also eye wateringly expensive (even when on pre-order).. I think there is a tipping point on how far up prices can go, before what is still (on an international scale) quite a niche market, digs its heels in and stops buying.. or rather shifts its focus away from the uber premium products to alternatives.
I have always balked at premium prices on polystone figures for example, simply because they are fragile items.. I learned that lesson the hard way, via an accident with a ceramic piece of art.. back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I'm not sure you can be priced out of being a collector but I would certainly agree you can be priced out of certain brands.

HT's Iron Monger figure is an interesting case in point.. it was the figure that finally made me want to pick up some HT figures.. but it is also eye wateringly expensive (even when on pre-order).. I think there is a tipping point on how far up prices can go, before what is still (on an international scale) quite a niche market, digs its heels in and stops buying.. or rather shifts its focus away from the uber premium products to alternatives.
I have always balked at premium prices on polystone figures for example, simply because they are fragile items.. I learned that lesson the hard way, via an accident with a ceramic piece of art.. back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.
--

I remember when I purchased the HOT TOYS ALIENS 1:6 POWER LOADER suit with the Ellen Ripley figure. I thought I spent a pretty sum back then in comparison to offerings & prices nowadays.

Agreed.. 2007, HT Power Loader with Ripley figure rrp $249.99.. 2012, HT Suit-up Gantry with Iron Man Mk IV figure, rrp $499.99.. and HT Iron Monger, rrp $479.99.
Even allowing for inflation and improving technical sophistication of the figures (counterbalanced with recession) that price trajectory gives pause for thought.

Imho, if the 'market' price ie. what the figures actually trade for (as opposed to some of the more unrealistic Ebay repeat re-listings) after they sell out at retail, becomes sufficiently lower than the rrp (taking currency disparities. into consideration), I think that would create a tipping point.. since I suspect the initial retail sales, are significantly bolstered by individuals buying figures specifically to resell.

Agreed.. 2007, HT Power Loader with Ripley figure rrp $249.99..

Wow, seems like an incredible deal now, eh?

Imho, if the 'market' price ie. what the figures actually trade for (as opposed to some of the more unrealistic Ebay repeat re-listings) after they sell out at retail, becomes sufficiently lower than the rrp (taking currency disparities. into consideration), I think that would create a tipping point.. since I suspect the initial retail sales, are significantly bolstered by individuals buying figures specifically to resell.

No doubt.

But despite the "unrealistic" Ebay listings, HT figures STILL go for big bucks on the secondary market. Not always but usually. And what with prices going up, you're almost certainly correct about more people buying to resell - why wouldn't they? "Scalpers" aside, even collectors would be smart to do so. You buy two, sell one, maybe cut the price of the one you keep in half, or less even, depending on when you sell and how hot that particular figure gets.

I guess we'll see the tipping point eventually. Hot Toys (and especially Sideshow, since their figures are approaching HT prices without the equivalent quality of tailoring and paint) should be careful... sad thing is, though, is that I don't think we've quite reached that point yet. Close, but not quite.

Wow, seems like an incredible deal now, eh?

Yup! :lol

..But despite the "unrealistic" Ebay listings, HT figures STILL go for big bucks on the secondary market. Not always but usually. And what with prices going up, you're almost certainly correct about more people buying to resell - why wouldn't they? "Scalpers" aside, even collectors would be smart to do so. You buy two, sell one, maybe cut the price of the one you keep in half, or less even, depending on when you sell and how hot that particular figure gets.

I guess we'll see the tipping point eventually. Hot Toys (and especially Sideshow, since their figures are approaching HT prices without the equivalent quality of tailoring and paint) should be careful... sad thing is, though, is that I don't think we've quite reached that point yet. Close, but not quite.

I'm not saying all the Ebay listings are overpriced (just the ones that can't find a buyer).. on very limited edition figures, the prices may well fairly accurately reflect supply and demand.. and the figure will sell in the end, although probably for a negotiated, 'best offer' price.

I certainly agree there may be a little wriggle room left in current retail pricing and naturally if a collector can offset the cost of his/her own purchase by adding an extra figure to sell on, then that is going to be appealing.. but I suspect that there is some kind of psychological barrier on 'resale' market pricing here in the UK (unless a collectible is rare and very, very much in demand).. certainly a lot of even the most popular collectibles seem to start to run out of buyers on the 'secondary' market, somewhere in the £400 to £500 range.

Back