Anyone else been priced out of this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darthrazz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
As some of you know, last year due to an illness in my family, I sold off all of my collectibles, mostly Sideshow and Hot Toys. I figured when things got better I'd slowly buy them back.

I've been away from this hobby for just over a year and come to the conclusion that I've been priced out of this hobby. I checked what some items, like the Hot Toys Jokers, Batman, Ironman etc. are going for price wise, albeit mostly on EBay, and realized that to rebuild my collection would be too costly. I either raise two kids or have a cool collection! Anyhoo, I'll hope to continue participating in this forum, but as an observer! :wave

Just wondering has anyone else been priced out as well?

I've been mostly away from this forum, so if a thread like this exists I apologize.

time is money my friend.

It's such a shame that this is the way it's progressing. The prices on evilbay are ludicrous. Fortunately i've been able to get most of what i've wanted when it's come out but theres always figure thats are long sold out when you start collecting, that you wish you could still get for a reasonable price

I spend about as much as I ever have, I just get less for my money. Which I can live with cause its like that everywhere I go, grocery store, gas station, whatever. Such is life.

I either raise two kids or have a cool collection!

Does it have to be an "all or nothing" deal? Can't you just buy your two or three favorite figures and call it a day? If a new favorite comes out you can just sell one from your current collection and still be "active" in the hobby with a small stable of prized and rotating figures.

I've moved away from 1:6th for the most part. The price of these has gotten even closer to statue prices and for me I'd rather get statues from The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit than 1:6th figures from other licenses. Price wise and money wise it makes sense to get a few pieces from Middle-earth than action figures from other licenses.

A lot of people are saying ''I've been priced out...once I get X figure and Y figures I'm out''.

:lol

I'm one of them. Theres certain things that I feel like I really and truly want and will buy at what they force me to pay. But casual purchases are gone, now and in the future. It has to be a long-held want and even those may get wittled down.

Does it have to be an "all or nothing" deal? Can't you just buy your two or three favorite figures and call it a day? If a new favorite comes out you can just sell one from your current collection and still be "active" in the hobby with a small stable of prized and rotating figures.

You make a valid point.

I'm one of them. Theres certain things that I feel like I really and truly want and will buy at what they force me to pay. But casual purchases are gone, now and in the future. It has to be a long-held want and even those may get wittled down.

That's where I'm at. Like I said I'm getting stuff from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit only (with a few exceptions). That will be what I focus on going forward and when I wind down my collecting days doing.

I still try to collect but as much as these cost I am getting FAR less for the money. It makes it easier to pass on so many things just to get the ones I really want. The pendulum has swung too far to the extreme and I hope Sideshow, Hot Toys, Enterbay and Medicom are realizing that they are only hurting themselves with their greed. Lower edition sizes versus higher cost means they are selling less then they would at more reasonable price points. Henry Ford Business 101.

My second kid has started school this year, and the fees are around two-three times what I'd spend on figures in a year. I'll be moving from a figure-per-month to a figure every two-three months. I'm fine with it. Truth is there's probably only two figures in any given year that I think are truly and properly cool and worthy of their MSRP.

Ive definately been priced out and have ordered nowehere near as much as i used too recently.
Currently i have 3 PF's and 3 Hot toys on flexpay, and im only keeping them because it would be a waste to cancel. After that, im pretty much done. Also have a baby on the way, so that will cut spending $$$ on this hobby even more.
I remember when Hot Toys where under $130 and i would think, these are great for the value im going to collect these for sure....... fast forward years later and now its become too unaffordable to get all the ones i want. I was planning to get all the Avengers, but now have to settle for Cap, IMMKVII and Thor. Im desperatley trying to find a way to cram Hulk in there.

I find im coming full circle in my collecting now though....
Apart from the 3'3/4 figures in my collection from when i was a kid, i started out with Mcfarlane/Neca figures, then upgraded to gentle giant busts/statues, then upgraded to sideshow 12 inch and premium format, then added hot toys, now im finding ive come back down to Neca figures for the most part. For what we are getting now from Neca, im happy to collect the small cheapy figures instead of spending hundreds of dollars on excessivley overpriced hot toys and sideshow statues.... :wave

The 1:6 hobby for me has gotten more expensive overall, but I primarily focus on 1:6 female figure offerings in addition to the GI JOE line from SIDESHOW and the occasional one offs from HOT TOYS & other companies and a few specific PFs & statues from SIDESHOW.

I've read other collectors going through the same thing, but I ask the following . . .

Do you feel it's an entitlement/right to collect at an affordable price within the hobby?

The blunt, direct, & simple response to that is . . .

If you can't afford it, then pass on it. This hobby is a "want" and not necessarily a "need" (i.e. to live, etc.) such as a car, home, etc. It's a luxury.

Yes. Some collectors have been priced out of the hobby for a variety of reasons, but it somehow comes off like a "sour grapes" attitude.

Many of us still collect because we either have the necessary disposable income and/or make the necessary choices/decisions in how we continue to collect & enjoy the 1:6 hobby (or any hobby) within our means.

Like Khev stated . . . does it have to be an all or nothing deal/scenario?

If my financial situation changes (i.e. unemployment, unexpected financial situation, etc.) . . . I know where my priorities lie and the 1:6 hobby will take a back seat, but I'm not going to be bitter/sour grapes about it.

Given your circumstances, it sucks and I empathize and feel for you as a collector.

A few years ago I could spend $1000 and get 10 figures. Now I spend $1000 and get closer to 6 figures. Either way I'm still spending the same amount so :dunno

I'm spending as much as i ever did i think.

A lot of people are saying ''I've been priced out...once I get X figure and Y figures I'm out''.

:lol

:exactly: :lol

For me its: X-Men First Class figures, Batman (Arkham City), Expendables & BTTF, maybe Robocop

Thing is people complained about the Storm Shadow price, saying they'd get it at $180 or less, but then go and spend $280 on a Tony Stark without qualm.

People will only pay big prices for "trending" licenses and complain if a non-trending figure desn't cost nearly half even though it costs the same to make :slap :cuckoo:

You can't have it both ways people, you send the message that you'll pay increased prices so they price them all accordingly.

Everything has gone up, so to complain that something should be cheaper than another is ridiculous

A few years ago I could spend $1000 and get 10 figures. Now I spend $1000 and get closer to 6 figures. Either way I'm still spending the same amount so :dunno

Not Hot Toys. They are pushing the $250-$300 mark now. For a grand I'd be lucky to get 3 or 4 after tax and shipping.

Back