Anyone else been priced out of this hobby?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've actually done pretty well selling off older figures to pay for newer ones. Prices on these things often go way higher than they should, so that's good for allowing a collector to keep up with collectible inflation when going to buy something new.

Mostly though, I'm getting more and more into overpriced customs. Bad news is they are overpriced. Good news is they appreciate in value at a stupid crazy rate. So, I can sell a figure I paid $750 for a couple years ago for over $2K now. My collection wins!

I've gone long periods where nothing in this hobby interests me....

Those are dark times... I like it better when there is a million things I can't afford...

in all honesty EVERY single figure has a shelf life... Last years greatest will be next years storage problem...

If you do the math, you cannot just keep adding adding adding, because your house would need to grow too. Fact is things need to go out too, live their time in your house, and go...

Moral of the story, it's good to want, it means there is something to look forward to...

And if you can't afford it "yet", some bloke will get tired of looking at what you want and you can get one cheaper later..... :dunno

I have cut down abit like other stated, mainly spend about the same and get less for the money, I know people have stated that you can just sell off the old collectible and buy a new one, seems to be the trend these day and from my experance tha really don't work out well, or as easly as you would think.

I'm not one to do that kind of collecting, I buy what I like and keep it as thats what collecting really kinda is, the otherway is like leasing, you buy use it and sell it, and most times you will not get your money back and if you do you will have to wait awhile for the right buyer, but with the over saturated market and hot toys loading up on out put these things don't go up in value like they once did.

I put up a for sale thread and priced my stuff well below ebay and got little response, lowered even further and still nothing. I wanted to simply slim down my collection not give it away so I closed the thread. Point being buy only what you really want and don't plan on it as and investment cause it is not, you may get lucky here and there but not in general, buy to collect and only what you can afford then you will be happy.

I would love to see pictures of your R2 unit. Have you posted any pic of your process?

No process yet. Just getting set up, some tools in place, and amassing the parts necessary for the dome only right now. There should be a small update to my thread on Thursday when I have time to arrange the build space...

Thanks. :D

Hey guys, and maybe gals. I have a dumb question. When HT says a figure is limited why don't the say the number of pieces it is limited to, or do they?

I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder, but rarely do I sell stuff. I sold a Humberto Ramos commission on eBay once for what I paid, but after all the fees I lost my a&@ on it. So not only did I lose money, but I felt horrible because I loved that commission. It is nice though to know the things we love so much have value past what we paid.

I have always been great at managing my finances but lately, I haven't saved a dime and I have been spending way more than I should. I'm actually considering getting a second job just so I can help finance my collection, though lately, there hasn't been a day where I don't think about selling most and cutting back on what I buy. The next few months will be decisive to me. If the prices keep going up and the rate of which products get released gets higher I'll sell most of my stuff and refocus my collection.

If the prices keep going up and the rate of which products get released gets higher I'll sell most of my stuff and refocus my collection.

Yeah really, who needs Collection Intervention? This hobby is the great reconciler.

so you spend the same amount but get much less,how can you really be happy about that? :dunno

Nobody want to really look at the real reason why we are paying higher prices for everything

1. Rise in prices across the board
2. Additional gouging because they know people will pay it for certain characters

in all honesty EVERY single figure has a shelf life... Last years greatest will be next years storage problem...

If you do the math, you cannot just keep adding adding adding, because your house would need to grow too. Fact is things need to go out too, live their time in your house, and go...

Moral of the story, it's good to want, it means there is something to look forward to...

I dont get this.

Is the hobby always about adding? About not being satisfied with a current collectible and upgrading?

The whole experience and hobby means nothing if every collectible is just a placeholder for the next version. I've got my one and only Jack Sparrow figure and that's it for Jack Sparrow.

I'm buying the Rhino comiquette not so i can keep it for a short while and sell it for a future Rhino statue, i'm buying it because it looks amazing, i want a Rhino statue and this is the one that i've chosen to buy and keep to represent that character, that way it means something for the money, the discussion over size and likeness and paint and all of that means something as i'll be keeping it.

I have the Silver Surfer Com and won't get another as i have that for the Surfer in my collection. Same with Hot Toys War Machine, i don't want the new one as i have a perfectly good one already.

People here have expressed a lack of interest partly because of all the 2.0's and remakes of previous figures and characters, surely that says something :dunno

I don't know about the rest of you but when i buy a character i mostly aim for that product to be THE representation of that character in that format in my collection, not just a placeholder for a 2014 version.

Granted everyone has a favourite character and like to collect lots of that same character, Averone and Iron Man, Shai and Hulk, A-Dev and Terminator. That i can understand as they keep each version they buy.

For me It's Spider-Man, i don't buy everything but i have lots of various Spider-Man collectibles and add to that without each replacing the previous one.

The whole 'buying a collectible with a plan to keep it for a year or two and sell it to get the latest model' takes the specialness out of the hobby and collectible imho

I have cut down abit like other stated, mainly spend about the same and get less for the money, I know people have stated that you can just sell off the old collectible and buy a new one, seems to be the trend these day and from my experance tha really don't work out well, or as easly as you would think.

I'm not one to do that kind of collecting, I buy what I like and keep it as thats what collecting really kinda is, the otherway is like leasing, you buy use it and sell it, and most times you will not get your money back and if you do you will have to wait awhile for the right buyer, but with the over saturated market and hot toys loading up on out put these things don't go up in value like they once did.

I put up a for sale thread and priced my stuff well below ebay and got little response, lowered even further and still nothing. I wanted to simply slim down my collection not give it away so I closed the thread. Point being buy only what you really want and don't plan on it as and investment cause it is not, you may get lucky here and there but not in general, buy to collect and only what you can afford then you will be happy.

:goodpost: :clap

Last edited:
My spending has cut down a lot. Of course when I first started collecting SSC and Gentle Giant type items I went crazy. Now I just need a few pieces and I can wait for them. Only item on order is Rhino EX

1. Rise in prices across the board
2. Additional gouging because they know people will pay it for certain characters

and why are prices rising across the board? The additional gouging (if any) is not as high as you think ;)

I said 2-3 years ago on here that you were going to see HIGHER prices for costs of Goods/Collectibles...and we are seeing it everywhere across the board and now Collector's are finally feeling it and complaining about it.

Let's look at the REAL root of the problem....your pieces of paper (your Federal Reserve Notes) do not buy what it used to,as the Dollar has continually lost its purchasing power(has been for YEARS!) The more they print,the more they create money through lending creating debt,the more you'll see the purchasing power of the dollar destroyed!

Devalued Paper = INFLATION across the board...PERIOD! It's a simple fact (and just think,you get to work hard for that devalued piece of paper they call money)

and you havn't seen anything yet! expect higher prices in 1-2 years

and why are prices rising across the board? The additional gouging (if any) is not as high as you think ;)

I said 2-3 years ago on here that you were going to see HIGHER prices for costs of Goods/Collectibles...and we are seeing it everywhere across the board and now Collector's are finally feeling it and complaining about it.

Let's look at the REAL root of the problem....your pieces of paper (your Federal Reserve Notes) do not buy what it used to,as the Dollar has continually lost its purchasing power(has been for YEARS!) The more they print,the more they create money through lending creating debt,the more you'll see the purchasing power of the dollar destroyed!

Devalued Paper = INFLATION across the board...PERIOD! It's a simple fact (and just think,you get to work hard for that devalued piece of paper they call money)

and you havn't seen anything yet! expect higher prices in 1-2 years

But prices are rising for everyone... not just the US.

Exactly. Hot Toys is in HK and they have to pay more every time they raise the prices. It's not just the weakened American dollar. It's the the world economy and corporate greed.

I collect only 1:6 Boba Fetts. I have absolutely no desire to own/buy anything else. I'm 21, and also have a kid.

Exactly. Hot Toys is in HK and they have to pay more every time they raise the prices. It's not just the weakened American dollar. It's the the world economy and corporate greed.

Right! as your countries currency has lost its purchasing power aswell, since the American dollar is still considered the World's Reserve currency

which means your currency reflects off from the American US Dollar ;)

The economy sucks because of corporate greed yes,but the Economy also sucks because it takes MORE Federal Reserve notes to buy goods, while people's salaries stay the same....its hurting almost everyone

--

And expect to see another anyone else been priced out of this hobby thread in 1-2 years.

How many of us will still be collecting 1-2 years from now?

I'll still be collecting :lol high end though? Not sure. One thing that never ends for me are Transformers but even that has lessened with prices hikes.

I am out of any 1/6 line (and have been for about 6 months) because they are just not worth it to me anymore... Too little bang for the ever increasing buck. I have gone a little crazy with statues though but I think I need to cut back on those as well.

Right! as your countries currency has lost its purchasing power aswell, since the American dollar is still considered the World's Reserve currency

which means your currency reflects off from the American US Dollar ;)

The economy sucks because of corporate greed yes,but the Economy also sucks because it takes MORE Federal Reserve notes to buy goods, while people's salaries stay the same....its hurting almost everyone

oh no... our currency is flourishing :)
Its more the prices in HK i was talking about.

Back