Anyone ditch Cable and Dish

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadMoon

Demi G0D Overseer
Reaction score
My wife and I moved into a new home and we can't get cable installed for about 3 weeks. So I bought a real cheap antenna and to my surprise I get all the locals in great HD and surround sound!

I knew about getting the HD locals but didn't know about the surround (5.1 aspect)

So now I'm wondering if I just get internet from comcast and then go with Tivo, Netflix, and Hulu, will that work for me. I will obviously miss a few channels but that about setup is about $65 a month!

Anyone try this cheap ass route? Your thoughts?

I just recently dropped DISH Network after the whole contract thing with AMC earlier this month. The shows on AMC were some of the few shows I actually watched. The main reason I had DISH Network originally was for the NBA ticket, but this coming season that will be available to stream on my XBOX 360.

I have also gone the Netflix and Hulu Plus route. If you have a Xbox 360, you can also get access to Amazon Instant Video where you can pay per episode. This is where I will be able to watch those AMC shows along with a few of my other favorites (deadliest catch, American Pickers, Pawn Stars, Louie, etc)

My girlfriend and I haven't missed the Dish at all yet, or the $120 monthly bill :yess:

I ditched them. Don't miss them a bit. Mostly all crap that those stations carry anyway.

My wife and I moved into a new home and we can't get cable installed for about 3 weeks. So I bought a real cheap antenna and to my surprise I get all the locals in great HD and surround sound!

I knew about getting the HD locals but didn't know about the surround (5.1 aspect)

So now I'm wondering if I just get internet from comcast and then go with Tivo, Netflix, and Hulu, will that work for me. I will obviously miss a few channels but that about setup is about $65 a month!

Anyone try this cheap ass route? Your thoughts?

I dont know what you can miss besides reruns and reruns and more reruns, and commercials,
I hate Cable, is 24 hours of reruns of the same shows and showing the same movies every weekend, plus the awful, the God awful commercials,
I think going to netflix route is better, you watch what you want when you want, don't have to deal with commercials, seems like a good idea

I like Direct TV. I've been under contract with them for 9 years and wouldn't go back to cable for anything.

My parents have Dish Network at their vacation home because it is all that's available. And it SUCKS.

I dropped cable about 2 years ago. Netflix and Hulu+ give me everything I need except live local baseball. That's the one thing I miss.

I'm thinking about dropping our cable once we move into our house, and then just go with Hulu plus to keep up with all of our shows, and then maybe just continue to use Amazon instant video if we want to rent something.

We have to keep our cable now because we pay 50 bucks through our complex as it is, which is not optional.

I dropped Dish about 6 mo. ago. I can pick up about 20 local digital stations and don't miss paying $80 per month for crap on satellite. Now I get crap for free :lol

Going to get Hulu and Netflix soon but right now the Library and Redbox keep us going on movies.

So yeah - screw cable and satellite.

I dropped cable about 2 years ago. Netflix and Hulu+ give me everything I need except live local baseball. That's the one thing I miss.

This is my big problem. My sports are history outside of football.

But I think for the price a sacrifce must be made.

My parents ditched Dish, Xbox 360 has access to most things (Hulu and Netflix). They can also watch local channels over the air, or hook up the computer for things that they can't get any other way. Only thing though is channels like TNT where the only way to watch online is if you have a TV provider already, so they use our login for that.

My parents ditched Dish, Xbox 360 has access to most things (Hulu and Netflix). They can also watch local channels over the air, or hook up the computer for things that they can't get any other way. Only thing though is channels like TNT where the only way to watch online is if you have a TV provider already, so they use our login for that.

Your login please? :lol

This is what's bad for me. My mother watches the Indians faithfully and I have to have cable to get this. I watch very little TV anymore other than AMC and CBS.

Back